Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

We had a birthday at our house this past weekend. Zuzu turned 9! I can’t believe how fast the time is going. Well this little guy requested Banana Cupcakes for his birthday and when he asks for them he gets ’em. So 40 cupcakes later, Zuzu was ready to take some to school and some to his last baseball game that occurred on his big day.

Zuzu likes his cupcakes inside out, meaning the frosting on the inside to insure even distribution of the frosting to cake ratio, or so he says. It is simple enough to do by inserting the tip of the pastry bag into the center of the cupcake and squeezing frosting inside.

TAKE ONE
For the 40 cupcakes I thought to use a different frosting, something new to top these golden beauties. I have been enamored with Browned Butter of late and wanted to somehow incorporate that flavor into the frosting. So the first batch of frosting used with these cupcakes was a Browned Butter Cream Frosting. The problem was I got a little too experimental. You know what I mean, adding a goofy ingredient just to be different. It failed. Don’t get me wrong the taste was wonderful but the frosting was crunchy. Crunchy? Yes crunchy. You see I wanted to get more of a caramel flavor in there by adding 1/2 cup of brown sugar (duh, I know). But I did process it to a fine powder but it remained crunchy. I also found this to be too sweet.

TAKE TWO
Being the Cream Cheese Frosting lover that I am, I had another go at the browned butter theme, causing me to bake another cake, so sad. This time I hit the nail on the head. I used my regular butter cream recipe only this time I browned half the butter and added a package of cream cheese. Perfect for this kind of cake. Not too sweet and not to toffee-ish Just right. Look at those browned butter bits.

Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter divided
8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1 t. vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1-3 T. milk, optional

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, heat 1/4 cup butter until browned. Cube up the other half of butter and place in a small bowl, pour browned butter over top and mix until all the butter is melted. In a large bowl beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until creamy. Add 1-3 T. cold milk if needed to thin to a spreading consistency. Frost any cake with this frosting. Chill until ready to serve. Makes about 4 cups frosting.

Here’s my little pitcher in action. He pitched one inning and struck two guys out! OK I’ll stop gloating.

Tomorrow in BRK– I have no idea. I have too many posts to choose from. We can all be surprised together. Ooh I like surprises. So still come on back, there will be something good for sure.

1. schvin
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

that sounds delicious! yes, i am also 9 years old.

2. Tanya
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Sounds absolutely delicious! The cupcakes look divine. I love browned butter flavor. This looks like an amazing frosting! I’m going to have to jot this down. I have a ton of bananas getting overripe and this would be perfect!

3. noble pig
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Oh that frosting is just unreal, what are you doing to me…I must have it.

4. Karen
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 6:27 PM | Permalink

I have a pineapple cake recipe that would be SO good with this frosting!

5. Veronica
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

Can I lick the beaters? i love that you piped the frosting into the cupcakes. Looks delicious!

6. Kevin
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

Browned butter cream sounds good. That frosted cupcake look really good as well.

7. That Girl
    Posted November 5, 2008 at 12:53 AM | Permalink

I’m definitely going to have to try that frosting. It sounds like the best of both worlds

8. Grace
    Posted November 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM | Permalink

ah, little league baseball. good times. 🙂
    great frosting, by the way. cream cheese + anything = heaven.

9. HoneyB
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

I came in here looking for your browned butter recipes. Looks like I found one! That frosting looks amazing!

10. j*amy
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

um, yum. i think this is the frosting i need to use for the pumpkin cupcakes. what about adding some cinnamon? how much do you think would be good?
    🙂

Posted November 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

j*amy- start with 1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon and add more from there if it needs more. Yup this would be great with the pumpkin cake!!

12. Ingrid
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

Yum! I love frosting and this one sounds like a winner. I like J*amy’s idea to add cinnamon, too!
    ~ingrid

Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM | Permalink

Ingrid- This frosting is delish!

14. Ingrid
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue I just made this and had one of my taste testers try it. Here's what he had to say and I quote, "Mmmmm.", "MMmmmm.", "MMMmmmm!" 🙂

I did use heavy cream instead of milk and I'm spliting it into two batches to add some cinnamon like J*amy suggested.

Thanks for sharing! Oh, yes, the frosting distracted me. I also made your two ingredient pumpkin cake. My batter was very thick and reminded me of muffin batter. It's cooling right now waiting to be topped by your yummy frosting. I'll let you know how it all came together. Thanks, again!
    ~ingrid

15. amy grace
    Posted November 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM | Permalink

needed to visit again to get the recipe. two years ago my pumpkin cuppies with this frosting turned out amazing. tomorrow i'm bringing spice cupcakes, going to use this frosting again! can't wait!

16. Donna
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM | Permalink

I just made this for my annual Easter carrot cake. The family LOVES it! Thank you for sharing. and happy Easter 🙂

17. wendyb964
    Posted May 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM | Permalink

Thank you for extolling the goodness of browned butter! I make a similar frosting over a pumpkin cake with homemade praline pecans. It was one of the most elegant and sinful cakes ever. Gave one 6″ 2-layer cake to friends on New Year’s Eve and kept one for ourselves. Whoops, our cake is still frozen in the freezer, I ate the frosting on bagels or ice cream, and hubby ate the pecans by themselves. I discove
    red browned butter in medical school at a wonderful restaurant called Petrinos: scampi with garlic in brown butter sauce. Remember those days even 30+ years later. Re-discovered it last year. Tis great and very potent. We use much less when drizzled over veg with toasted nuts though we most often eat veg plain. I’ve browned a pound, refrigerated it, and used it slowly including the brown bits. Yum. Off to make frosting for those cakes. Perhaps by Father’s Day.

18. Brittany
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

This frosting was delicious! However, mine turned out a little runny. I didn’t even add milk. Was I supposed to let the butter cool a bit before beating it with the cream cheese and everything else? Do you think that would help? The flavor was delicious but the consistency almost not spreadable. I ended up dipping my pumpkin cupcakes into the bowl instead of actually trying to spread it on.

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Yes let the butter cool a bit before adding.

19. Rachel
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

I found this on Pinterest a while ago and have been waiting for an occasion to make it! How I wish I’d waited longer! It was so easy and is so delicious, I could literally eat the whole batch with a spoon!! Thank you for your contribution to humanity! My pants will not thank you, but the rest of me heartily does!!

20. Tiffany
    Posted March 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM | Permalink

I loved this frosting. I made it today.

21. Sandy
    Posted September 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

I love adding *orgainc vanilla bean powder* to the pot before the butter is melted & browned(vanilla beans-waay too messy for me!). The aroma is to die for! So u have the brown bits of butter & those beautiful specs of vanilla beans.
    Today i was distracted & forgot to brown & bean my frosting. Instead i added brown sugar, 1T of Cinnamon & 2T of heavy whipping cream. I alternated the power sugar & whipping cream. With the 8 oz of butter & 2 bricks of cream chesse i do have a very slight coating on the roof of my mouth. But after it sat in fridge for about an hour –the coating doesn’t happen anymore. ❤️