Herbinate Your Butter

What are you going to do with your waning herb garden now that Fall is setting in? I’m going to make flavored butters. Herb butters are easy to make and freeze beautifully. In my garden I have chives, sage, parsley, mint (in pots of course!), oregano, basil, rosemary, lemon verbena, and thyme. With a little imagination you can make all kinds of combinations and now that I am in the bread baking mode these butters are an added treat. Here is one of the butters I just made that is delicious and perfect on multi-grain or multi-seeded breads. The honey gives it that perfect touch of sweetness to balance the earthiness of seeded breads.

Herbed Lemon Honey Butter
1 pound sweet cream butter, room temperature
4-5 T. chopped fresh chives
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
zest of one lemon
2 pinches kosher salt
2 T. Honey

Blend all ingredients well. Refrigerate covered up to 4 weeks or freeze up to 6 months. Serve with your favorite breads, biscuits, scones, savory muffins or even atop a juicy grilled steak.

If you are interested in baking bread try these posts…
Bread Baking Made Easier- Finally
Bread Another Way? No Way
Irish Soda Bread
Gluten Free Bread Recipes! at Artsy-Foodie.

PS- Have you ever flavored your butter? What is your favorite flavor combination?

This book is a must for anyone who wants to bake perfect bread…

1. Joan
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

…so simple, so tasty, and so impressive for guests. Thanks.

2. Lisa
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

Great idea! I love the flavor of herbs.

3. grahamstravelblog
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

That’s a great idea. Last year I hung most of my herbs in the kitchen, admittedly not the best place, to dry. They looked really nice and the were handy when I needed dried herbs.

4. Rob
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

I’ve been really wanting to try something like this but as a sauce for steaks– similar to Michael Ruhlman’s “Compound Butter” (http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2008/02/elements-compou.html)

5. Nicole
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

Sounds good! I made bread last weekend. I need to post about it as soon as I finish some other posts.

Another fun thing to do with herbs is stir them up or blend them in mayonnaise for an added gourmet twist to sandwiches!

6. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 7:05 PM | Permalink

Herbinate is a great word! I love flavoured butters and herbs are allways cool to use in them! Very nice!

7. Alexa
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 11:14 PM | Permalink

Oh, wow… You are a genius!!! I love this idea.

Posted October 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Joan- Thanks and I see you posted on the Foodie Fight. I will have to read more on that!

Lisa- Thanks.

Graham- I love having my fresh herbs around!

Rob- So it is not called herbinate? I’t a compound? I like herbinate better!

Nicole- Yes they are great in Mayo, just like the tarragon I put in your aioli!

Clumbsy Cookie- Thanks!

Alexa- Genius! I guess I am! He He!

9. Kevin
    Posted October 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM | Permalink

I like the sound of herded butter. I don’t know why I have never tried it.

Posted October 11, 2008 at 8:42 PM | Permalink

Kevin- It is very easy to do and adds so much richness to an already rich and wonderful food item!