Leftover Ice Cream Cake

As if there would be leftovers! Pah. We are an Ice Cream Cake family. When I was little, my Mom would make one big birthday cake for my brother and I as our birthdays are only three days apart. We always requested an Ice Cream Cake. So now that we have our own children she makes them one as well. In December we have five birthdays to celebrate, meaning five names piped in icing across the cake. Two of my own children are Christmas babies, 24th and 27th. I know.

So now we have this honkin’ huge Ice Cream Cake box with only half a cake left taking up the freezer. What to do? What to do? Here are three possibilities, which by the way are perfect for Summertime:

1. Cut entire cake up into individual pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in zip-top freezer bags, in the freezer of course. Take out what you need at least 10 minutes before serving and viola! Another party.

2. This one is hysterical. It comes from my friend Joyce, she is a very clever girl. Her son had just had his birthday party and she was sick of this cake, and its monstrous box, taking up her freezer so she dumped the rest in the blender added a little milk and wingo, popsicles. Brilliant! I just put my leftovers in a bowl, added a little milk to thin out and mashed with a fork. Spooned into cups, implanted stick, froze and enjoyed. My kids loved these pops. They said that each bite had a different flavor, some with frosting, some with cake, and ice cream throughout. Remember Dreyer’s Take the Cake, same concept and way cheaper than visiting a Cold Stone Creamery. That Joyce she’s a genius.

3. Sometimes the kids have a hard time eating Ice Cream Cake. It is hard to poke with a fork, it flies off the plate if they cut it with the fork, or they eat it too slowly and it gets soupy. So with leftovers, I cut into 1 inch by 2 inch pieces, skewer with a wooden skewer, refreeze until hard, wrap individually, and store in zip-top freezer bags. The kids say that this is a great way to eat this cake, plus they can eat all the icing off more easily. Kids.

Note- This is a homemade Ice Cream Cake by yours truly. These are easy to make. Bake cake, cool completely, cut in half, slice each half open, spread three of the slices with softened ice cream, stack on top of each other ending with the plain slice of cake, freeze until firm, frost, decorate, freeze again. This is the frosting I used. I baked an 8×8 inch cake and it ended up becoming a beautiful 5×9 inch loaf that was about 6 inches tall. No big rules with this one, just have a good ole time. But work quickly.

1. Leah
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue! I just found your blog and I love it! This looks amazing, I’m so impressed that you made an ice cream cake! I love the pink frosting too. What a lucky bunch of kids you have!

2. Lucy
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

So cute, adorable & fun!

3. Rindy R
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I love the cake on a stick. What a great idea to do ahead of time for a party and store in the freezer! No kid would have to wait for their slice of the fun! Thanks for sharing!

4. Karen
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

That is the most clever thing I’ve seen all morning! And it looks crazy good.

5. That Girl
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

The popsicles are my favorite idea ever

6. takethecannoli
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM | Permalink

Aww, this brings back such great memories from when I was a kid. My mom always bought me and my brother ice cream cakes for our birthdays. I love the idea of cutting up the pieces so it’s easier to eat.

7. noble pig
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Oh wowzer!

8. Helene
    Posted July 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

I really have to make this someday. The boys would love it.

Posted July 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM | Permalink

Leah- Thanks for visiting. Come back soon. Ice cream cakes aren’t that bad to make. Just more steps than difficulty.

Lucy- Thanks!

Rindy- I agree, do as much as possible before hand with kids. They do get fiesty.

Karen-Wow clever huh. That’s the best compliment!

Thatgirl- Thanks, glad you like it.

takethecannoli- Your mom did that too! Awesome.

noble pig- ditto!

Helene- Give it a go and let me know!

10. Grace
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 5:19 AM | Permalink

how innovative! first of all, nice job on the cake itself. more importantly, look at all the things you can do with it! i’m super impressed and a little bit in love with joyce. 🙂

11. Lisa
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 7:29 AM | Permalink

Wow! Looks awesome. Leftovers? There would be none in my house. Great leftover ideas1

12. Anonymous
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    I hope I am doing this correctly as this is my first attempt at responding to your blog. I always look forward to reading your blog-it is my daily inspiration!
    I know that you are a genious!
    Joyce

Posted July 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM | Permalink

Grace- everyone who meets Joyce loves her! Thank you for your nice comments!

Lisa- Yeah not much leftover sometimes, but when there is….

Joyce!!! The Genius!! Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

14. Hillary
    Posted July 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

My favorite is the popsicle method! Way to go Joyce!

15. cookinpanda
    Posted July 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM | Permalink

These are so fun! I love the popsicle idea. It adds a whole new dimension to eating popsicles.

Posted July 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM | Permalink

Hillary- Thanks! Yup Joyce is great!

cookingpanda- That pops are so yummy, try ’em!

17. Stephanie
    Posted July 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM | Permalink

What a GREAT idea, i LOVE the popsicles! How cute!

Posted July 21, 2008 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

Stephanie- Thank you, my friend Joyce always has fun ideas.

19. mattman_1234567
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

Just found your blog and can't stop reading! There are so many recipes I can't wait to try….we'll all be getting fatter around here. LOL!

A tip for the ice cream cake…after freezing, soften some ice cream and "ice" the cake with it, freeze again and decorate top with cake icing. YUM!

Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM | Permalink

mattman- Great tip on the frosting with some ice cream. I'll remember that one. Glad you like the site!

21. Posted December 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

I want it easy to change template colors; a gallery area; calendar and of course the blogging area should be easy to manage/update. Names and links would be greatly appreciated..