Danish Puff Pastry

Here I am again in “Bigredkitchen”. I am celebrating my invitation the way our family often celebrates birthdays, Christmas and Easter – With a Danish Puff! My wish list for my birthday changed every year but I never changed my breakfast request. Danish Puff Please! Usually it was not decorated with nuts but was covered in the sprinkle color of my choice. My most frequent selection was the pastel variegated circles. Don’t wait for a birthday to make this yummy treat. Everyday can be a celebration!

Danish Puff Pastry
For the crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
2 Tablespoons water
crumble real fine and pat into pizza pan as shown.

Topping:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 teaspoon almond flavoring (vanilla can be substituted)
1 cup flour
3 eggs
Mix butter and water in sauce pan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and add flavoring. Beat in flour, and keep beating hard. Add eggs one at a time until mixture looks like the picture to the right.

Pour mixture over top of crust and take almost to edge.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Frost with recipe below, top with nuts or sprinkles, and CELEBRATE!
Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 Tablespoon butter
3 Tablespoons milk.

Note– Another great post from my good friend Rindy. Thanks Rindy! Now I am off to make this delicious looking puff as soon as I get back from Whidbey!

1. Anonymous
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

Rindy: This recipe looks phenomenal. I can’t wait to try it because I love Danish. What I like about this one is that it is easy and I like easy. Thanks for sharing. Ma

2. Rindy R
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 5:57 PM | Permalink

Ma – It is so easy – and sooooo good! Try it today and celebrate!!!
    We love you Ro and all your stories! Keep blogging!!

3. Kate
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

This sounds so simple and tasty. I’ll try it very soon.

4. Nicole
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM | Permalink

Looks delicious!!!

5. j*amy
    Posted August 20, 2008 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

that looks awesome!

6. Anonymous
    Posted June 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

I have a danish puff pastry recipe that my dad begged off my great-grandmother many years ago. It's lovely, but the glaze part says, "make a glaze from powdered sugar, water, and almond extract".

I've never seen this desert outside of my mom's kitchen, but it's just like yours.

Posted June 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

Anon- some of these old recipes are the best. This one is made by my friend Rindy's mom for her birthday when she was growing up. I think it is an old family recipe too!