Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Cups

It was difficult to name these little treats. I think the title is too long but if I had called them Little Fudgies or Fudge Cookies, no one would know what I was talking about. Years ago I found a recipe on allrecipes.com called Cranberry Hootycreeks. These cookies have all of my favorite components of a Fall-time cookie: cranberries, white chocolate, nuts, and oats. They look pretty layered in the jar but I mostly kept them for myself to whip up in case of last minute company. I like to be ready!

The other day I was going through some of my favorite foodie blogs and came across The Recipe Girl’s Apple Cranberry Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust. That Oatmeal Crust quickly reminded me of the Hootycreeks and I got a hankerin’ for making some. Then I came across a new to me site called Sunday Baker and almost fainted when I saw her Puddles of Yum, a peanut butter cookie crust filled with a chocolate fudge. Truly yummy. So now I couldn’t get my mind off the Hootycreeks or these Puddles and would not be satisfied until I made an new version of the Hootycreeks with some of that fudge inside. I combined all the ideas of the Hootycreeks, The Recipe Girl’s oatmeal crust, and the Puddles and made up these Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Cups and I must say they are delicious. Thank you to Lori (The Recipe Girl) and Tanya over at Sunday Baker for inspiring these very yummy little pies-o-fudge. Or whatever you call them.

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Cups
3 C. rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 t. Kosher salt
1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped fine
1/3 cup pecans, chopped fine
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350°. In a stand mixer, mix all of the above ingredients until they come together in a ball. Divide dough evenly into 36 balls, about 1 1/4 inches in size. Place balls in greased muffin tins and tamp down with a tart press until the crust is formed into a small well. See the above picture for what my wooden tart press looks like. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in tins. If you try to get them out while hot, they will break. To remove, run a sharp knife around the edge of each cup and pop out.

For White Chocolate Filling:
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 t. vanilla extract

In a small sauce pan over low heat, heat milk and chips until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Fill each oatmeal crust with filling and let cool. Place in air-tight container at room temperature. Makes 36 cookies.

Note- You will have some filling leftover which thinned a little with milk is a fantastic fruit dip. Or make more cookie crusts and fill them up too!

PS- Help me give these a better name! Purty Please!

A Constant Source of Entertainment: Child Theology
On the way home from school the other day, my daughter asked how old Jesus was. I told her that he was over 2000 years old but He has been with God since the beginning. She was amused with his age. Then her older brother, my middle, chimed in and said, “What do you care Daelyn, you’re not even a Christian yet”.
“Deven, be nice.” I said.
“But mom she isn’t a Christian yet, she’s still a Jew.”
Kids.

Tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen– Jalapeño Popper Dip. You got that right. Now the favorite finger food turned into a hugely popular dip. Come on by tomorrow to see this 8th Wonder of the World.

1. I'm just the typist
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 7:08 AM | Permalink

These look sinful. I could never make them because I would devour them in one day! Good luck finding a more creative name for them. In my house, they would simply be “Gone in 60 Seconds” tarts.

2. Rob
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

I just like saying “Hootycreeks.”

My challenge to everyone today: use the word “hootycreeks” in conversation. But try to keep it one word– something like “My hooty creeks when it’s damp outside,” doesn’t count!

3. RecipeGirl
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

How great- these look delicious! That crust was yummy so I can only imagine with this filling 🙂

I was driving carpool last year when one of the kids in the car started talking about how there was no such thing as Jesus. He then went on to talk about how there was no such thing as Santa or the Easter bunny either. YES, he lumped Jesus into the fictional holiday character category! This upset the other kids in the car and an interesting conversation/argument ensued. Kids are so funny.

Posted October 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

Typist- Love the name “Gone in 60 Seconds” of course that would be any dessert in my house!

Rob- Hootycreeks do you think you are making us say Hootycreeks? Hootycreeks!!

Recipe Girl- Kids are very funny. When my son figured out that Santa was not real we caught him sneaking a sign “No Santa” into has backpack to warn all the other children that they are being lied to. He was only 5. We had to explain to him never to tell anyone. Turkey!

5. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

I LOVE them Robin! Those are my kind of treat! Can’t you just call them delicious? Or White chocolates goes healthy tarts. Better? Lol..

Posted October 22, 2008 at 8:42 PM | Permalink

Clumbsy Cookie- Sure! I think we can get away with calling these healthy since there is fruit and nuts in them. Bravo!!

7. Sunday Baker
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM | Permalink

Oh my, those look heavenly!!!

8. That Girl
    Posted October 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM | Permalink

I tried to think of a better name, but all that came out of my mouth was “drool”

9. noble pig
    Posted October 23, 2008 at 1:30 AM | Permalink

They are so cute! I love the crust.

Posted October 23, 2008 at 7:10 AM | Permalink

Sunday Baker- Thanks for the inspiration!

ThatGirl-Great Name. It will sound like a band, “and now on that dessert table- The Drools!” Love it!

noble pig- Thanks they are very yummy!

11. Grace
    Posted October 23, 2008 at 8:00 AM | Permalink

what a great idea, and i’m 100% sure they’re absolutely scrumptious. the combination makes one of my favorite types of cookies, and this just makes it more fun! 🙂

12. Kevin
    Posted October 23, 2008 at 8:11 PM | Permalink

Those look really good! I like the oatmeal, cranberry and white chocolate combo!

Posted October 23, 2008 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Grace and Kevin- Thanks it is a fantastic combo that is why it is a favorite of so many!

14. Shaheen (Coco)
    Posted October 24, 2008 at 2:43 AM | Permalink

White chocolate and cranberries? One of my favourite pairings. Looks so, so delicious. I’m bookmarking this!

Posted October 24, 2008 at 7:13 AM | Permalink

Shaheen- Thanks for stopping by, you will really like these cookies!

16. nicisme
    Posted October 24, 2008 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

OMG – yes please!

Posted October 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM | Permalink

Nic- Hi! Have as many as you want!

18. bakingblonde
    Posted November 23, 2008 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

I made these (an adapted recipe) in my mini muffin tin! Super cute and sooooooo yummy!
    Thanks!!

19. ink & cookies
    Posted February 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM | Permalink

haven’t made these but they look yummy and im not even a fan of faux chocolate =)

still they look amazing you should call them heavenly trail mix tarts

20. Shannon
    Posted July 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM | Permalink

Oaty-CranLICIOUS!

21. Hélène
    Posted January 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM | Permalink

Along these lines of “…you’re still a Jew”
    My 3 children were discussing their ancestry since one had a different father. My youngest was probably 7 or 8 and was mostly just listening trying to get a handle on what they were talking about. Finally she turned to her sister and very seriously said, “Oh (Susie), so you’re half Irish-half human.”
    The 2 older kids and I just burst out laughing!!! She has never lived it down. I still tell ppl — well you know (Susie) IS only half human :0

• Robin Sue
      Posted January 22, 2015 at 7:28 PM | Permalink

Too funny!! Kids say the best things!