Pancake Squares

We are pancake people. For breakfast or dinner we love our pancakes, especially my middle Little. A few years ago I came across this Pancake Squares recipe and figured we would like it too, and we did. The pancakes bake up light and fluffy, very filling, and very versatile. I have doubled these, baked them in a 9×13 and sprinkled one third with blueberries, one third with bananas, and the last third with chocolate chips. Today I wanted them plain to show off some real maple syrup my neighbor brought me from Canada. I only wanted to taste that sweet and delicious liquid gold! I know this is a plain recipe, simple even. But that is ok, sometimes plain is good. Try this new way of serving pancakes, it beats standing over a hot stove pouring, flipping, burning flapjacks on a hot summer day.

Pancake Squares
3/4 cup milk
2 T. melted butter
1 large egg
1 T. sugar
1 cup flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, butter and egg. Add sugar, then gradually beat the flour in. Carefully stir in the baking powder and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 4-6.

I have a new contraption to keep my pancakes warm as well. See I told you we were serious here. My girly friend got this for me from Crate and Barrel. I preheat it with boiling water, drain and add my hot pancakes. Keeps the little guys warm for a long time. We love it!

UPDATE- If you liked these Pancake Squares, you may also like my Baked Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Or how about Mason Jar Meal Pigs in a Blanket?

Try my NEW Triple Lemon Ricotta Pancakes: Gluten-free and Baked!

DSC02863

For more of my recipes, look over on my left sidebar and click away to see over 600 recipes!

1. kim
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

Just made this for my husband for valentines breakfast and it is quick easy and very tasty I will be using this a lot in the days to come. Thank you.

2. Kendra
    Posted February 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

Tried these this morning. Soooo good and easy. We were fighting over the last one. Will definitely make these again! Thx for posting.

3. Pam
    Posted February 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM | Permalink

I have to say I don’t know what the buzz is about this. Not very favorful at all. Tested more like a cross between biscuits and cornbread. I would take a stack of pancakes any day over this. Sorry, not a fan.

4. Posted February 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

What a great post, I tried this and they were so good, I’ll be linking to you from my blog soon!

5. Dani
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM | Permalink

I made these tonight with a gluten-free flour substitute and almond milk. They baked up light and fluffy but definitely would have tasted better with real flour.

6. Posted March 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

These look incredible!!! Will HAVE to try – probably tomorrow!! thanks for sharing!

7. Stephanie
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM | Permalink

So I made these this morning because they look & sound delicious! But mine (as stupid as it sounds) had a “cornbread-like” texture & were very salty. ): Any idea what I did wrong?

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM | Permalink

Is your baking soda fresh? Did you over mix it? Other than that I don’t know??

8. Tracy
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

Has anyone ever doubled this? Adjustment in time or quantities? 4-6 servings won’t feed my “HungryJack” kids!! Thanks for any suggestions.

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM | Permalink

I have doubled it into a 9×13, I think it is written in the post somewhere

9. Chelsea Moore
    Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

Oh my gosh!! I love pancakes but hate standing over a hot griddle. These are fantastic! I’m baking some right now!

10. Gen
    Posted March 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

Just made these and I’m not sure how they can be called a pancake. I followed the recipe exactly excepting for adding a tsp of vanilla and all I can taste is the egg! Maybe more sugar and buttermilk instead of regular milk would make it taste more like a pancake. Dissappointed because I love pancakes. :/

11. Jen
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM | Permalink

These were amazing! I love the idea of everyone’s pancake being ready at the same time. Also, no stress about burning or messing up “the flip”. We will make these often. Thanks for this great idea!

12. Addie
    Posted March 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM | Permalink

Does this also work with boxed pancake mix?

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

It may be worth the try!

13. Posted April 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM | Permalink

I LOVE this idea!! I made them twice this week so far and can’t wait to make them for school mornings. I’ve shared about them on my blog too:

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing!!

14. Darcey
    Posted April 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM | Permalink

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and my kiddos LOVE them! The first time I made them I doubled the recipe and sprinkled chocolate chips on half…huge hit. This morning I didn’t have “add ins”, but I found some rainbow sprinkles and added those for some funfetti pancakes! Thanks for a great recipe and thanks for saving me time in front of the stove flipping pancakes!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM | Permalink

Thanks!

15. Andrea
    Posted April 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

LOve these and so did the kids!! We are going to try your regular pancakes today. Hope they are just as good.

16. Healthmomma
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM | Permalink

We do weight watchers. Do you know the nutritional info for these?

• Robin Sue
      Posted May 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM | Permalink

No I haven’t figured this one out. Maybe an online site to plug in the ingredients?

9 Trackbacks

1. By Meal Planning Sundays: February 18-24 | on February 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

[…] Monday- Breakfast for dinner (nitrate-free bacon, fried eggs, and pancake squares) […]

2. By Pancake Squares | Simply Hours on February 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

[…] have Big Red Kitchen to thank for this […]

3. By Baked Pancakes | Everyday's a 'Hollyday' on March 4, 2013 at 5:05 AM

[…] copied the recipe below from THIS website & I followed the instructions exactly, I just sprinkled mini chocolate chips on half of the […]

4. By Weekend Updates | Pamcakes & Coffee on March 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

[…] for this warmer, sunny weather! Sunday started with a new recipe that I have been wanting to try, Baked Pancakes, of course with some chocolate chips. I also made a new recipe for dinner tonight, Crockpot […]

5. By Paleo Recipes With Almond Flour on March 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  6. […] when I stumbled on this recipe for Pancake Squares, I knew I had to try […]

7. […] when I am constantly burning them!! I was super excited when I found this recipe from Big Red’s Kitchen and had to try it out!  We plan to throw chocolate chips in the next […]

8. By Pancake Squares - TodaysMama on April 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM

[…] here to view a recipe for Pancake Squares from Big Red Kitchen.  I feel like these are some pancakes […]

9. […] picture attached. It took me to a great website called Big Red Kitchen and a post called, “Pancake Squares.” Seemed simple enough: mix batter, put in baking dish, bake. These are things I can DO! So, […]