Cream Cheese Cookie Bars

More fun with cookie dough! Last week I made a double batch of Toll House’s Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies. Two dozen cookies were baked up immediately for my kids’ school lunches, five dozen cookie dough balls were made up and frozen for future use, three of which were used for the Cookie Dough Cupcakes last Friday, and last but not least, I put aside three cups of cookie dough to make Cream Cheese Cookie Bars. These cookie bars are a popular treat in our home. The recipe is so simple, it may be good for beginner bakers as the little ones will surely love pressing cookie dough into the baking dish. The bars are also great for potlucks and usually bring many recipe requests. Make some this week with your favorite cookie dough. I think the possibilities may be endless.

Cream Cheese Cookie Bars
1- 8 ounce brick cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
3 cups chocolate chip cookie dough

Preheat oven to 350°. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, mix the first four ingredients until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on med-high speed. Into an 8×8 inch greased baking dish, evenly press 2 cups cookie dough. Pour cream cheese mixture over top and spread to edges of dish. Break the remaining dough into small pieces and sprinkle over top of cream cheese mixture. Lower oven heat to 325° and bake bars for 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out (almost) clean. Let cool completely out on the counter before cutting into 16 equal pieces. Chilling in the refrigerater for one hour before removing cut bars prevents breakage. Refrigerate leftovers (if any!)

Note- I baked my bars for about 38 minutes. Although the tester came out with a little cream cheese mixture on it, I still removed the bars from the oven and they set up nicely once they cooled. I did this to avoid overcooked edges.

1. EAT!
    Posted May 6, 2008 at 8:54 AM | Permalink

I am impressed that the cookie dough actually makes it to the freezer. I don’t think I would have such will power.

Posted May 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

eat!- Oh wait I forgot to blog about the dozen frozen cookies I snarfed down while hiding out in my pantry so the kids wouldn’t catch me!

3. Nicole
    Posted May 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

This looks like HEAVEN! And I can feel my hips widening just by looking. Do you think you can swing by NY next week with some of these for me??? 😉

4. Nicole
    Posted May 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM | Permalink

PS. I TOTALLY hide and eat things I don’t think my kids should eat! Bad mommy!

Posted May 6, 2008 at 8:13 PM | Permalink

Nicole-What I wouldn’t give to get to NY…Hope you have a great time!

6. Ingrid
    Posted June 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM | Permalink

Oh, darn that looks wicked good! I need more photos. 🙂
    ~ingrid

7. vanillasugarblog
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM | Permalink

robin sue! you are an evil woman with magical talent.
    let's open that bakery…..

8. Posted August 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

This dough looks amazing, gooey and I absolutely need a piece of this right now!!!

9. Posted September 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

What a very good sight. Lots of stuff thats really appealing.

10. Sara
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM | Permalink

Next time I make this I will take out the egg in the cream cheese part. It makes it taste too eggy.

11. Samantha
    Posted November 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

What would happen if the egg was removed?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

The cream cheese may not set up?

12. Nora
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

If I double this will I be able to put it in a 9 x 13 pan? I’m sure it would require a longer period time in the oven.

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

Yes it would require a bit more time. Enjoy!

13. Posted March 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM | Permalink

So where do I find the recipe for this cookie dough? do you have it in the measurements needs to make 3 cups of the dough needed for this recipe?

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

Use 3 cups of your favorite cookie dough. I like Toll House’s recipe. Enjoy!

14. Mary
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

have it in the iven now with oatmeal choc chip cookie dough can’t wait to try it!

15. chagit
    Posted May 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM | Permalink

could i make it in advance? have you ever? how much? should i freeze or just keep in fridge?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM | Permalink

Sure you can. Up to 3 days, and wrap tightly and store in the fridge. Or freeze for up to three months. Enjoy!

16. Kristin
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

This looks sooo good! I think I will make these today. With my time crunch was thinking of using store bought cookie dough. Does this work ok?

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

It should!

17. Posted June 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM | Permalink

I just put these into the oven. Can’t wait to try them, thought it would be a good use for a bar of cream cheese close to expiry. So happy I found this in my search.

18. Posted August 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

Omg!!! So glad I stumbled across this today. I made them and they turned out amazing. Thank you!!!

19. Posted April 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM | Permalink

Just thought you should know I featured this on my blog in a list called “TOP 20 BEST: Easy Dessert Bar Recipes (5 INGREDIENTS, or Less–As always)”.

Your cream cheese cookie bars truly are the best, and really are easy and delicious.

I’m proud to have ’em on my list. It’s at:

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

Thank you!!

20. Nancy
    Posted May 9, 2015 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

Why do you preheat the oven to 350, then turn down to 325 without cooking anything first?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 10, 2015 at 10:03 PM | Permalink

I did it this what to set the batter quickly, then the lower heat to cook the bars through without burning. Enjoy!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Cream Cheese Cookie Bars | Collector Of Recipes on March 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

[…] Recipe and photo by Big Red Kitchen. […]

2. By 50 Cream Cheese Desserts | Six Sisters' Stuff on October 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM

[…] Cheesecake Unbelieveable Carrot Cake Cream Cheese Mints Cream Cheese filled Snickerdoodles Cream Cheese Cookie Bars Raspberry Cream Cheese Buns Caramel Cream Cheese Dip Cream Cheese Sprinkle Cookies Pumpkin […]