La Dame Blanche- Belgium’s Hot Fudge Sundae

The White Lady is a famous French opera based on Scottish writer Sir Walter Scott’s works. The tale is one of love, mystery, heroes, and romance but Dame Blanche is also the name for Belgium’s classic dessert; the Hot Fudge Sundae. Dame Blanche is on most restaurant menus in Belgium and after a big meal of Mussels and Pommes Frites, this was my favorite dessert to order. A perfect accompaniment to this dessert is Cherish Raspberry a Belgian Lambic.

While in Boston last week, I stayed with my cousin Cliff, who is a Belgian Beer Importer. So lets just say I sampled some fabulous beers. I fell in love with Cherish Raspberry. My cousin Cheryl also made a delicious Hot Fudge Sauce for the ice cream they purchased from Richardson’s, the best! So in honor of my trip to Boston, my fond memories of Belgium, and my new love of Cherish I bring you La Dame Blanche.

This 3 ingredient fudge sauce is not only good it is easy. It would be great as a fondue too.

Dame Blanche
premium vanilla ice cream
whipped cream
chocolate fudge sauce
cherries

For the Chocolate Fudge Sauce:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 t. vanilla

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir milk and chocolate together until chocolate is melted and sauce is thick and warm. Be careful not to scorch. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

To Assemble:
In a Cherish Glass or any pretty glass, place two scoops vanilla ice cream. Top with whipped cream and a cherry. Serve the Hot Fudge Sauce on the side. Enjoy with a Cherish Raspberry or Cherish Cherry Lambic.

For a Dark Lady use chocolate ice cream and in time for Halloween, a Green Lady, use pistachio ice cream.

I would love to know, have you ever tried a dessert beer and if so, which one?

1. EAT!
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 7:28 AM | Permalink

Sweetened condensed milk is one of my favorite ingredients. It is so versatile. Is it too early for hot fudge?

2. Tanya
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

Oh my that fudge sauce looks decadent!

I’ve never tried a dessert beer, but there is a chocolate oatmeal stout that someone alerted me to that sounds delicious. Sounds like a dessert beer to me!

3. I'm just the typist
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 1:09 PM | Permalink

I used to live in Brussels, so I am really jealous that you know an importer! My favorite is Rodenbach, which has hints of cherry but isn’t too sweet. You’ll have to try it if you haven’t already. Danielle

4. Veronica
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 8:57 PM | Permalink

I have never tried dessert beer…I will have to look for that cherish beer. Lovely photos!

5. Grace
    Posted October 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM | Permalink

dessert beer? can’t help ya there. however, if you needed help eating that dessert, i would be a valuable assistant. 🙂

6. j*amy
    Posted October 15, 2008 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

yum!!! that looks good! and easy!!

Posted October 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

Eat!- Sw. Con Milk is the best but I am sad it is in a bottle now, makes it too easy to just pour in my mouth!!

Tanya- Whoa a chocolate oatmeal stout. Mercy!

Danielle- I will have to give that one a try! Thanks!

Veronica- Thanks so much for the comment!

Grace- Come on down!

j*amy- So very easy and yummy!

8. noble pig
    Posted October 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM | Permalink

Okay, first, a fondue with this…oh yes, sign me up!

Then a dessert beer? A dessert beer? What? Really? Really? Never, ever heard of it.

9. Happy cook
    Posted October 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Here in Belgium they have lot of fruity beer, one of the famous one is with cherries.
    My first dessert in belgium was dame blanch and that was years and years ago, but every time i go some where for dinner i take it again almost every time and my daughter is so love them too.

Posted October 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM | Permalink

noble pig- Yes there are dessert beers now or at least hitting the US hard now. They are really nice.

Happy Cook- I have had a Cherry beer and they are deilcious too. Thanks for stopping in all the way from Belgium!!