A Watched Pot Never Boils: Frogmore Stew

The most difficult part about making this dinner was waiting for the water to boil. This is a very simple meal to throw together even last minute. Cover the table with newspaper and set with paper plates and big napkins because this is a finger food bonanza. You will also need small bowls of melted butter to dip every single part of this meal. I am giving you an authentic Frogmore Stew adapted from my Hoppin’ John’s Lowcountry Cooking recipe book. You may add potatoes to this recipe to make it a heartier meal but the original recipe leaves them out. I prefer little new potatoes but left them out this time around because they went belly up while I was on vacation.

This was great for a Friday night supper as by the end of the week I do not feel like cooking. We like finger food on Fridays anyway. Each person had their own favorite part of the meal so I was elated that I finally pleased everyone! Fresh ingredients are prefered but most of these ingredients can be kept on hand in the freezer, so start freezing that corn on the cob for a winter-time shrimp boil. Be sure to defrost everything before cooking or you will mess up the cooking times, big time.

Frogmore Stew
4 quarts water
2-4 T. Old Bay seasoning or any shrimp boil
3 T. Kosher salt
12 new potatoes, pierced
2 links chorizo or any other spicy sausage, sliced
6 ears of corn cut in thirds
1 pound raw peel on shrimp, I use Trader Joe’s shrimp with tails
2 sticks melted butter
dinner rolls

Bring first three ingredients to a boil in a covered 8 quart pot. Add potatoes and chorizo, cook for 10 minutes. Add corn and cook for 6 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 4 minutes. Cover pot each time you make an addition. Do not wait until pot returns to boil after each addition, stick to the times given. By the time you need to add the shrimp the pototoes should be done, if not wait until they are done before adding shrimp. Ladle stew into a large bowl and serve with melted butter, dinner rolls, and ice cold Belgian beer. Also have salt and pepper on the table for those who like it extra salty! Serves 4.

Note- Do not throw out the leftover broth. Freeze it for future soups. Delicious.

Here are some wonderful accompaniments to make this an even grander meal but then you will need a fork, bib, and elastic waistband pants.

Coleslaw
Calico Bean Pot Baked Beans
Grilled Saturn Peaches in Praline Sauce a la Mode

Under 100 days until Christmas…Blinkies Robin Sue whatever shall we do? Shop here for some great gifts!

1. Lisa
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

I have been wanting to do a low country boil. This looks great!

2. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

Never heard of “frogmore” stew but shrimp, chorizo, corn on the cob…how could you go wrong?! I’m drooling.

3. Rindy R
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

I have had the privilege of eating this at Robin Sue’s! Make sure you leave your pride at the door – as butter will be dripping from every part of your face. No problem for me- where food is involved I have NO pride! Bring it on! YUM!

4. Kate
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

I’ve heard the term “frogmore” but I’ve never made it or read the recipe … and now I’m hungry for it. This looks fantastic. I wonder how big mushrooms added at the last moment would taste?

5. Tanya
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

Oh my – this looks delicious! Except I don’t like corn on the cob, but I’d probably still try it. I’ve never heard about Frogmore stew before!

And STOP with the Christmas countdown! 100 days? It’s going to go by so fast! 🙂

6. Cindy and Co.
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM | Permalink

I first came across this while living in Charleston and I adore it. I am a potato person and Kate- Mushrooms are considered a sin in this in Charleston so unless your in the Lowcountry go ahead. Someone who I will not name but was of course not me recomened portabello or baby bellas.

7. dobetter
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Looks so good. I love this idea of simple,yummy and one pot. Can’t wait to try it!

8. That Girl
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM | Permalink

I am going to eat low country broil all next week and think of you.

9. PaniniKathy
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

Mmmm…that looks both delicious AND fun!

10. Grace
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 6:08 AM | Permalink

ha–what a name. this is a perfect meal to serve when i’m feeling lazy, which is way too often. 🙂

Posted September 19, 2008 at 7:02 AM | Permalink

Lisa- Give it a try, it is so easy and good.

FOODalogue- The Chorizo really makes this dish.

Rindy- Butter everywhere is the best part.

Kate- I don’t think mushrooms are tradition with this meal but you can put whatever you want in it I guess. Toadstools in a frogmore stew may be fun though!!

Tanya- Tick tick tick. Christmas is closing in on us!

Cindy and Co.- We love this stew and I don’t make it enough but after seeing how much the kids liked it I will make it more often. We don’t do mushrooms in it!

Dobetter- give it a go and let me know!

ThatGirl- Lucky!

PaniniKathy- It’s all of it!

Grace- It is a lazy meal for sure!

12. RecipeGirl
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 8:49 AM | Permalink

I have ALWAYS wanted to make Frogmore Stew! I should have made it at the beach this summer when I had a good outdoor table to make a mess on!

Posted September 21, 2008 at 9:24 AM | Permalink

RecipeGirl- It’s not too too messy, and sure is good!

14. Terri
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM | Permalink

Frogmore Stew is considered a classic Low Country South Carolina dish. This dish is also know as Low-Country boil and Beaufort Stew. The dish gets its name from a place that has only a post office on one side of the road and a two-story white country store on the other. Frogmore is the mailing address for the residents of St. Helena Island just off the South Carolina coast.

Frogmore Stew is actually not a stew and it contains NO Frogs! Frogmore Stew features two main ingredients, fresh shrimp and freshly-shucked yellow corm, but most anything that is good boiled, such as crabs, redskin potatoes, and even crawfish can be added. This seafood boil is usually served on paper plates around newspaper-covered picnic tables outdoors, with plenty of ice-cold beer.

Frogmore Stew

Beaufort historian, Gerhard Spieler believes that the recipe was the invention of local shrimpers who used whatever food items they had on hand to make a stew. Richard Gay of Gay Seafood Company also claimed to have invented Frogmore Stew. On National Guard duty in Beaufort in the 1960s, he was preparing a cookout of leftovers for his fellow guardsmen and he brought the recipe home to the community of Frogmore with him, putting out copies of the recipe at his seafood market and selling all the necessary ingredients. Frogmore Stew has become a current favorite at some fancy restaurants in Charleston and some of the resorts along the Carolina coast.

15. Stephanie L
    Posted January 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

Here in the Deep South, we call it a Low Country Boil, but no matter the name it is a crowd pleaser! Sometimes for extra flavor, I throw in a few whole yellow onions, and for special occasions, crawfish instead of shrimp.

16. Wayne
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

Just use Hillshire Farms smoked sausage and don’t ever put kielbasa in it. Makes it taste funky. Also cook the potatoes separate or they’ll turn to mush…You can flavor them, but I hate mushy potatoes in my cook pot.

When you change the basic recipe and start getting cute, you can call it Low Country Boil(which is what the Yankees started calling it when they started the invasion of Beaufort County). Also keep in mind that the Cooper River is the Mason Dixon line.

Richard Gay didn’t invent it either…he was just yanking old Gerhard’s chain!

One Trackback