Jalapeño Popper Dip

That’s right, you heard it here- Jalapeño Popper Dip! I love jalapeño poppers and have even tried to make them, which didn’t turn out as well as their purchased cousin and were pretty labor intensive. The word labor makes me run the other way. Have you ever made poppers before? Dealing with jalapeños is quite an undertaking as one has to be very careful not to burn their hands or rub their eyes during the process. And frying at home can be messy sometimes. So when I found this Jalapeño Popper Spread on allrecipes.com I was trilled some one had figured out how to deconstruct these little gems and turn it into a dip. I read through some of the reviews and suggestions and developed my own version of the original recipe.

Just look at that thick layer of prebaked crust.

I took this appetizer to a neighborhood gathering last Saturday and everyone really liked it- a lot. They thought it had just enough kick and agreed that if there weren’t kids eating it too, that I could have easily added a bit more jalapeño. Can you say new dip sensation? Buffalo chicken Wing Dip it was nice knowin’ ya. This is the new It in town. Go ahead and file this one because the holidays and the Super Bowl are right around the corner, you won’t be disappointed and I think you and your friends will agree that this tastes just like the real Jalapeño Poppers.

Look at that beautiful golden crust atop a bubbly creamy and flavorful base.

Jalapeño Popper Dip
2- 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1- 4 ounce can sliced jalapeños- double if you like heat

1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter, melted

In a food processor add the first 6 ingredients and process until smooth. You do not need to drain either can of peppers. Spread the dip into a greased 2 quart casserole. In a bowl mix bread crumbs and the other 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Pour melted butter over top crumb mixture and mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the dip and bake in a 375° oven for about 20 minutes. You want the top to get browned and the dip to be heated through and bubble gently on the edges. Do not over heat this dish or the mayonnaise with separate and you will have a grease puddle in your dip. Serve with Buttery crackers or a sliced French baguette. Serves 8-10.

Update- Nicole from Art and Aioli made this dip and it was a hit at her party. She spiced it up a notch by adding 2 diced fresh jalapenos. So play with your desired heat level and add more or less jalapeno peppers, you can’t go wrong!

For other delicious dips and spreads:

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Jalapeño Beer Queso
Macho Nacho Dip

Very Fun Game: We played this at the neighborhood gathering. Very Fun. Have each person write the name of a famous person, fictional or real, ten total, on a strip of paper and place in a basket. Divide into two teams, we played guys against the gals. Team one goes first. One person has to give clues to the team without revealing the name while the team tries to guess who is on the slip of paper. See how many each team can do in 30 seconds. Tally the score after each round. Rotate clue giver with each round. The team with the most points wins. The guys beat us that night because they stumped the ladies with sports people and famous band members-who the heck is Robert Plant? Oh and if you can’t describe the name you drew keep going until time is up. We came up with over 100 names so the game lasted a good hour. Try it at your next gathering.

For tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen– My 3rd instalment of Boston Day Trips- East Boston to Revere and Then Some. See some of the groovy places I visited. Wear your drool bib.

Never miss a post, subscribe to Big Red Kitchen now!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

1. noel brannum
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

I made this for the Superbowl and guess what? Everyone had a fit and said that it is my new dish to bring to gatherings! It was so easy and delicious. I cooked it in an extra lg pie plate then cut whole peppers in half and placed them in a spiral on top to make it pretty! Thanks for the recipe!!!!

2. Jasmine
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

I made this and your buffalo dip yesterday for a party. Everyone at the party kept asking "who made the dips?" Both were delicious but the bowl that got licked clean was the buffalo dip! Thanks for the great recipes, I will definitely be making these anytime I need to make dip!

3. Eyrie
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

Bacon? I like the bacon wrapped poppers so I will definitely add bacon 😀

• Linda
      Posted November 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM | Permalink

Oh yah, I’m with you!! BACON!!

4. Karen
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM | Permalink

Do you have any low calorie ideas for this recipe? I SO love jalapenos!

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM | Permalink

I think some people have tried the no fat or lowfat cream cheese/ mayo. Other than that, you may have to half the recipe so not to have so much of it- it is addicting, and the less there is, the better I do!!
      Enjoy
      Robin Sue

5. Danielle
    Posted July 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM | Permalink

Do you think if I omit the mayo it would still turn out? I am just not a mayo fan…..

• Robin Sue
      Posted July 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM | Permalink

You can use sour cream in its place. Enjoy!

6. Posted August 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

I just wanted to thank you for this amazing dip! Within one week, I have had mulitple requests to make it! This dip is perfect for any party! Tastes exactly like a jalapeño popper!!!!!

7. Posted August 31, 2012 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

love the pic and the recipe. feature on friday five @ Feed Your Soul http://chefpeterskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-five.html

8. Sara
    Posted September 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM | Permalink

This was awesome! I did try the lower fat cream cheese though. Also, I had Kraft mayo with olive oil on hand so I decided to use that and also I had some whole wheat panko crumbs and only used half of the butter it called for for the topping and it all still turned out fabulous. 😀

9. Heather P
    Posted September 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM | Permalink

I made this using all fresh jalapenos from our garden. It was delicious! My three boys ages 8, 6, and 3 all loved it.

10. fairshar
    Posted September 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM | Permalink

I made this with fresh jalapenos and added some cooked, crumbled bacon. Yummy!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

Bacon makes everything better!

11. Heather
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM | Permalink

Took this to a Halloween party today and EVERYONE asked for the recipe. I sent them the link to your recipe. It was delicious!

12. allison
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM | Permalink

This has been a hit everytime I make it! I add a package of jalapeno bacon bits and it is amazing!

13. Clemkitty
    Posted December 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

This dip was a huge hit at a recent Christmas party! We used 1-1/2 fresh jalapenos instead of canned. And served it on thinly sliced toasted baguette. (Use an electric knife to get the thin slices without squishing the bread.) Delicious!

14. Valerie
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM | Permalink

Thank you!!! I now get requests for me to make/bring this for get togethers. Amazing!!!!

15. Posted December 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Maybe it’s just because I’m from Texas, but… Shouldn’t these have bacon???

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM | Permalink

They are awesome with bacon!!

16. Emily
    Posted February 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM | Permalink

I don’t have a food processor. Anything else I can use? I wanna make this sooo badly!

• Robin Sue
      Posted February 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

You could probably mix it all by hand. Great workout!

17. Denise
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM | Permalink

I have made this two times now. It is Wonderful…It called for 1- 4 ounce can sliced jalapeños I added about 12oz. I like it hot.

18. Breanna
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

This was very simple to make! Just toss it all in the food processor and you’re basically done! I did double the amount of jalapenos and it gave it just the right amount of heat. Everyone gave me compliments on this. Definitely make!!! 🙂

19. Jessica
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

Does the mayo go bad if it sits out for a party? I’m making it and want to make sure it won’t bad if it gets cold.

• Robin Sue
      Posted September 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

I have not had any trouble setting it out hot and have it cool over time. It is usually eaten up very quickly!

6 Trackbacks

1. […] 5.) Jalepeno Popper Dip […]

2. By 50 Great Game Day Recipes - Tailor Made Momma on September 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM

[…] 32. Jalapeno Popper Dip […]

3. […] Jalapeno Popper Dip: I love jalapeno poppers or stuffed jalapenos or whatever you want to call them. This takes the idea and turns it into a dip. It’s very good and a bit addictive. You’ve been warned. […]

4. By Jalapeño Popper Dip | WorldFoodRecipes.com on May 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

[…] Original Recipe: http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2008/10/jalapeno-popper-dip/ […]

5. By Jalapeño Popper Dip | Good Stuff Only on May 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

[…] For more details please visit this link were you will find instructions : bigredkitchen.com […]

6. By Jalapeno Popper Dip | Foods, Drinks & Recipes on August 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM

[…] Read all the details and the full recipe on bigredkitchen.com […]