Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Here are the recipes I used to make the baby shower cupcakes in the post previous to this one. Although the cake is from a box, making it convenient but not so healthy, it is a very moist and tasty cake. The addition of the coffee really brings out the chocolate flavor. The chips of course are a big treat in the cake but if you are making cupcakes stir the bowl of batter frequently as they sink to the bottom and it would be a crying shame to have some cupcakes without those yummy morsels. If you do not want to use a box mix (I am trying to get away from these) try Martha Stewart’s Devil’s Food Cake with Mrs. Milman’s Frosting. Excellent. Excellent! But do not forget to add the coffee to the cake batter, Martha missed that one. Wink.

Chocolate Mocha Cake
One pkg Devil’s food cake mix
1 3.9 ox. pkg instant chocolate pudding
2 cups sour cream
1 cup melted butter
6 eggs
One double shot espresso(or 2 T. instant coffee or espresso powder)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9×13 pan. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in sour cream, melted butter, eggs and espresso. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4minutes on medium speed. Blend in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50– 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. If you are going to make cupcakes this recipe will make about 4 dozen. Fill cupcake papers with 45 grams of batter or about 2/3 full. I like the weighing technique to get all the cupcakes the same size. Bake for about 10 minutes. Cool and frost. My cupcakes “fell” probably due to the amount of beating called for so if you do make cupcakes beat for less time.

Buttercream Frosting
2 – (1-lb.) pkg. Domino® Confectioners Sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 – 1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
1 T. vanilla

In large bowl using a hand mixer or a KitchenAid stand mixer, cream butter. Slowly add powdered sugar and blend well after each addition. Slowly add cream and beat faster until you get a light and fluffy frosting. Add vanilla and beat until blended. Frost cake or cupcakes immediately or refrigerate until ready to use bringing the frosting to room temp.

1. j*amy
    Posted May 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM | Permalink

this frosting is amazing!

2. j*amy
    Posted June 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

i used your “Baby” idea on some cupcakes this weekend!!

Posted June 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM | Permalink

j*amy- I am so happy that you used my idea. I feel so validated, like I am doing something worthwhile and people are noticing! Thank you for making my day!

4. Kerry H.
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

How do you make the word “baby” on the cupcakes? I am hosting a couple baby shower and really wanted to have cupcakes instead of a boring cake. I think these look great!

Posted July 21, 2008 at 6:45 PM | Permalink

Hi Kerry- I melted candy coating and poured it into a pastry bag with a very fine tip and piped these on to parchment paper to set. I made a ton of them so if I broke them I would have enough. Have fun, I hope this helps!

6. Kerry H.
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the advice. I can’t wait to make them! I looked at your previous post on the baby shower review and you gave some GREAT ideas. Exactly what I have been looking for. I didn’t want the shower to be too “baby” and was having a hard time finding advice/suggestions that weren’t plastered with pink and blue. Now I am actually excited to throw a baby shower!

Posted July 23, 2008 at 6:58 AM | Permalink

Kerry- Yay glad to help. Hope yours turns out great!

8. Nguyen Family Circus
    Posted September 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM | Permalink

How did you make the baby thing…looks gorgeous

9. Posted April 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

Just curious, do you know if you can write the word “baby” using regular chocolate? Or does it have to be candy coating?! Thanks!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM | Permalink

Regular chocolate should work fine. Have fun!
      Robin Sue