Shark Attack Movie Night

While staying at our family’s house in Washington, my sister sister-in-law Donna decided to have a shark attack movie night. She rented Jaws II and made Captain Jack’s Shark Attack Popcorn. We turned out the lights to watch this “scary” movie. I think the music was the scariest thing about it. The kids mostly laughed at the outdated special effects and had a great time trying to predict who would get eaten next. We were scarfing the popcorn down faster than Jaws could eat that poor water skier and her mother. This popcorn is delicious. My nephew Jack said, “Auntie Robin can you put this recipe on Big Red Kitchen?” You betcha man! Can’t turn down a request like that.

So low and behold when we got home one of our TV stations was running the Jaws Marathon. We planned our own Shark Attack night to watch Jaws III, the one with Dennis Quaid. Meh, pretty lame but when you have two little boys in the house all that stuff just ROCKS! I made the Captain Jack’s Shark Attack Popcorn and Shark Attack Italian Sodas. The kids had a blast pouring the “blood” in their seltzer.

Captain Jack’s Shark Attack Popcorn
4 ounces cinnamon red hots
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light Karo syrup

1 cup popcorn kernels, popped

In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the first four ingredients, stirring constantly until melted and bubbly, about 8 minutes. Place popcorn in a huge bowl and pour red sauce over popcorn stirring frequently to cover all the kernels. Place on a large jelly roll pan, it will be piled high and bake in a 250 degree oven for 15 minutes. The original directions say one hour but it didn’t really need it and I was hungry for crying-out-loud! Let cool and break apart into bite-sized pieces. Serves a crowd.

Shark Attack Italian Soda
seltzer water
Torani strawberry syrup
ice

Fill a tall glass halfway with crushed ice. Fill the glass with seltzer water leaving about and inch head space for the “blood”, ahem, syrup. Pour in about one ounce of syrup and watch the “blood” spread through the water. The kids go nuts for this stuff.

This “pour” shark ate too much of this popcorn and went belly up. Poor buggah. I remember watching the first Jaws as a kid and it scared the pee out of me, I about had a stroke when that head fell out of the boat. The music was something else as well, what suspense. Living at the beach in Jersey, I was petrified of being eaten by a shark but our sharks were tiny but could still do some damage. The only thing that attacked me while I was swimming was a crab who was doing the backstroke while I was doing freestyle. I had no idea the things ever surfaced to swim but this one did and boy oh boy I think he released all his claws and legs I screamed so loud (they’ll grow back.) The boy next door was always trying to attack me too. Remember him, Ma?

PS– My kids got those sharks in their Shark Attack drinks at Glory Days Grill, they use Sprite though. I think the Italian Soda is more sophisticated which is very important during an attack.

2008 Shark Team USA Wins Gold in Synchronized Swimming
I assure you they are all 16 years old. Wink.

Come back on Monday for Chocolate Abundance Part II: The Chocolate Flower Farm. You won’t want to miss it. Super simple and delicious recipe included!

1. Rindy R
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

What kid wouldn’t want to eat that “bloody” bowl of popcorn?! What a great Halloween treat as well!!! I see a surf board with a bite out of it as the buffet table….the ideas are endless!! Thanks!

2. j*amy
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

hah that is so cute. i love all the pictures with the sharks πŸ™‚

3. dobetter
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

Hilarious! Love this idea.

4. noble pig
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

OMG I am so going to do this at my house, the kids will absolutely love this, Thank you!

5. Tanya
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

What a cute idea for kids!

6. Alyse
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

omg that is absolutely adorable. Too bad Jaws 3 is a lame movie. I’m all about the original!

7. Lisa
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM | Permalink

An awesome idea! It would be a good boys party theme too.

8. MrOrph
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM | Permalink

Yeah, I remember the first Jaws. I was living in L.A. at the time and I was actually afraid of our pool! Then I read the Exorcist cover to cover in 2 days! I was a walking scaredy cat!

I have a shark that my mom gave me for a boobie gift if you want it. You hang it on the wall and it uses motion detection. When it detects motion, it sings “Mack the Knife”. I’d be glad to send it to you. πŸ™‚

9. Sabrina
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM | Permalink

we made the shark attacks tonight after football practice and they were a huge hit. I blended Sprite and ice in the magic bullet. Then we added Torani raspberry syrup. So yummy, I had some too. Thanks for the post.

10. Anonymous
    Posted August 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM | Permalink

This is so cute. I hope I can find the sharks when I go to pull this off!

Posted August 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

Rindy- You are right, there are many ides!

J*amy- Thanks!

Do Better and Noble Pig- give it a go and let me know!

Tanya-for adults too!

Alyse- The original was the best! Jaws IV is even worse than 3.

Lisa- oh yeah the boys love this one!

Mr. Orph- “Afraid of our pool.” You made me laugh so hard!! Since I am so freaked out about clowns, remember Poltergiest and that clown was under the bed. AAAAHHHHH!! So the signing shark would scare the crud out of me! But thanks anyway. BTW my brother does a great rendition of Mack the Knife !

Sabrina- OOOH the Magic Bullet. Coveting, coveting. Do you love it?

Anon.- try this
    But do call and make sure they are hollow!

12. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted August 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM | Permalink

This is just too funny! You made me laugh with this one! I love the picture where the shark is pooring strawberry sirup (sorry, I meant blood)! And cool popcorn!

13. Beth
    Posted August 25, 2008 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

Those sharks were just too cute. The popcorn sounds wonderful also. I’m a popcorn fiend, I’ll have to give this a try.

Posted August 26, 2008 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

Clumbsy cookie- I am happy that I made you laugh! Laughter is so good for you! Try this popcorn soon you will love it.

Beth- Give this one a try, you may really like it.

15. Melissa
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM | Permalink

I was looking for some Friday Movie night Ideas, but were not doing a shark movie. Maybe I’ll do it just for fun. πŸ™‚

16. Really Rainey
    Posted July 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM | Permalink

What a great post! I loved the shark drinks and we are going boat camping on the lake next week and I gotta make those shark drinks!! I just hope I can find some sharks for them! Thanks!

Rainey @ The Project Table

17. A Year on the Grill
    Posted July 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM | Permalink

You have a photo of a puking shark!!!

You are indeed a blogging goddess.

18. Gabrielle
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM | Permalink

I love this! Where can I get the sharks from?! πŸ™‚