Mini Ham and Cheese Rolls

We had a friend of ours, Armin, visit from Germany Sunday and we took him and his coworker, Heike, downtown to see what was left of the cherry blossoms along with a few monuments and a smashing view of D.C. from the Old Post Office Pavillion. Boy was it cold. So we came back to a pot of Starbucks (sie lieben Starbucks!), these tasty sandwiches that I put together in the morning, homemade Easy Mac and Cheese , fresh fruit, and my coleslaw. Then we dined on the German chocolates that they brought. Mmmm.

Mini Ham and Cheese Rolls
2 T. dried minced onions
1 T. prepared mustard (I used Dijon)
1 T. poppy seeds
1 stick melted butter
1 dozen dinner rolls or 2 dozen party rolls- I used 1 doz. Martin’s Famous Dinner Potato Rolls
1/2 pound ham
1/2 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 325°. In a small mixing bowl mix onion, mustard, poppy seeds, and melted butter. Leaving the dinner rolls intact, slice them open so that you have one solid top and bottom. Place the bottom half on a baking sheet or in a 9×13 inch baking pan, the pan size will depend on choice of rolls. Line the bottom half of the rolls with cheese slices and ham. Return the top part of the rolls and drizzle the butter mixture evenly over top. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Now use a sharp knife and separate the little sandwiches. Place on a pretty platter and serve immediately.

Note– These can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, may require 5 more minutes of baking. Also can be prepared ahead and frozen. Defrost in refrigerator overnight and bake as directed. I love keeping a pan of these in the freezer for emergencies. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.

Another Note– The picture was taken just prior to baking the sandwiches. They will come out golden and melty from the oven.

1. EAT!
    Posted April 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

My daughters LOVE these little sandwiches. I always keep the ingredients on hand.

2. Nicole
    Posted April 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM | Permalink

Yum! Another great dish. Sort of an American croque monsieur!

I have always wanted to see the cherry blossoms in DC. Maybe one day… My husband has family there. He grew up in Falls Church. You must know that area if you are so close to DC.

I think your blog is great and have given you an award. Check it out here:

3. Kate
    Posted April 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

Oooooooooooooooh. I read a recipe similar to this on a big corporate site, and thought “could be good, could be good.” I’m visual, however. I won’t buy a cookbook without photographs, and I seldom print a recipe without one, as well. Your photo does GREAT justice to it … I want some right now. Or for movie night.

Also, I’m from Washington, D.C., originally. We moved away when I was 10 years old, so have been gone for a few decades. I remember those blossoms!

4. dobetter
    Posted April 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

Oh.my.gosh. Those sandwiches look fantastic! Well done! Nice photos.

5. noble pig
    Posted July 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

Must make it!!!

6. Holly
    Posted August 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Man …. these look GOOD!

7. Hannah
    Posted July 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

These are one of my ALL-TIME favorite little Sammiches EVER, they are small in size and HUGE in taste, and to this day I’ve never been left with leftovers… If you haven’t tried these little guys, dont wait another second they are mind-blowingly awesome!!

8. Kelly
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

I made these delicious sandwiches. I made ham and turkey. I also brushed melted butter on the top and added shredded parmasean with poppys. DELICIOUS!!!!