Gâteau au Chocolat

That deep dark chocolate mountain went into this decadent chocolate cake: Gâteau au Chocolat. This is a fudgie cake that is a standby for when someone asks me to bring dessert. Why? Not only is it wonderful tasting it improves with age and freezes well, so I can bake a few and have one or two on hand if necessary.

I found this recipe from Molly’s Blog, Orangette. I am sure you are familiar with her famous blog. She made these cakes ahead of time for her wedding only to have them perfect on her special day. If you have never read her blog go on over and enjoy her sing-songy prose with a touch of whimsy.

These cakes are a breeze to whip up as everything is done in a big Dutch oven then poured into the awaiting pans. I would say the most difficult thing is chopping the chocolate. Once the cakes were cooled I wrapped each in parchment, then foil, and placed in a zip top bag to store in the freezer.

I have decorated these cakes many ways in the past, from a simple sprinkle of powdered sugar to a 6 inch high mound of fresh strawberries dusted with powdered sugar, very pretty. This time I did small rounds of whipped cream with my pastry bag and topped each with a fresh strawberry. One could use chocolate shavings or anything the imagination allows. I have even plated the individual servings surrounded with dots or swirls of raspberry sauce. Very pretty indeed.

Do you have an “Ole Reliable” dessert?

Have you subscribed to Big Red Kitchen? Great recipes in here!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

1. Cindy and Co.
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

OMG!! YUM! I don’t have an Ole Reliable dessert as I try not to eat them…lol. But I may have one now! That looks divine. I will have to try it at least twice to make sure I got it right the first time..heh.

2. Alexa
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

This is such a beautiful cake… It looks so rich and moist: a dessert worth having.
    I am still trying to rework some of my dense chocolate cakes. Gluten free tends to be crumbly, so it takes a lot of experiments to get it right when you try to convert recipes. An old standby that still works is flourless chocolate cake… yummmm

3. grahamstravelblog
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

That cake looks so good. I’m not thinking of a reliable dessert that I pull out. That’s kind of sad really. Great pictures by the way.

4. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

Oh my, that looks so luxious! There’s a relieble dessert we do in our family, it’s a sweet condensed milk pudding. But I try to get away from it and try new things each time, but it’s nice to know that one will allways work…

5. Lisa
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Great dessert! I might have to try and put a few in my freezer too.

6. Candy
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM | Permalink

Oh my! This looks positively sinful! I’m shaking!

7. Lisa
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM | Permalink

Your cake looks quite wonderful. I think it is a perfect “ole reliable” dessert. Actually I have a couple I rely on but one, called Chocolate Decadence, is much like this one. I think that, or a cheesecake, work for most any occasion.

8. That Girl
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM | Permalink

It makes me happy that you have pictures of messy bowls. I makes me feel like less of a kitchen failure with flour all over my counters and my face covered in batter.

9. noble pig
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 12:49 AM | Permalink

Absolutely getting my fat pants out…becuase I’ll have to eat five of them! Yum!

10. nicisme
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 4:50 AM | Permalink

Chocolate at this time of the morning is a gorgeous sight, looks fabulous!

11. Grace
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM | Permalink

thank the lord above for chocolate–this is great. my go-to dessert is banana pudding. in fact, i think i need a new batch right now. 🙂

Posted October 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM | Permalink

Cindy- try it twice or thrice no one is counting!

Alexa- Thank you flourless cakes are great. This one is almost flourless!

Graham- Thanks again for the compliment and Stumble!

Clumsie Cookie- I would love to know what sweetened cond. Pudding is!

Lisa- It freezes perfectly!

Candy- Shaking burns calories!

Lisa- Ooh Chocolate Decadence, now that sounds perfect!

That Girl- I am the messiest baker, messy bowls messy everything!

Noble Pig- Fats pants a must!

nicisme-Thanks so much!

Grace- Ooh we love banana pudding too!