Fourth Generation Ice Box Pudding: Cooking With Daelyn

I thought back to the very first recipe my Ma taught me to make. Ice Box Pudding. I asked Ma the other day about it. Why is is called Ice Box Pudding? Did her Mom make it? Ma said that her mother, Vincenza used to make this for them and the reason it is called Ice Box Pudding is because it was made in ice boxes.

“Refrigerators you mean?” I asked.

“No ice boxes that you used to make ice cubes in, those old metal trays with the lift out ice forms.” Ma said. Her mother used to make this in those metal trays without the ice molds then put in in the refrigerator to set. She said Mama used to only make one layer and it wasn’t until later that they would make the two layers in a bigger pan.

“We loved when Mama made this for us, it was so delicious.” Ma remembered.

“Did you use Jell-O pudding too?” I asked.

“Yes we had Jell-O back then!” Ma said.

I can remember making this as a child with the help of my Ma. We used an 8×8 pan because we did not have any of those ice boxes anymore. We did two layers; a chocolate pudding layer and a vanilla layer. I have allowed Daelyn do little things in the kitchen here and there so I thought her first recipe should be Ice Box Pudding. We used a 9×5 inch loaf pan, the closest thing to an ice box I could find. With out further adieu, here is Daelyn.

Ingredients: Milk, 1 Small Box Each- Chocolate and Vanilla Instant Pudding, Original Graham Crackers

Equipment: Measuring Cup, 2 Rubber Spatulas, 2 Mixing Bowls, 2 Spoons, I large Zip-top Bag, One Loaf Pan, One Rolling Pin

Line bottom of loaf pan with 2 1/2 Graham crackers, break in quarters to fit.

Place 6 whole graham crackers in Zip-top bag and seal.

Crush crackers using rolling pin. “Not that way Daelyn!”

Much better.

Pour vanilla pudding in mixing bowl.

Add 1 1/2 cups cold milk.

Stir until thickened.

Pour on top of Graham crackers.

Spread to edges of pan.

Sprinkle one half of crushed Graham crackers over top of vanilla pudding.

Pour chocolate pudding into another mixing bowl.

Add 1 1/2 cups cold milk.

Stir until thickened.

Pour over crushed Graham crackers.

Spread to the edges of the pan.

Sprinkle with the remaining crushed Graham crackers.

Smile and strike a pose! Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until set.

Wash dishes.

Daelyn was so proud of her dish. Here is what she had to say:
“Am I a good cooker mom?”
“Daddy, I made this dessert just for you!”
“Momma helped a little bit.”

What others had to say:
“This is the best thing you ever made, Daelyn.”
“This is delicious!”

Take time to make this with your kids. It is a comforting dish that reminds me of cooking with Ma and now Dae Dae!

For next week at Big Red Kitchen:

2 Cheap Chicks & $20 in Trader Joe’s: Can these two Cheap Chicks create a 3 dish meal worthy of company with just $20? Check back here on Monday 9/22 and over at the other Cheap Chick’s blog Kitchen Klique for the answer.

Also…

Big Red Kitchen goes Western for Supper Club. Come back next Wednesday 9/24 to see our Rootin’ Tootin’ good time and the best vittles this side of the Rockies!

1. Anonymous
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 9:42 AM | Permalink

My grandaughter is so cute! This does bring back memories because MaMa never really fixed dessert. We had to beg and this was mostly at holiday times. But the ice trays were so different back then. They were wider trays, if I remember correctly. The freezer part of the refrigerators was so small and dinky. Hardly any room to freeze anything but ice and maybe a couple of pounds of meat. (As I remember it.) Back then, we used more fresh – the reason why the freezer was probably so small. MaMa went to get the chicken killed at the chicken place for the holidays. My dad with to the North End of Boston every week to buy the meat, mostly lamb. My mother went to East Boston Square to shop, where there was a store for fresh fish, a store for fresh vegetables, etc. But fresh is coming back with the free range chickens, free range beef, etc. That’s good. And of course we can always get fresh vegs. at the grocery store. Such memories. Ma

2. Anonymous
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Daelyn-I can’t wait to make some of this on my own. Looks yummy! Nick

3. Laura
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

That’s awesome! I wish I liked pudding–I ought to search for similar kinds of desserts that my kids could make. I especially like the wacking with the pin. 🙂

4. Alexa
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

She is so cute! This post is just heartwarming… I love cooking with my kids. It makes any dish just that much more special.

5. sporkboy
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

I love that first action shot with the rolling pin though my first thought was “Noooo, now the rolling pin is going to have dents in it!”. Still these are the things that give our well loved kitchen tools character.

6. Tanya
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Awww…what a sweet post. It’s great you’re passing on a family memory with your daughter. She looks like a great “cooker!”

7. Aggie
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

This is great! I know my son would love helping me make this. Your daughter is a cutie!

Found your blog from Jersey Girl Cooks! Great blog!

8. Lisa
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Icebox cake is so good! Your little helper is beautiful!

9. Grace
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 6:01 AM | Permalink

what a lovely and talented assistant you have! i LOVE the shot of her taking the rolling pin to the graham crackers. i laughed out loud. great recipe, great post. 🙂

10. Cindy and Co.
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Wow…the kids will be trying this one soon. I love old recipes with family memories. They just seem to taste better. I will however be using the action shot of the Graham crackers as a learning tool. I don’t think my counters could take it…lol. Can’t wait to see what y’all can do with $20.

11. Tartelette
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

This post would make my husband so happy!! Your assistant is precious!!

12. Erin
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

I’m new to your site, but I do think that was the cutest blog post I’ve ever seen! How much fun to keep a family tradition going like that. Your daughter is just too cute 🙂

13. That Girl
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

Your assistant is beyond fantastic. She has a bright future ahead of her.

14. Kate
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 7:35 PM | Permalink

That child is just gorgeous, isn’t she? And I love how serious she looks until the end. That is one serious looking cook!

15. PaniniKathy
    Posted September 21, 2008 at 1:21 AM | Permalink

It looks like your little girl had a fantastic time with this! She’s going to have such fond memories of cooking with you. I can’t wait till mine is old enough to cook with me!

Posted September 21, 2008 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

Anon- Thanks MA!!

Nick- You will love this. Make it with your mom, it makes it even better! Love ya kid!

Laura- as long as she doesn't wack her brothers!

Alexa- Sometimes they are nice to cook with and sometimes they fight or lose interest and disappear!

Sporkboy- Funny I was more worried about my counters than the rolling pin!

Tanya- Thanks she is a good little cooker!

Aggie- Welcome to the blog! Thanks for stopping by. This is very nice to do with kids and they love doing the dishes!!

Lisa- Thanks she is a cutie.

Grace- Thanks she is a hoot and keeps us laughing (sometimes crying 🙂 ! )

Cindy & Co.- I do like the hand me down recipes they are best and you feel closer as a family when you can share the memories! The $20 thing is a hoot!

Tartelette- Does your hubby like pudding treats? Thanks for saying Dae is precious. Yup we call her precious wecious!

Erin- Welcome to BRK! We have a lot of family traditions, some good and some not so good, like we all love to eat!! Ha!

ThatGirl- She does have a great future!

Kate- She is a serious cooker!

PaniniKathy- She will be grown before you know it! Then they talk back!!