Friday Night Food: Chicken Satay

Pairs well with Augustijn
For the rest of the Pack:
BREUGELRoasted Chick Peas
PIRAATPork Tenderloin with Apple Arugula Salad
BORNEM TRIPLECitrus Alaska Cod with Tahini Drizzle
BORNEM DOUBLEPasta Bolognese
GULDEN DRAAKKnock You Naked Brownies

You won’t need to frequent your favorite Thai restaurant for satay anymore. This recipe is fantastic. Serve with white rice and veggies for a main meal or alone as an appetizer. Thanks to my brother Rob for this one. Another perfect Friday Night Food. You have 24 hours to get what you need to make this succulent meal. Grab your canvas bag and run!

Chicken Satay
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in long thin strips
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T. Asian chili sauce or more to taste (I use Sriracha)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, white & green parts, sliced thin
1 recipe Satay Sauce

Combine the soy sauce, oil, chili sauce, brown sugar, cilantro, garlic, and green onions in a large bowl. Add long strips of the chicken and toss well. Marinate in the refrigerator for one hour. Thread each strip on to a 6 inch wooden skewer. Heat a greased cooktop grill to med-high heat and cook chicken for about 2-3 minutes on each side. You may grill these the same way on an outdoor grill. Serve with Satay Sauce. Serves 6.

Satay Sauce
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup water, hot
1 T. soy sauce
2 T. lime juice, about 1 lime
2 T. Asian chili sauce or Sriracha
1 T. brown sugar
1/2-1 t. curry powder
1 clove garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced thin

Whisk the peanut butter and hot water together in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a small serving bowl, and put aside to use for dipping the finished chicken. Or you may purchase a Thai peanut dipping sauce from the Asian section of you favorite grocer. I sometimes use “Lee Brand” from an Asian grocer.

Go on over to Artsy-Foodie for her gorgeous pictures of this recipe. Now excuse me while I bow down to her beautiful photography!

1. dobetter
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

That looks so good. I love how you arranged the food. Looks like something I would order in a nice restaurant.

2. That Girl
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

I love making chicken satay for company, in fact I’m thinking about getting one of these:

3. Kate
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 2:51 PM | Permalink

That looks so good and so easy! I’m going to try it this weekend.

4. Grace
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM | Permalink

chili sauce, brown sugar, cilantro, and peanut butter are some of my favorite ingredients, but i can’t say that i’ve ever had them all at once. methinks i’d like it.
    meanwhile, i love that your name is robin and your bro is rob. that’s fun. 🙂

Posted June 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

dobetter- It makes me feel human to make things look good. It makes the mundane somehow better.

that girl- Oh one of those looks real cool. Also a big marshmallow on each stick and chocolate dip on the left and hmm…what on the right?

kate- give it a go and let me know!!

grace- and my parents are Ro and Ron. Snort!

6. Beth
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM | Permalink

That looks fantastic. I was thinking of doing shish-kabob but now I think I’ll do this instead.

7. Michelle
    Posted June 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

I’ve never made chicken satay before, but my kids love it, so think I’ll try this recipe soon.

Posted June 20, 2008 at 8:00 AM | Permalink

beth- Thanks and enjoy!

michelle-do try it soon. I have done it with beef too, it was great!

9. Arika
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM | Permalink

This will be my Friday Night Food in 48 hours. Yay! How many did this serve? Thanks!

Arika

Posted September 18, 2008 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

Arika- This will feed about 6. Enjoy.

11. Arika
    Posted October 11, 2008 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

I made this a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it. Here’s where I wrote about it giving you credit of course =)
    Arika
    My Yummy Life

Posted October 11, 2008 at 8:43 PM | Permalink

Arika- Glad you liked and thanks for the props!