Sipping Chocolate

Iam heading to Seattle for a grand vacation on Whidbey Island with our family. There will be 20 of us all together, 10 kids 10 adults. Good ratio. One highlight of this trip is that all the ladies get together and go to Langley, a quaint seaside town, to shop, do lunch, and explore. Last time we were there we discovered a little shop called Island Angel Chocolates. This was a great find for us as we sampled many chocolate treats. Then Mona, the owner, asked us if we wanted to sample the Sipping Chocolate. “What is that?” we all asked. Here is what she said, “It is melted chocolate mixed with cream and you drink it, but it is not hot or cold, just sort of warm, and you can add whatever flavoring you would like to it,” as she pointed to the flavoring bar that was covered with spices, jams, and extracts. She had dark, white and milk chocolate to choose from. We sampled each, trying different spices. I tried white chocolate with curry stirred in, then a dark chocolate with raspberry, then milk chocolate with chili powder. She even shared how to make Sipping Chocolate. I think we bought one and shared it as it came in two sizes, 4 ounces or 8 ounces, both too big for me. But wow what a drink. A very good way to get one’s chocolate fix and fast. I loved the idea of adding different spices or flavors, chocolate is wonderful with chili powder or even curry. A very nice surprise.

Once in a while here at home I pull out my pounds of chocolate and concoct our own Sipping Chocolate Bar. I place spices in little tiny ramekins, chop up some chocolate, melt, and then start sipping. Delicious.

We have a nice little collection of demitasse cups, all from different countries, like Poland, Turkey, and Germany. The little orange cups were given to me by my mom. She used to win these at a carnival when she was a little girl. Beats those stupid stuffed pandas.

I have this Chocolate Station in my kitchen. It holds all my chocolate, candy making supplies, chocolate cookbooks, molds, cookie cutters, and various other gadgetry. I picked this cabinet up in Germany at a thrift shop. Recently a friend from Germany visited and stated that those old cabinets were used in kitchens to hold baking supplies, it is from the 1940’s or so. The top pulls up to reveal some tools and the bottom opens to show off my chocolate collection. I purchase my chocolate from a restaurant supply store. I buy the Callebaut 11 pound blocks in the white, milk, and dark. This brand of chocolate tempers well and has a great taste.

Sipping Chocolate
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
2 ounces half and half

In a small sauce pan over low heat melt chocolate. Stirring constantly and protecting from burning. Go very slow. Once the chocolate is smooth add cream one ounce at a time, stirring well with each addition. Serve in a tiny cup and sip away. You may use the same ratio of chocolate to cream with dark chocolate but with white chocolate use skim milk. Great add ins are chili powder, curry, cinnamon, chipotle powder, seedless raspberry jelly, extracts, or anything else you can think of. My favorite is chili powder with a pinch of chipotle. Be sure to stir in your add ins well. Serves 2.

Important Update- Please Read!!
On August 10, 2008 I had the opportunity to visit Mona’s shop on Whidbey and get important new information on how to improve the technique of making Sipping Chocolate. So go to my Chocolate Abundance Part I post.

1. EAT!
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

Have a great trip!!

2. Lisa
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

I’d like to have some for lunch! Have fun on vacation. I left an award for you on my blog…not sure if you saw my other post.

3. That Girl
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

We have a great little chocolate shop by us that does sipping chocolate. It’s great to get when you’re walking and window shopping.

4. Tanya
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM | Permalink

Have a great trip, Robin! That sipping chocolate looks delicious!

5. Laura
    Posted August 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM | Permalink

I LOVE the idea of a chocolate station. I have chocolate packed in huge tupperware type boxes, but we are currently building a home, so I think when I design the kitchen I will have to give serious thought to this concept. 🙂

I also love sipping chocolate, although I like mine thinner than is traditional (kind of like hot cocoa only made with chocolate and whole milk). I’ve never tried it with chile powder–probably because I usually go peppermint–but now I want to.

Posted August 8, 2008 at 11:29 AM | Permalink

Eat! – Thanks I will!

Lisa- Thanks for the great award!

That Girl- Yes shopping and sipping is a good deal!

Tanya- Thanks, try some sipping chocolate today!

Laura- Ooh peppermint, now that sounds good too! Do try the chili powder. You are a spicy girl I bet you can come up with some great combo’s! We have an espresso station too, Himself is from Seattle so it is a must in our house!!

7. Layla
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM | Permalink

Whidbey Island is one of my favorite places (especially in the summer), but I haven’t gone to the Chocolate Bar you mention, I’ll have to visit it next time. I hope you have a great time on your vacation!

Posted August 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

Layla- Thanks we will have fun. Did Pike’s Place Market yesterday and loved it as always.

9. Nicole
    Posted August 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

How interesting this sipping chocolate sounds. And it would be hard for me to sip a whole cup too. And a chocolate collection??? You are serious! Wow!

Have a great trip. It sounds lovely. I will be heading east next week myself!