Easy Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese is a favorite in my house. We try to have it often to please the kids, and a few of us adults. My Mammy used to make Mac and Cheese that was so good, I think all she used was whatever cheese she had in her fridge some butter and milk, very rustic, very good. This recipe has taken me a while to get right and I know its good because one of my kids thought that it was Stouffers from the big red box. I will take that as a compliment.

Easy Mac and Cheese
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
4 cups milk
3 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
1 cup Italian Blend cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 -1/2 tsp. ground black pepper-optional
1 pound elbow macaroni

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and 2 T. salt, bring to a boil-this will be for the pasta. While you are waiting for the water to boil, melt butter in large sauce pan, over medium-high heat, then whisk in flour and mustard powder. Cook one minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add salt 1/2 tsp at a time tasting between additions to see if more salt is needed. The amount of salt depends on the cheese you used, mine required the full amount of salt called for. Lower heat to low and cover. Add pasta to the boiling water and boil for 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain the pasta and put back in the pot. Pour cheese sauce over the pasta and stir until blended. Add pepper if you would like. Cover pot and let set for 5-10 minutes (heat off) to set up. Serves 10-12.

Note- For the Italian Blend cheese, I use Trader Joe’s Quattro Formaggio Cheese a blend of Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina, and Provolone. Four Italian cheeses in one pack all shredded and excellent on pizza.

1. RecipeGirl
    Posted April 28, 2008 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

Looks perfectly creamy and good!!

Have you ever tried Trader Joe’s frozen mac n cheese? It’s absolutely the most decadent thing ever!!

Posted April 28, 2008 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

Recipegirl-we love the Trader Joe’s Mac and cheese but it is made on equipment shared with tree nuts and we can’t go there, so I have to make my own.

3. EAT!
    Posted April 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM | Permalink

My kids love the Stouffer’s mac and cheese. They will be thanking you this week when I make your recipe.

4. dobetter
    Posted April 28, 2008 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Oooo, a mac and cheese the entire family would enjoy!

5. The Scogin Family
    Posted June 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM | Permalink

Would this freeze very well?

Posted June 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM | Permalink

The Scogins- I don't ever remember freezing it so I am not 100% sure. If you try it, be sure to stir some extra milk into it when reheating as the sauce does get thick once chilled. My kids like it too much to have any go in the freezer, but now I am curious and may have to try it!

7. Justin Ver Burg
    Posted July 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

Any idea how to convert this into a whole wheat recipe? (whole wheat flour / whole wheat pasta)

Thanks a million!

Posted July 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

Justin- Just try it out and see how it goes. It will definitely taste different, a little more earthy. You may need more milk to the recipe to thin things out a bit.

9. Anonymous
    Posted October 30, 2011 at 3:52 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin

The 2 tablespoon of salt that goes into the pasta water is that table salt or kosher salt.

Posted October 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

Anon- kosher salt. Enjoy!

11. Rachel
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

This was so easy and so tasty! I loved the blend of cheeses. Made me wonder why I’ve been sticking with just cheddar for so long!!