Homemade French Fries

I love French Fries. Sprinkled with seasoned salt, dipped in mayo and mustard, with a healthy dose of malt vinegar, French Fries have to be the best thing created by God and perfected by man. One can make a meal of fries by simply adding cheese, bacon, and sour cream. I know, Himself and I have done it before. And how about chili cheese fries 5e4ufidjvkcxn… whoa I just slid off my chair and hit my chin on the key board. That’s what fries do to me. I have a little puddle of drool in my lap as I type. While living in Europe, my sister-in-law, Ellen and I took a trip up to Belgium to shop in the village of Tongeren, where one can get the best antique deals. Some of the antiques are older than our country! We had an amazing dinner while in Belgium; Mussels and Pommes (French Fries). To die for. I better be careful or I’ll swoon again if I bring up any of my eating experiences while in Belgium. Pan Chocolat. I’m feeling weak…

There is really no recipe for making French Fries, just some rules:

1. Cut the fries as evenly as possible. No peeling necessary.
2. Be sure to use a heavy pot such a a Dutch oven. Mine is 7.5 quarts.
3. Be sure to use enough oil. I used a little under 1/2 gallon.
4. Be sure to get your grease hot enough before frying. About 350-375 degrees, using a thermometer helps. Set you cooktop to medium to medium high heat. The temperature will drop significantly once you add the fries, that is normal.
5. While you are waiting for the grease to heat, soak potatoes to prevent blackening. I used a salt and sugar mixture, kinda like a brine.
6. Just prior to frying, drain potatoes well. I stood mine up in my salad spinner and spun them like crazy.
7. Fry in small batches. I probably fried about 2 potatoes worth of fries at a time. I made two batches.
8. Never leave fries unattended! While they are frying, that is. Don’t leave them unattended period! Someone may get them all.
9. Once the fries are golden, remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt or a seasoned salt.
10. Let oil cool completely before draining pot into a container so that grease can be reused or discarded.

Note- If you are looking for some great Belgian Beer, go here: Global Beer Network. Owned by my cousin Cliff Lusso and long time family friend, Steve Villani or Pudge to us. Try the WITTEKERKE ROSÉ beer with its hints of raspberry eur;szhbgtj;igoer……

1. That Girl
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

How do you get your fries so skinny? Mine are always steak fries because frankly, that’s as thin as I can get!

Posted June 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

That girl- it’s a lot of work but I just keep cutting them smaller. I just found out my Great Grandmother cut them in potato stick size. Now that is hard, and my mom said that Mamma was heavy on the salt too but that they were the best fries ever. I think I will try it!

3. Beth
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM | Permalink

Mmmmmmmmmmm…. These look so good that I am now drooling. The only other type of potato I like better than homemade fries is homemade potato chips. I will be making these fries this week for sure.

P.S. Made the caramel bars, they were devine.

4. Michelle
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

OH MY…those french fries look delicious!

BTW, you’ve been tagged! Please visit my blog to find out the meme rules in my post titled “I’ve been tagged again”. Have a great day!

Posted July 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

Beth- I love homemade potato chips too, one of my friends did these at one of our Supper Clubs and served it with three different dips. Glad the bars turned out devine!

Michelle-Thanks! Give me a few days to think of interesting things about myself! I hope I have some. Tee Hee!

6. Layla
    Posted July 1, 2008 at 12:46 PM | Permalink

Those fries look beautiful! Also, thank you for the link.

7. Anonymous
    Posted July 2, 2008 at 5:15 AM | Permalink

I wonder wether you fry your fries twice? Because that is what they do in Belgium: first fry them at 120 degrees (Celsius that is) and after that, fry them again at 170 degrees (again Celsius). And never ever make them small, Belgian fries are big chunky things 😉

8. Miri
    Posted July 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

I found the recipe for fries just the way my granny makes them, and she’s learned how to do it from a Belgian woman…

If you cut the strips a little bigger, you might have to fry them a little longer than stated…
    Hope the next batch of fries you make looks even yummier than this one. 🙂

Posted July 14, 2008 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

Miri-Thanks for the tip! I love Kevin’s site, his posts on Fish and Chips Rock!!!

Posted July 16, 2008 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

Layla-Thanks I am enjoying your site.

Anon- thanks for the tip.