Hearts of Lettuce Salad

Isn’t that picture dreamy? Doesn’t it remind you of years gone by when we used to sit for hours after church on Sunday eating a wonderful supper and sipping lemonade then taking a long slow stroll. That’s what we did yesterday. We had good friends over after church for just that. Eating. Sipping. Strolling. The above picture is of the children cooling off with a nice wade in the stream below our house. It was about a half a degree cooler down there.

Hearts of Lettuce Salad is an oldie but goodie. I had many of my older clients order this when I was a waitress so long ago. I had to laugh at the price of these simple salads too. Six bucks for a chunk of lettuce, iceberg no less! It is probably more now. This is a nice salad, a pretty salad. I like the tray of individual wedges and toppings. We joked with our friends and said that we were having a Wedgie Bar because everyone loves a good wedgie. Do you have friends whom you can be silly? Well the wedgies were a hit and I really liked these with my homemade Ranch Dressing, bacon, hard boiled eggs, shredded cheese, and tomatoes. I think everyone liked picking out their own wedgies.

I also served Rotisserie Roast Beef Sandwiches, a platter of watermelon, and my Easy Mac and Cheese. Oh and lemonade and limeade too.

Keep your eye on the cute little girl in pink. She is mine as well as the two toe-headed boys.

Do you think Diddle Boppus had to go potty or was she just lifting her shorts up to prevent them from getting wet?

You decide….

I have a list of things my children will never do. I think we all have (had) those lists. I will never have a child who picks their nose in public. Cross off. I will never have a child misbehave in a restaurant. Cross off. I will never have a child who has temper tantrums. Have two. Cross off. I will never have a child who holds their privates, especially in public, when they have to go potty. Cross off. Tear up list and just, well, surrender and laugh.

Epilogue- Diddle Boppus did “fall” in at one point but we will never know if it was a true fall or if she left a small donation to Wolftrap Creek. Or maybe she just had a Wedgie….Smile.

I will never have a child who picks their wedgies in public. Cross off. Give it up already.

1. EAT!
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 8:05 AM | Permalink

What a great day! Reminds me of when we used to visit my grandparents when we were growing up. When other kids had tantrums in the middle of Costco, my kids would look at them like they had never seen or experienced a tanturm of their own before. Yea right.

2. Grace
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM | Permalink

wedgie bar! i love it! oldies but goodies are the way to go. and hey–i still pick wedgies in public. i do it stealthily, but i still do it. 🙂

3. That Girl
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

That’s my husband’s favorite kind of salad.

4. Tanya
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

I always loved the big wedges of iceberg. Reminds me of my mom making salads when I was a kid and she only used iceberg.

Your little girl is freakin’ adorable! I’ve concluded she needs to go potty, but she’s having way too much fun to bother with it. The top photo is beautiful.

5. Sabrina
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM | Permalink

I like the new title picture. The bandana look is very summery.

6. nicisme
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM | Permalink

Ha ha! This made me laugh. Your daughter is adorable and the salad looks great too!

7. Nicole
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM | Permalink

Hey! I have been debating whether to post my “classic wedge” or another crazy concoction I did… Great minds… But mine has blue cheese.

Oh the list…. Mine wasn’t too too big nor much but a thought in my head… but as I sit here working, they are watching TV! Never thought I would allow more than a tiny bit in the morning. But here I am… bad mommy!

8. Nicole
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM | Permalink

PS. I like your new header! But I will kind of miss the old one….

Posted July 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM | Permalink

eat! Hey my kids look at the other kids that are screaming and say “what’s wrong with them, can’t their mom quiet them?” HA!

grace- yeah I think we all do the stealth thing, just wish the kids did too!

thatgirl- Himself was just glad that it was Ranch dressing and not blue cheese!

Tanya- My mom used iceberg only too! Funny!
    Thanks for saying my girl is cute, she is such a sweetie, She later told me that she was just trying to keep her shorts dry! Hmm.

Sabrina- The jury is still out on the new header??!!

nicisme- Thanks Nic!

Nicole- Yeah I think the real hearts has blue cheese but hubby is not a fan. TV is ok at times.(like when mom is blogging!) I’m still debating about the header.

10. Veronica
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

What lovely pictures on this post! Wedgiebar…I like that 🙂

Posted July 23, 2008 at 7:03 AM | Permalink

Veronica- Hey thanks! Wedgie Bar, yup I’m just so immature sometimes. Keeps me young!

12. Stephanie Spalding
    Posted July 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM | Permalink

Sounds yummy Robin! I think I will try this for lunch this week. Your daughter is precious and I bet she would love to come over and visit 🙂