Favorite Fish Patties

Even though everyone gives me a hard time about stinking up the house while cooking fish, they all seem to shut their traps when they bite into these over the top crispy Fish Patties. This is one of my quick, go to meals. It uses cooked fish, which I gently cook up in the microwave. How easy is that? Then mixed with a few other ingredients this dish is a snap. The baking powder is the secret. It gives this patty that extra crispness that I really like in a fish patty. I served these with tarter sauce and lemon wedges along side a big bowl of fresh pineapple and cantaloupe.

Favorite Fish Patties
1 pound wild caught, cooked fish, reserve any juice from cooking
1 egg
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. seasoned salt
few pinches of fresh cracked black pepper
1 1/2 cups oil for frying

Mix the first seven ingredients together well. If the batter seems a little dry add some of the cooking juices. I usually end up adding 1/8- 1/4 cup. Form into 4-6 balls, they will be wet and sticky, add to hot oil and gently press down into a patty. Fry until each side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve on grilled buns with tarter sauce. Serves 4.

Note- I used Wild Caught Dover Sole Filets to make this dish. I do like Trader Joe’s flash frozen fish packets. They are all about the right size to make this recipe. I have tried most white fish as well as salmon for these patties.

PS- Go to Panini Happy to see Kathy the Panini Queen in action with her take on this sandwich.

1. Karen Downing
    Posted July 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

I’ve got to say that your fish sandwich looks might tasty! Are your buns from TJ’s too? They look perfect for this dish.

Posted July 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

Karen- The buns are potato rolls from the regular grocery store. Thanks for stopping by!

3. That Girl
    Posted July 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM | Permalink

the smell is why I am no longer allowed to cook shark!

4. [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    Posted July 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

I love fish patties: it’s something I have to try to make real soon. Thanks for sharing.

5. Grace
    Posted July 6, 2008 at 6:50 AM | Permalink

my brothers went fishing for a total of about 15 hours this weekend and came back with three little trout. no fish patties for us…but yours look mighty tasty. 🙂

Posted July 6, 2008 at 9:01 AM | Permalink

thatgirl-ooh shark, now that’s good eatin’.

eatingclub-welcome! Give these a go, and let me know!

grace-that is too bad but give the story ten years and he caught the biggest trout in the lake, 40 of ’em!

7. RecipeGirl
    Posted July 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

This looks like a good, different sort of dinner (I’m a little weirded out by fishy smells in the kitchen but if you use already cooked fish then perhaps I can try it!)

Glad you liked those TJ burgers!

8. PaniniKathy
    Posted July 6, 2008 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

I love a good fish sandwich and that one looks and sounds perfect to me!

9. Michelle
    Posted July 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

I love Dover Sole and it’s been a while since I’ve had it! Your fish pattie burger looks wonderful!

I don’t like lingering fishy smells in my kitchen either. But I discovered if you put a cup or so of vinegar in a bowl and let it sit out over night, most of the smell is gone in the morning. Ammonia works well too.

Posted July 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

Recipe Girl- read Michelle’s comment. I’m trying it next time I cook something smelly!

PaniniKathy- Now build me a panini out of this sandwich. Your site is awesome. I am definately going to grill my next batch of chocolate chip cookies, those knocked me over!!

Michelle- Thanks for the vinegar tip. Will use. I have an amazing exhaust fan over my cook top so I am able to even deep fry with out repercussion! But the vinegar will help the fishy microwave pee-U!

11. Julie
    Posted July 7, 2008 at 2:26 PM | Permalink

Wow, this looks so good! I love fish sandwiches. I’ve made salmon patties before but was too put off by their dryness to try to repeat it. I want to try this recipe, though!

Posted July 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM | Permalink

Julie-thanks for stopping by, these are very moist sandwiches. Give them a try sometime.

13. Elizabeth
    Posted October 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

You have changed the way I will make a fish sandwich! I had the same Trader Joe’s fish you mentioned so I made your recipe. It was so good! Thank you!