Jalapeño Popper Dip

That’s right, you heard it here- Jalapeño Popper Dip! I love jalapeño poppers and have even tried to make them, which didn’t turn out as well as their purchased cousin and were pretty labor intensive. The word labor makes me run the other way. Have you ever made poppers before? Dealing with jalapeños is quite an undertaking as one has to be very careful not to burn their hands or rub their eyes during the process. And frying at home can be messy sometimes. So when I found this Jalapeño Popper Spread on allrecipes.com I was trilled some one had figured out how to deconstruct these little gems and turn it into a dip. I read through some of the reviews and suggestions and developed my own version of the original recipe.

Just look at that thick layer of prebaked crust.

I took this appetizer to a neighborhood gathering last Saturday and everyone really liked it- a lot. They thought it had just enough kick and agreed that if there weren’t kids eating it too, that I could have easily added a bit more jalapeño. Can you say new dip sensation? Buffalo chicken Wing Dip it was nice knowin’ ya. This is the new It in town. Go ahead and file this one because the holidays and the Super Bowl are right around the corner, you won’t be disappointed and I think you and your friends will agree that this tastes just like the real Jalapeño Poppers.

Look at that beautiful golden crust atop a bubbly creamy and flavorful base.

Jalapeño Popper Dip
2- 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1- 4 ounce can sliced jalapeños- double if you like heat

1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter, melted

In a food processor add the first 6 ingredients and process until smooth. You do not need to drain either can of peppers. Spread the dip into a greased 2 quart casserole. In a bowl mix bread crumbs and the other 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Pour melted butter over top crumb mixture and mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the dip and bake in a 375° oven for about 20 minutes. You want the top to get browned and the dip to be heated through and bubble gently on the edges. Do not over heat this dish or the mayonnaise with separate and you will have a grease puddle in your dip. Serve with Buttery crackers or a sliced French baguette. Serves 8-10.

Update- Nicole from Art and Aioli made this dip and it was a hit at her party. She spiced it up a notch by adding 2 diced fresh jalapenos. So play with your desired heat level and add more or less jalapeno peppers, you can’t go wrong!

For other delicious dips and spreads:

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Jalapeño Beer Queso
Macho Nacho Dip

Very Fun Game: We played this at the neighborhood gathering. Very Fun. Have each person write the name of a famous person, fictional or real, ten total, on a strip of paper and place in a basket. Divide into two teams, we played guys against the gals. Team one goes first. One person has to give clues to the team without revealing the name while the team tries to guess who is on the slip of paper. See how many each team can do in 30 seconds. Tally the score after each round. Rotate clue giver with each round. The team with the most points wins. The guys beat us that night because they stumped the ladies with sports people and famous band members-who the heck is Robert Plant? Oh and if you can’t describe the name you drew keep going until time is up. We came up with over 100 names so the game lasted a good hour. Try it at your next gathering.

For tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen– My 3rd instalment of Boston Day Trips- East Boston to Revere and Then Some. See some of the groovy places I visited. Wear your drool bib.

Never miss a post, subscribe to Big Red Kitchen now!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

Posted October 27, 2008 at 7:31 AM | Permalink

Lori- This is great any time of the year!

Joie de vivre- Thanks for the comment and the bookmark!!

Anon- I am so glad you made this and I love the modifications, I think it would be great on crustinis, very fancy indeed! I was making cheese steaks the other night and thought “darn I wish I had some of the dip left, it would make a great sandwich spread on cheese steaks!”

2. Nicole
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Okay. I KNOW I commented on this last week!!! That is weird. Anyway … I said something to the effect that I love jalapeno poppers and it was on my list to try. Well I made it Saturday for my sister’s 30th bday/costume party. Turned out great. I may post on it too. The pics aren’t great of the dip but there are some fun costume pics!

3. Jamie
    Posted November 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM | Permalink

We made this for a party last night and it was devoured within minutes. I almost felt bad for the hostess because all of her stuff was just left sitting there and everyone wante dthe recipe – I kept saying “BIG RED KITCHEN”!!

I will be the hit of every gathering now – thanks!!

4. Anonymous
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 1:52 AM | Permalink

Sorry. can’t agree with all these reviews, I was sorely dissapointed.I used at least a dozen fresh large jalapenas and no bite. I can’t imagine that canned would be better.We went ahead and ate it but for the most part it was disposed of. At least the Chargers won.I’m sticking with crab stuffed mushrooms, thats some good stuff.

5. biz319
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 12:12 AM | Permalink

Robin Sue, you had me at jalapeno!!

I will make this and add the fresh jalapenos to kick it up!

Good luck in the contest – I can’t believe how many people submitted recipes!

You should be very proud of yourself!

6. Kat
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Who is Robert Plant? Am I that old? I am taking ths dip to a Super Bowl Party tonight, I just hope I can keep my hands off of it until it gets there.

7. Our Catholic Family
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM | Permalink

I made this tonight for a superbowl party and it was a hit! Everyone loved it the spicy people went nuts and even those who didn`t do spicy loved it. However, I doubled the jalepanos in my recipe so when I went to add more I actually added three cans juice and all.

I thought the heat was a bit much. But, everyone else loved the kick. The jalepenos I got at the store in the can had the seeds still so I think that contributed. But, was still awesome!

Posted February 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

Kat- hope everyone likes it!

Our Catholic Family- Thanks for the comment. I use one can becasue the brand I use adds lots of seed, so very hot. I have done it with 2 can and only the guys eat it that way!

9. BEFFY!
    Posted May 22, 2009 at 12:19 AM | Permalink

Love your website and LOVE this dip! Made it here in Alaska on a rather chilly May night, and it warmed us up! (doubled the jalapenos!)
    Thanks!
    p.s…we had chicken bundles last night and dulce de leche pie for the last two nights! YUM! LOVE YOUR WEBSITE!!!

10. Anonymous
    Posted July 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

Years ago, I bought a pound of jalapenos at the farmers market, and chopped and deseeded them with bare hands. An hour later the skin on my hands peeled off like a glove

11. Anonymous
    Posted August 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM | Permalink

I've made this about 4x since May – entertaining at my cottage. EVERYONE loves this!

12. jennilea
    Posted December 31, 2009 at 1:00 PM | Permalink

I love my jalepeno poppers with a sweet berry dip to compliment the spicy cheesiness so I am wondering how we can add the sweet element to this dip???

13. Modern Lighting
    Posted January 4, 2011 at 1:27 AM | Permalink

This sounds like 'da bomb! I love stuff like this. YUM! makes me hungry and I have not even had my coffee yet this morning! The ice cubes are a great tip, too!

14. maggie
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 3:09 AM | Permalink

So… I made the dip this past weekend. My guests raved over it! However, I would have liked it with a little more heat. I never liked to mess around with a recipe until I’ve made it first… I think next time I will throw in a fresh chopped jalapeño, but that’s probably because I’m from Texas. 😛

15. stellalynne
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM | Permalink

I like my jalepeno poppers a sweet berry dip what a spicy.thanks for dropping by 🙂

16. KZ
    Posted March 4, 2011 at 3:10 AM | Permalink

made this dip tonight, and it was a hit!

Instead of using the mexican blend cheese, I used shredded pepper jack, added a little extra kick!

17. BlueMist
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM | Permalink

This looks awesome. I'm bookmarking it for my next football party.

You were kidding about not knowing who Robert Plant is, right? LOL

18. Jessica Lauren
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM | Permalink

Found this recipe floating around Pinterest and it looks AMAZING! I'm featuring it on my blog Copy-Cat-Crafter
    Can't wait to have an excuse to try it out!

19. Anonymous
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM | Permalink

Ran across this recipe the other day and fixed it for a party last night! Oh, My, Gosh!! This is the best stuff ever! I think it will now be my go-to party dish! Thanks!

20. Anonymous
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

I made this last night and substituted sour cream for the mayo. I used light sour cream and cream cheese. It tasted great that way! This is definitely a keeper.

21. Anonymous
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

This came out awesome! Took it to a party and it was devoured! Next time I'm going to cut the topping in half, it was a little too much topping. But other than that, it was awesome!

Posted January 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

Anon- Glad you liked this! Sometimes we leave the topping off and dig right into the goo!!

23. r0603
    Posted January 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM | Permalink

Tonight is the second time I've made this (1st was Christmas last month) – different crowd tonight. Both times everyone is asking for the recipe. I am a foodie – I try a lot of recipes, and family and friends are my 'guinea pigs' … while everyone likes my cooking, there are only a few recipes everyone always asks for – this is now one of them. When I take it out of the oven, it's a fight to decide if I share it, or eat it with a spoon… AWESOME! I am an on and off (the wagon!) Weight Watcher, so I make it with Neufchatel instead of Cream Cheese, and I use the Mayo with Olive Oil (less fat) – makes me feel a little less guilty. 🙂 SO SO SO GOOD!!

24. Kate
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

I made this today for a lunch at work, and it was a HUGE hit with everyone, 4 people have already asked for the recipe! Thanks!!

25. Lisa
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Looking forward to making this tomorrow! thank you!