Teriyaki Turkey Sliders

Last week while watching the championship baseball series between the Red Sox and what’s their faces I saw a Ruby Tuesdays’ commercial promoting their new triple slider platter. It was a tidy rectangle platter sporting three mini-burgers or sliders; one turkey, one beef, and one crab cake “burger.” Right at that moment a light bulb went on over my head. “Why hadn’t I thought of this before?” The whole mini burger concept has been around for some time but a trio- that’s cool! It knew it would take me some time to concoct my favorite trio so I got to it right away.

I had a craving for some teriyaki and thought that would be a good place to start the creation of my trio. I had some really nice ground turkey breast in the refrigerator from Trader Joe’s and with the addition of a few other things we had the best Teriyaki Turkey Sliders ever. I had a house full of kids, therefore I decided to serve the sliders on a bed of Goldfish Crackers along side some grapes and carrot sticks with dippy. Only two more to create for my own trio. Maybe a Greek slider next. Or a Brat Burger. I’ll get right on it!

Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
3 slices bread, crumbled
2 T. dried chopped onions
2 eggs
1 1/2 T. sugar
3 T. soy sauce
1 glove garlic, minced
1 t. ground ginger

Process the above ingredients in a food processor until blended. Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat. You will find the meat mixture sticky and gooey so I used two spoons to work a ball of meat onto the griddle then flattened with a greased spatula. Make 16 small balls in all and grill on both sides for about 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Each patty should be about 2 1/2 inches across. Serve on mini egg dough buns or mini potato rolls. Serve with favorite condiments. Makes 16 sliders.

EVERYTHING LOOKS BETTER IN CELLOPHANE WRAPPERS! OR NOT.

Above are the cupcakes I donated to my school’s bake sale last week. These Candy Corn Cupcakes were submitted to Tastespotting last week by I Heart Cuppycakes. I have to say that mine did not turn out as lovely as hers but I think once wrapped in cellophane bags they turned out just fine! So if cellophane can make my cupcakes look better just think what it could do for my thighs.

Which brings me to a story. When I was a teen, I had heard that models rub their thighs with BenGay then wrap them in plastic wrap before jogging. I gave it a go and after a mile my legs were on fire and I was left gasping under a noxious BenGay fume cloud. I suddenly realized the ridiculousness of how I looked when I heard the guffaws of a popular boy from school as he rode passed me on his Moped. I was doomed.

Which brings me to another plastic wrap story. I have this crazy, funny auntie who pulled off her own version of Evelyn Couch in Fried Green Tomatoes. That’s right folks, she wrapped her naked self in plastic wrap, put on a big Dolly Parton wig and a ton of make-up, donned a trench coat and snuck out the back door then rang the front door bell. My poor, poor unsuspecting uncle, answered the door to this crazy flasher yelling, “Surprise!” as he fainted dead away. They had the best love life. Sigh.

For more great sandwiches:
Favorite Fish Patties
My Big Fat Italian Sandwich
Turkey and Cheese Paninis

Tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen- Bake Sale ARR (that’s Army talk for After Action Report). The cutest little Bat Cupcakes, Cuppie Cakes, and Harvest Blessing Cups, oh and one more fantastic idea, but you’ll have to wait- don’t miss this episode of BRK!

Question of the moment! I was going to ask this:

If you could create your own Mini Burger Trio, what would it be?

But I’m thinking this one would be fun too:

Do you have a plastic wrap story? G- Rated!

1. j*amy
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 8:47 AM | Permalink

mmm those sliders look yummy even before 9am!

2. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM | Permalink

This was a funny post. I, too, remember the propaganda about wrapping yourself in plastic to look thin. Only problem was it didn’t take long to plump up again once you were unwrapped!

I love the little sliders. Doesn’t make you feel so guilty for eating more than one.

My trio would be beef, pork, turkey.

3. Joie de vivre
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM | Permalink

You are so funny. How that story about your uncle became a story to share with the family, I’ll never know, but I am laughing and laughing thinking of your uncle. The BenGay story was also priceless. Perhaps after eating a couple sliders, I might be willing to try the BenGay thing myself. I love your presentation too. Last night I made sloppy joes for my little ones thinking it would be a hit. After 1 coerced bite, they both declared they were good but they didn’t want any more. Perhaps if I had served them on goldfish it would have changed the visual appeal.

4. Larissa
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM | Permalink

The layer of goldfish crackers made me laugh out loud. Very whimsical addition to the meal!

5. Candy
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM | Permalink

I love your auntie! The sliders look great as well.

6. Veronica
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 9:37 PM | Permalink

I love the goldfish crackers around the sliders-nice touch. What a funny aunt!! I wish I had the nerve-maybe I’ll start with foil.

7. [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

Ooh, the sliders are so cute! Cute, delicious things, come to me. . .

8. That Girl
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 10:40 PM | Permalink

I love sliders. Mostly because anything miniaturized is also tastier.

9. Lisa
    Posted October 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM | Permalink

You’re auntie’s story is hilarious! Great burgers. I ran track all through high school and remeber the smell of Ben Gay well.

Posted October 28, 2008 at 11:21 PM | Permalink

j*amy- Yep these would make a great breakfast!

Foodalogue- Thanks! These are fun little sandwiches and I don’t think one would have to were plastic after eating one!

Joie- You don’t know my family- we all do very funny things!! I don’t know which side is worse my Italian side or my Texan side, both are loud, exagerating and funny but with a different accent 🙂

Larissa- I think any thing on a bed of Goldfish is great. You will get used to these little crackers soon with a little one on the way!!

Candy- Thanks for stopping in. I love my auntie too, she is the best!

Veronica- Ooh foil sound so scratchy! Maybe red saran wrap for the Holidays!

JS- Yup make some soon!

That Girl- I like little foods. I wish I didn’t eat ten of all little things though!

Lisa- Oh track, yup I ran it too for Eastern High School in NJ. I ran the Javelin though, it was the shortest distance running I could do;-)

11. Amy
    Posted October 29, 2008 at 12:18 AM | Permalink

Those sliders look delicious! I will have to give your recipe a try. I think it would be good on a hawaiian sweet roll too.

12. Grace
    Posted October 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM | Permalink

i think you should do a mexican-inspired burger. a little chile powder, a little cumin, some oregano, perhaps some diced jalapenos. topped with pepper jack cheese, of course. my trio would be mexican, mexican, and mexican (although greek sounds all right too). 🙂

13. EAT!
    Posted October 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM | Permalink

Yea a new slider to try! I have made mini veggie burgers and mini Big Macs. But I like all mini burgers. I feel a slider Party in our future.

14. grahamstravelblog
    Posted October 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM | Permalink

I’ve been thinking about this and I think I’ve narrowed down my three.

1. Lamb
    2. A very small steak
    3. Goat

I’d eat the lamb one last.

15. Laura
    Posted October 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

It’s been a while since I laughed this hard reading a food blog. And I agree about baked goods in cellophane.

16. bigredkitchen
    Posted October 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

Amy- Thanks for stopping in. They would be great on hawaian sweet rolls.

Grace- Ooh a mexican burger would be hot hot hot. Will try.

Eat! – sliders are a fun way to have more than just one!!

Graham- one and two yes! Goat, you can have the goat. I’ll stick with chicken, pork, and beef or lamb!

Laura- Thanks glad you got a laugh, my family makes me laugh a lot!

17. Sophie
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 9:57 AM | Permalink

Those teriyaki sliders look so cute and delicious :), as do the candy corn cupcakes! What a fun idea! 🙂

18. Posted April 2, 2015 at 2:04 AM | Permalink

Those teriyaki sliders would really serve as good appetizers. It will really condition our appetite. And baked goods really look good in cellophane.