Peanut Butter Sticks

WELCOME STUMBLERS! For more of Rindy’s great recipes, visit her at Kitchen Klique.

My name is Rindy Robberstad and my dear friend Robin Sue has allowed me to be a guest in her Big Red Kitchen. Thank you! When she first asked me to guest blog I was at my parent’s cabin in the Catskills. I have spent part of every summer on White Lake and have made many of my fondest memories in that wonderful place. Two things come to mind immediately when I think about our cabin – Jiffy Pop (the kind that looks like a tin foil space ship when done popping) and Peanut Butter Sticks! No summer up there would be complete without having had these two wonderful treats. As a child we would only spend about two weeks in the cabin so the grocery shopping consisted of the basics (ingredients for S’mores, Jiffy Pop, Bread, peanut butter, milk…) About day four, my brother and I would be sick of all the S’mores and asking my mom for another sweet treat – Peanut Butter Sticks! The recipe would emerge – (you know, the one that is so old your mother doesn’t remember where it came from, who it came from, or when it appeared in her recipe box) and the memories would begin.

Here are the cast of players for this memory…

Peanut Butter Sticks
6 Slices of white bread
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup Wesson Oil
2/3 cup Graham cracker crumbs

Cut crust off bread and then cut bread into 5 sticks each.

Place on cookie sheet and bake at 250° for 30 minutes. This picture makes them look like little soldiers all lined up for battle – the battle of the bulge!!!!
(I double the recipe – so this is a double batch)

Mix peanut butter and oil over low heat. Dip each stick into peanut butter mixture.

Roll wet stick in graham cracker crumbs. Let cool and store in air tight container.

My kids love these dipped in jelly or honey. Kind of a twist on a PB and J. Most of all – I love knowing my kids are making memories of their own on White Lake!

Epilogue– It is with great pleasure to share my blog with my great friend, Rindy. We met about six years ago and started our Supper Club about four years ago. Time is flying. Rindy is probably the most creative and generous person I know. When I need a good idea, I call her. She is an amazing person with great faith in God and incredible strength. She was so happy to write a blog for me that she suddenly got inspired to start her own food blog. You can catch big slices of her life here at Kitchen Klique.

Have you subscribed to Big Red Kitchen? Great recipes in here!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

1. Sabrina
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

Those look so tastey I am going to try them today when my kids have friends over.

2. Anonymous
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

I can’t wait to try these with my grandcildren and I think they would be a great hit at church fellowship gatherings. Ma

3. Kristen
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM | Permalink

My kids would go nuts for these! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

4. Rindy R
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

I hope your kids love them as much as mine do! Thanks for the comments! Rindy

5. Anonymous
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

I wonder what would happen if you rolled them in oreo cookie crumbs or something else . . . mmmmm. 🙂

6. Grace
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 6:59 AM | Permalink

what an amazing and delicious idea! i’m glad kids go nuts for them, and i’m here to tell you that adults (or pseudo-adults, as the case may be) would love ’em too!

7. Rindy R
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Anonymous – that Oreo idea sounds wonderful – any way to get chocolate into a recipe – I’m all about. It might work better with Famous Chocolate wafer cookies. I don’t know how the cream centers would do (Unless you were willing to lick the centers all out – which I would volunteer to do) GREAT idea!

Grace – Adult DO love them – In fact usually my kids ask for more – and they’re all gone! Get them while you can- moms in the house!

8. EAT!
    Posted August 11, 2008 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

It’s a rainy day here and it looks like we will be making the Peanut Butter Sticks today. Thanks for the recipe!!

9. Laura
    Posted August 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM | Permalink

What a fascinating idea. I don’t mind telling you when I looked at the ingredients I was really wondering how it would come together. I can see how these are fabulous.

Does using whole grain bread work as well?

P.S. Robin: I am loving your guest blogger idea!

10. Rindy R
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM | Permalink

Eat! – Hope your sticks turned out as yummy as ours!!

Laura – The coating is so yummy – I don’t think you could even tell what type of bread is under all that goodness! I’ll have to try it!
    Thanks for stopping by!

11. BeHereNow
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

Are you all serious?

12. Shirlene
    Posted June 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM | Permalink

I am going to make these for the Volunteers at our VBS! Thanks for sharing. I think some chocolate and some marshmallow creme drizzled over these would be a good mix as well. I will let you know.

13. Posted October 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM | Permalink

I wonder how they would be with Nutella instead of peanut butter?