Simple Butternut Squash Soup

I know, I know. We are all doing it right now. Yup- it! You know, putting up all our pretty Butternut Squash recipes. I had to join in the fun too! Fall is in the air and it is time to start making my favorite soups. I think at the top of my list is Butternut Squash Soup. It is pure comfort food and you just can’t beat the beautiful color. I have adapted this recipe from a bunch of different ones I have come across over the years. I think the last one being from Rindy, over at Kitchen Klique for one of our Supper Clubs years ago. Did you know that during the colder months I enjoy a hot bowl of soup for breakfast? No, how would you know that. But I do. I think it is healthy, filling and one of the only breakfasts that keeps me from dumping my blood sugar by 10:00 AM. Am I the only one who eats soup for breakfast? Try it out for yourself.

Butternut Squash Soup
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 T. olive oil
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. mace
1/4 t. ginger
1 t. salt
few dashes of freshly ground black pepper
20 ounces fresh butternut squash flesh, I use Trader Joe’s
1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
1 T. Butter

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat olive oil then add onions, brown sugar, mace, and ginger. Cook until onions are browned and soft. Add squash, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add more salt if necessary. Stir in butter and serve in bowls topped with a garnish of sage leaves and parmesan cheese. Serves 4-6 depending on if it is a main dish or first course.

What is your favorite kind of soup?

1. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM | Permalink

Simple maybe but beautiful. Great photo.

2. Rob
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 8:36 AM | Permalink

Favorite soup– chowdah. Followed by basil tomato bisque, black bean, and simple tomato soup accompanied by a simple grilled cheese sandwich– mmmm, comfort.

Butohmygoshnotforbreakfast. Pizza, yes.

3. RecipeGirl
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

This looks incredibly smooth and delicious! Butternut Sq. Soup is definitely a fave this time of year!

Posted October 20, 2008 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

Rob- I liked that Smoked Crab Tomato Bisque you made- to die for!! Remember?

5. OhioMom
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

Yummy! Butternut is a fav of mine too, a hot cup in the morning instead of coffee just before a walk.

6. Rob
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM | Permalink

Yes! I stumbled across that recipe the other day while doing some rearranging– yes, you can smoke tomotoes (plumb tomotoes, btw) before using them to make soup. slice in half (from top to bottom), scoop out seeds, layer in smoker, smoke for I-forget-how-long-but-not-longer-than-a-couple-of-hours. Then use as whatever recipe directs. You’d think it would be too barbecuey/smokey– but the smoke flavor is subtle. And gooooood.

7. Clumbsy Cookie
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

And what a way to join the squash fun! Looks so creamy and that yellow color is just so apealling!
    My favourite soups are creamy one, but I also love a good chicken soup with pasta and a red beans one!

8. Tanya
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM | Permalink

I love butternut squash soup! I also love corn chowder, tomato soup, black bean soup, and many others. At work the chef used to make a “smoked turkey with wild rice” soup that was amazing!

9. noble pig
    Posted October 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM | Permalink

This is one of my favorite soups, thanks for putting me in the mood.

10. That Girl
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 12:58 AM | Permalink

I love butternut squash soup. I need to pick up a squash so I can make some this week!

11. Grace
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 5:56 AM | Permalink

excellent butternut squash usage–it’s so pure and lovely. i’m sure i’d be tempted to lick the bowl clean.
    my favorite soup? black bean. in a bread bowl. yum. 🙂

12. Anonymous
    Posted October 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

Sis, remember Cassie’s Maggi veggie soup we would have on cold days in Germany? Yummy! Yours looks great too!

Posted October 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM | Permalink

Foodalogue-Thanks for stopping in and for the compliment too!

Recipe Girl and Ohio Mom- Seems like butternut is favorite for most! A cup in morning is great!

Clumbsy cookie and Tanya- Wow bean soups are a close second. Do either of you have a good black bean soup recipe?

noble pig- I am so glad my post put you in the mood!

ThatGirl- Make some real soon!

Grace- There is the black bean agian. Must make some now for sure! Recipe?

Anon-I remember that whole bottle of maggi going in the pot!!

14. Calypso
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Thanks for this easy recipe! I roasted a sugar pumpkin and served an adaptation of this soup for lunch today. Yum! http://theretohereandwhat.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-after-squash-soup.html

15. Anonymous
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM | Permalink

Growing up, my mother always insisted we have a hot breakfast, but not being a breakfast-food person, I preferred to started the day with a bowl of soup. We were both happy when I boarded the bus. My favorite now: Ham-potato-tomatoe soup.

16. Gerhild
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

Oh, this soup sounds delicious! Although it seems to be more for winter, I think it'll be great this week as well, even though it's spring! Yummy, looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing 🙂

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Reading: Simple Butternut Squash Soup | Big Red Kitchen – a regular … This entry is filed under […]

2. […] link: Simple Butternut Squash Soup | Big Red Kitchen – a regular … This entry is filed under […]