Ground Beef Series: Pound #5+ German Roladen

The fifth and final round, I mean pound. The grand finale of the Ground Beef Series. And boy its a good one. The German Roladen is a meat roll up filled with bacon, mustard and a dill pickle and usually made with flank steak but remember I am trying to be creative here. Don’t turn your nose up on this one, its a keeper. A hearty dinner main attraction saddled to side of homemade spätzle and brown gravy. Comfort food with a German accent, ja?

Ground Beef Series Recap
5 pounds ground beef= $12.01
5 amazing meals= est. cost $60.00
one family sick of beef= PRICELESS

To see all the recipes used in this series click Ground Beef Series in The Big RK Recipe Index on the right.

German Roladen
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
spicy brown mustard
4 slices bacon
4 dill pickle spears, drained on paper towels
3 T. olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
4-5 T. flour
2 1/2 cups good beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Divide meat into four 6 ounce portions and press into a flat rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Spread a teaspoon of mustard on each patty. Wrap each pickle with a slice of bacon and place in the center of each patty. Press all sides together, completely surrounding the pickle. In a large skillet with a fitting lid, heat oil and brown onions and each side of the roladan. Once browned, remove the roladen to a plate and add flour to the onions stirring well. Slowly whisk in broth and bring to a boil stirring occasionally until thickened. Lower heat and replace roladen to the skillet, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Strain off any fat and serve roladen sliced in half over a bed of buttered noodles and gravy. Serves 4.

Auf Wiedersehen

1. The Shmoopies
    Posted April 29, 2008 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

I’m not gonna lie… this one scares me a little bit. But I love beef. Love bacon. Love pickles. I might have to get adventurous and give this one a try!

Posted April 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

shmoopies-we did eat some different things in Germany but this one tastes a bit like a burger with a pickle!

3. Diedra
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM | Permalink

I think this could be made into meatballs with a little surprise inside.

4. Anonymous
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM | Permalink

I have had these in a German Resturan in Riverside, California.

They were made of very thinly sliced beef. However, I seem to remember a different kind of filling.

Delicious with german fried potatoes.

5. Deana
    Posted April 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

This almost looks like an inside out bacon burger!!! Gotta try it!

6. MarkusR
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

I have to give this recipe a try (replacing the pickle and mustard with sauteed onion)!

I have not tried the ground beef version of Rouladen but my family origins are from southern Germany and we omit the pickle and mustard and just use bacon and onions on the inside .