Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

For my birthday, I received the KitchenAid Citrus Juicer Attachment and could not wait to try it out. I had a few oranges and grapefruit in my refrigerator and immediately juiced them up. Mmm, mmm. What flavor. On Thursday I went to the restaurant supply store and purchased a case of oranges and a case of grapefruit. That’s 56 oranges and 40 grapefruit, yeesh. Right away me and Zuzu, my middle boy, washed and cut in half 12 oranges and set up our production line. I juiced and he took pictures. It took some time as 24 halves is a lot plus my hand hurt but it was worth it. Look at how orange that juice is. I thought orange juice was yellow, obviously I had only drank it from the carton, so this was a revelation. The juice also had the consistency of apricot nectar, very sweet, thick and almost syrupy. Zuzu does not like OJ but said that this was the best he had ever had and to only make it homemade from now on, mom, ok? Umm, at 3 times the cost of the carton, no. It will be a treat now and again but not a daily occurrence.

So here are the particulars. Twelve oranges made 42 ounces of juice. I did strain the juice as we are not a pulpy family, yes we have texture issues. If you are interested, as my financial planning hubby was, it would cost $9.54 to make 1/2 gallon of the liquid gold. Was it worth it? Every sip was heaven, very worth it, and for Zuzu to love it, priceless! By the way, the grapefruit juice is fantastic as well, very sweet.

Memorial Day: We will always remember…Thanks Dan, Dad, Uncle Jimmy, Dave, and all our Army friends for serving our great country.

1. The Shmoopies
    Posted May 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM | Permalink

The one time Mr. Shmoopie made homemade OJ for me it was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, it was also the last. Isn’t it amazing how many oranges it takes to get a glass and how much work it is?

Posted May 25, 2008 at 8:46 AM | Permalink

the shmoopies- thanks for all your nice comments. Cupcake Monday would be a lovely holiday especially if we got the day off, we will have to call our congressmen. Oj making was some work but very worth it. You will be in bake sale mode before you know it, they grow up so fast!

3. EAT!
    Posted May 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM | Permalink

I am always amazed at how many oranges it takes to make a glass of orange juice. I think you would need to have a whole orchard to keep up with demand.

Posted May 27, 2008 at 8:37 AM | Permalink

eat!-it does take alot but it is a fun treat to have once in a while.

5. The truth
    Posted August 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

You are an idiot to choose carton/processed juice just because it’s cheaper.

6. RAY RAY
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM | Permalink

You used the wrong oranges. You have to use 100 size or 113 size (dependent on the time of year) oranges. These oranges typically have more juice and cost less as you get more juice to the amount of oranges. This works up to be less than half the price as what you paid. It still isn’t as cheap as the cartoon at the supermarket but its a lot closer than what you paid for your orange juice.

7. Chris
    Posted March 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

It seems easier just buying a carton of OJ.
    But I am looking into doing this for a couple of reasons.
    1 – healthier, no preservatives or anything in it.
    2 – there is just something about doing it yourself. It feels like you appreciate it more