Spinach Artichoke Dip

This is one of my go to recipes when I want to serve an hors d’oeuvres that is hot and savory. I received this recipe from my sister-in-law, Tonya, my brother’s wife. She does a fantastic job when planning menus for her gatherings. I based some of my rules on her example. I think you may be surprised that there is a packet of ranch dressing in this dip. Well let me be the first one to tell you that that one ingredient alone takes this dip over the top. This goes together quickly and is usually gone immediately. Bring it to your next cookout and come home empty-handed but full bellied.

When hosting a cocktail party that is centered around heavy hors d’oeuvres, I have created the following guidelines for myself:

10 Commandments of Hors d’oeuvres

1. Serve an odd number of hors d’oeuvres: 3,5, or 7.
2. 1-10 guests/3 types hors d’oeuvres, 11-20/5, 21-30/7, being sure to double and triple recipes if necessary.
3. Choose one of each: savory, sweet, spicy
4. Choose from a variety of hors d’oeuvres: canapes, wraps, rolls, spreads, dips, cheese flight, sushi, bruschetta, pastry, crudités, and crackers.
5. Choose one of each: hot, cold, room temp
6. Include fresh fruit and vegetables.
7. Have some vegetarian choices.
8. It must be something that can be eaten with one’s hands and is not messy.
9. Be sure you have a way to keep hot things hot and cold things cold.
10. Be sure that many of the items can be made ahead of time.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip
1– 10 ounce package chopped spinach, drained well (squeeze as much liquid out as possible)
8 ounces sour cream
1 jar artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and chopped
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 package (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

In a microwave safe bowl mix all ingredients until well blended. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir well and microwave one more minute or until mixture is hot and cheeses are melted. Serve with long, soft French loaf, sliced. Serves 6.

Note- In addition to the hors d’oeuvres, I like to put a out a nice box of Godiva Chocolates or any other specialty box of chocolates. I open the box to display in the middle of the table on a lovely pedestal dish. A delicious centerpiece.

1. Kate
    Posted July 25, 2008 at 6:46 AM | Permalink

That is an an interesting ingredient. I’ve had this dip added to a crepe before, and it was delicous. Great photo.

2. EAT!
    Posted July 25, 2008 at 7:47 AM | Permalink

What time is the party at your house? I think I can get there by 7 pm.

3. Jeanine
    Posted July 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

Great guidelines, lots of good points there! (and that dip looks YUMMY!!)

4. redforever
    Posted July 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

Interesting guidelines. The only thing I would add is to also have one non dairy along with one vegetarian dish, although they could be one in the same.

I just speak from experience as we have one friend who does not do dairy.

Posted July 26, 2008 at 7:12 AM | Permalink

Kate- Ooh in a crepe no less, now that would be really nice.

Eat!- Just bring the Cheese Steaks and some Jersey corn.

Jeanine- Yeah I like rules, it keeps me focused.

Redforever- Good tip! For me I have to be careful of MSG or I am sunk big time.

6. redforever
    Posted July 26, 2008 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

You are so right about MSG, I forgot that I religiously read all food labels and avoid that ingredient. My husband can not have this at all!!!!

Posted July 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM | Permalink

redforever- we are a not nut family too. So the list grows!! Maybe I’ll just serve water, hot, cold and room temp!

8. Jared
    Posted July 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a great recipe. I’m a huge fan of spinach-artichoke dip, but didn’t think it would be these straightforward to make. Thanks for the recipe

Posted July 28, 2008 at 7:18 AM | Permalink

Jared- It is a very easy dip to throw together. Thanks for stopping by!

10. The Shmoopies
    Posted August 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the entertaining tips! Please keep ’em coming. I don’t know why but having guests tends to give me major anxiety. 🙁 This dip looks super-easy and anxiety-free, though. And delicious!! Thanks!

Posted August 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM | Permalink

The Schmoopies- It can be overwhelming for me to have guests. Everytime I do I make notes in my head about what I could do make make things go better! Thanks for stopping by!!

12. Katelyn
    Posted November 8, 2008 at 2:09 AM | Permalink

I tried this tonight and it was a hit! My friends all keep raving about it, and it was one of the most simple dishes of the night, I loved the microwave action! It kept my stove and oven free for the big stuff! Thank you!

13. bigredkitchen
    Posted November 8, 2008 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

Katelyn- So happy this was a hit for you and that everyone loved it. I do really love the flavors in this dip. Thanks for commenting!

14. Ang
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Are those artichoke hearts the marinated hearts?

Posted December 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM | Permalink

Ang- either will do. Enjoy!

16. Jenny Hayes
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

This looks and sounds AMAZING!!! I hope you don't mind, I pinned it on Pinterest! I can't believe it was not already there!! OMGosh! My boys will go ga-ga over this! Thank you!! 🙂

Posted January 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Jenny- Pin away! Thanks- we love this and it is my go to dip for parties.