Pancake Squares

IMG_4276.jpg

We are pancake people. For breakfast or dinner we love our pancakes, especially my middle Little. A few years ago I came across this Pancake Squares recipe and figured we would like it too, and we did. The pancakes bake up light and fluffy, very filling, and very versatile. I have doubled these, baked them in a 9×13 and sprinkled one third with blueberries, one third with bananas, and the last third with chocolate chips. Today I wanted them plain to show off some real maple syrup my neighbor brought me from Canada. I only wanted to taste that sweet and delicious liquid gold! I know this is a plain recipe, simple even. But that is ok, sometimes plain is good. Try this new way of serving pancakes, it beats standing over a hot stove pouring, flipping, burning flapjacks on a hot summer day.

Pancake Squares
3/4 cup milk
2 T. melted butter
1 large egg
1 T. sugar
1 cup flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350ยฐ. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and egg. Add sugar, then gradually beat the flour in. Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4-6.

I have a new contraption to keep my pancakes warm as well. See I told you we were serious here. My girly friend got this for me from Crate and Barrel. I preheat it with boiling water, drain and add my hot pancakes. Keeps the little guys warm for a long time. We love it!

UPDATE- If you liked these Pancake Squares, you may also like my Baked Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Or how about Mason Jar Meal Pigs inย a Blanket?

Try my NEW Triple Lemon Ricotta Pancakes: Gluten-free and Baked!

DSC02863

For more of my recipes, look over on my left sidebar and click away to see over 600 recipes!

1. Stephanie
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM | Permalink

Pancake squares? PANCAKE SQUARES?!! This is the greatest thing ever!!

• Angela
      Posted October 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM | Permalink

Everyone should search for “puff pancake” recipe or sometimes they call them German pancakes if you like this recipe idea. The puff pancakes are also baked, I double the recipe in a 13×9 as well and the sides puff up really high but it folds in versus spilling out of the pan….after you take them out the puff settles down and they are delicious even without any butter, syrup etc.

• Bev Goebel
      Posted November 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

This reminds me of a German dish my son always called “the big pancake” which my mother made in a double boiler. She would also make a warm lemon sauce to pour over it. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory! Will have to try this recipe.

2. Leah
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Oooo, we’re pancake people too! These look great, as usual….stop by my blog soon; I have a little award for you to pick up!!

3. Anonymous
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

My son would eat banana pancakes for every meal if I let him. This is a great idea.

4. PaniniKathy
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

What a great concept! And that way you can make the whole batch at once instead of having to hang out at the griddle forever. I love it! Will flag this one to try soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Lisa
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

I like this idea! It is better than standing over a hot stove and just waiting for th pancakes to brown.

6. Recruiting Services
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

Wow, those pictures are appetizing!

7. That Girl
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Personally my favorite way to eat a pancake is cold, like a cookie. So these are just the right size for snacking!!!

8. Kristen
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

What a cool idea for pancakes! I can’t wait to try this recipe out. Mmmmm!

9. Tanya
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM | Permalink

Thank you for this recipe. This is perfect for someone like me who doesn’t necessarily like preparing a big breakfast. I can’t wait to try this out!

10. Kate
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM | Permalink

Are you kidding me?! Pancake Squares? I AM SO ON THIS. I’m making it the first weekend I have the chance. Thank you!

11. Kate
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 6:53 PM | Permalink

P.S. I used to use waffle mix and fill up mini muffin tins, with one berry each, for “waffle muffins.” I never thought pancakes would raise enough to make anything other than a fried pancake.

Is it sad that I’m overly excited about these pancake squares? — I feel like leaving work early to make them. I need to calm down.

Posted August 6, 2008 at 10:03 PM | Permalink

Stephanie- who knew they would be so exciting!

Leah- thanks for the award!! How nice of you to pass it to me. I will post as soon as I get back!

Anon- yup we love the banana version too!

Panini Kathy- panini it, come on you can come up with somethng amazing!!!

Lisa- this is so much easier.

Recruiting Sevices- thanks so much for dropping in!

That girl- yup a perfect snackie pooh!

Kristen- give it a go and let me know!

Tanya- these are easy for breakfast, no standing around.

Kate- This is an exciting recipe. It must be as it got Stumbled Upon big time. I had no idea it would be so exciting. But we do love pancakes don’t we? Take a deep breath you’ll be ok, as soon as you make these that is….

• Valerie
      Posted September 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM | Permalink

Is there anyway to make these egg free for a little dude with allergies?

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM | Permalink

I have yet to try them without eggs. You could try mashed bananas or some applesauce and see if that works out. But only make a small batch just in case.

• Stephanie Kinnunen
      Posted October 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

I use flax seed as an egg replacer for baking. Mix 1 part ground flax seed to 3 parts water and microwave it for a minute or two. It should have the consistency of egg white. Use about 2 oz (1/4 c). for 1 egg.

13. Grace
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM | Permalink

have i been living under a rock? how have i not heard of this? pancakes. in bar form. easier, yet just as tasty. bless you, robin sue! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted August 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM | Permalink

Grace- No rock… yup these are keepers!

15. Nicole
    Posted August 10, 2008 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

What a cool idea for a big group! I will definitely have to try it sometime when my whole family is at my parents house or something.

16. teresa
    Posted August 27, 2008 at 7:58 AM | Permalink

What a great idea!Perfect for before school. Thanks!

Posted August 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

Nicole- These are perfect for a big group!

Teresa- Great to pack in their lunches too. Thanks for stopping by!

18. Meg
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness! Pancake squares! I must make these!!!

19. Stacie
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Ok, I’ve had this page bookmarked for a few weeks and I finally whipped these up today.

I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner!!! SO SO good and so easy!

I’m going to make these for my husband before work. (He loves banana pancakes, so I’m going to pour in half the batter, layer thinly sliced banana and then the rest of the batter… I hope it’s as good as our first attempt.

I meant to vote for your olympics and I was going to choose the pancake squares because I found your site through them and now check in often.

Thank you!

20. Cindy
    Posted February 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

I found your website recently and LOVE it!! I have made your pancake squares 3 times in the past 2 weeks for my 4 kids. Its awesome that we can finally eat our pancakes at the same time instead of having each kid wait…thank you!

21. BBro
    Posted March 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

I just made these the other day, complete with blueberries thrown in. They were so simple and good! I am wondering how they would do if you froze them. That way, I can make a huge batch and freeze most of them for a quick breakfast.

Thanks!

Posted March 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM | Permalink

BBro- I bet they would freeze just fine wrapped individually so that you can grab and go!

23. karen
    Posted December 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Made these this morning while waiting to dig out from a huge snow storm on the East Coast. Thanks for posting the recipe, they were delicious!!!

24. culinography
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

I'm always late to the party, but OMG these are AH-MAZING! I paid homage this morning on my blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Katie
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

When I took these out of the oven I thought, "well these look weird. what was I thinking?" Then they were delicious, and even my husband agreed, though he never eats breakfast and isn't a pancake fan generally.