Tomato and Mayo Sandwich

The Tomato and Mayo Sandwich. Each of us can blurt out many things that “Summer is”. “Summer is” the beach, farmers markets, cook outs, long walks, baseball, vacation, good reads, s’mores, bike rides, cicadas, crabs, etc.! But one more thing to add to the list is the good ole Tomato and Mayonnaise Sandwich. Remember? Tomatoes picked fresh off the vine while still sunny warm, gobs of cold mayo, salt and pepper on two shingles of stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth Wonder™ bread. Memory lane heaven. When I was a little, little girl my folks tended a garden in the backyard and would let me eat the warm tomatoes right off the vine just as one would eat an apple. Their juices dripped from my chin rolling down off my elbows, the taste was happiness. Now that I’m a grown up foodie I still love my dog days of summer splurge but with a mature twist. The same vine-ripened, thinly sliced tomatoes but now tucked between just-born artisan bread, fresh ground course sea salt and black peppercorns, and pungent basil from my kitchen step herb garden. “Summer is” the Tomato and Mayo Sandwich all grown up.

Epilogue: Once, I offered hubby one of these blissful sandwiches to go with fresh guacamole and corn chips. He agreed but he would have his sandwich with peanut butter too please, “oh and by the way I really don’t like guacamole, never had.” I was rendered speechless, downright dumbfounded, reeling at the epiphany that I had married, for life even, someone who ate food, any food, for the sole purpose of filling his pie hole minus any desire for sapidity.

1. That Girl
    Posted June 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

I like to eat my tomatoes like apples too. Or sprinkled with just a touch of salt. My husband always looks at me like I’m crazy.

2. Sabrina
    Posted June 9, 2008 at 9:40 PM | Permalink

I am a Southern BLT girl. I just love the crunch of the bacon and lettuce with the softness of the bread and tomato. I may have to try a BBT (Bacon, Basil & Tomato). I just don’t think I can give up the bacon part. My mom used to serve tomatoes with mayo on a lettuce leaf as a salad. That is summer.

Posted June 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM | Permalink

that girl- nothing like a warm tomato from the garden. I have to get mine from folks that grow their own, I don’t have enough sun.

Sabrina-i love BLT’s too. Found a little shop in Williamsburg that grills them, ooh baby!

4. EAT!
    Posted June 11, 2008 at 8:35 AM | Permalink

Ohhh! I am waiting for Jersey beefsteak tomatoes!!

Posted June 11, 2008 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

eat!- I do miss Jersey produce. Everyone makes fun of NJ but I thought that if they could just taste our fruits and veggies. I grew up in south Jersey and we sould pick our own blueberries, strawberries, apples, and the tomato stands were the best! Oh and how bout the corn!!!

6. Lisa
    Posted June 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Yum! I love mayo and tomato sandwiches, especially if they are jersey tomatoes:)

7. Michelle
    Posted June 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

Your sandwich looks fabulous!!!

And thanks so much the “Blog of the Month”! So sweet of you!!!

Posted June 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM | Permalink

Michelle- Thanks, I am enjoying your blog so much!

9. Mike
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:32 AM | Permalink

mmm..looks delicious..love mayo..going to make a sandwich now..