Whirley Pop

The kids are home for Spring Break this week and they are hungry every 2 hours. A favorite snack of theirs’ is popcorn. But what is really funny is that they do not ask for popcorn any more, they ask for Whirley Pop. I think, just like me, that they have figured out that Whirley Pop makes the best darn popcorn known to mankind and if they request “popcorn” they may receive air popped, microwaved, or bagged popcorn and are unwilling to run that risk.

Last summer we spent a week with my cousins in Boston and were treated to Whirley Pop every night. Big bowls full of the crispiest, crunchiest popcorn I have ever had. Then my cousin made an even bigger batch of kettle corn which threw me into a salty/sweet coma. My cousins order their popcorn in 25 pound bags, they are that serious. When we got home from our visit we immediately purchased our own Whirley Pop from Sur la Table but you can get them on Amazon too.

Each batch pops up crispy and light, as you control the amount and type of oil used. I use canola oil, Orville Redenbacher’s popcorn which I find works the best, and Morton’s popcorn salt, a very fine grain salt for more equal distribution. The popper comes with a cookbook of various popcorn recipes but our favorites are the kettle corn and plain ole popcorn. If you had been wondering what that strange pot appearing in some of my photos was, there you have it- the Whirley Pop.

1. EAT!
    Posted March 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

We are popcorn fanatics in our house. Never the microwave kind. I will have to check out the Whirley Pop – thanks!

2. Elle
    Posted March 19, 2008 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

We used to have one of these, and it made the BEST popcorn ever–you weren’t kidding! It ended up breaking after a LOT of use, and now I’m wondering why we never replaced it?!? Time for a new one. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Erin
    Posted March 19, 2008 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

I have this too! My boyfriend bought it for me (probably more like himself) for Christmas. It does make really great popcorn! Although we were never able to make the Kettle Corn come out. It burned horribly… Maybe you can give us a tutorial?

4. Cerulean Bill
    Posted March 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

I’ve heard people speak glowingly of how much better pan-popped is than microwaved bags (which seem to get drier and staler every year), but I never have all that much luck. Its nice to hear that gadgets like that really work. Not sure where I’d store it, though….

Fraid I have no idea what kettle corn even is, so if you elucidate, I’d like to know, too.

Posted March 20, 2008 at 5:24 AM | Permalink

eat!- you’re welcome
    elle- yes it is time to replace!
    erin- 1/3 c. popcorn
    1/4 c. white sugar
    1/4 c. canola oil
    the book says low heat but I use medium heat on my gas cook top. Crank like crazy from the beginning, it will take longer than regular popcorn to even start popping. Pull pot off as soon as the poopping slows down, you’ll get some old maids but better than burnt. Happy trying!

cerulean bill- We use ours so much that I keep it on my cook top or place it in the oven when I need all my burners. Kettle corn is crispy, crunchy not overly sweet popcorn that is lighter and not as sticky as caramel corn. A favorite at carnivals.

6. stonemaven
    Posted March 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

BWAHAHAHAHAaaa Another victim of the Whirly-pop conspiracy! We bought one at Goodwill for a buck several years ago, and now my husband picks them up at garage sales and such, just in case something happens to his. He now has 4, and would you believe all of them were pristine in the box and never used? I’m betting that is why folks sold them. If they’d tried them, they’d have never let them go! Our kids have never even tasted microwave popcorn!

7. DelKee
    Posted August 29, 2008 at 9:43 PM | Permalink

I bought a Whirley Pop today and made kettle corn. I was already a kettle corn lover, but now that I know how to make my own there will be no stopping me now! If you like kettle corn, go buy a Whirley Pop tomorrow!

Posted August 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

DelKee- The kettle corn is the best. We even made a bunch to sell at our school fair!

9. Anonymous
    Posted August 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

olive oil instead of Vegetable oil take Whirley popcorn to a new level. Healthier too!

10. Tina
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

We received a Whirly Pop as a wedding gift last year and use it ALL THE TIME!