Christmas Peanut Butter Candies

Back in my Thoracic Medicine days as a Pulmonary Nurse Specialist I had the opportunity to work with many clients, mostly elderly. I loved them. I miss them. Many are gone now but some of their recipes remain, to this day, in my recipe box here at home. During that time we were living in NC near Fort Bragg and while Himself was jumping out of planes and playing Army, I was having the time of my life with my patients. I got to know these people very well, we became friends. Foodie Friends.

The patients loved to bring in treats to share with the other clients and staff members. Not only did the ladies bring their favorite recipes and goodies to share but the gentlemen did as well, bringing something delicious from their wives. One patient, I will have to call her Sugar for privacy reasons, used to bring the tastiest little morsels for us to devour. One day she brought these Peanut Butter Candies and right away I had to have the recipe as Himself is a huge fan of peanut butter. One. Two. Three. She spouted off the ingredients and method just like that. It sounded too easy. And it was.

These creamy, soft, and pillowy candies are super sweet and delicious. Perfect for any peanut butter fan. I have brought these to potlucks with great success and have made them for last minute company. These are a candy you do not see too often, I never see it, so it is great for Christmas Cookie Platters for your dessert table. But have the recipe ready to share!

Peanut Butter Candies
one pound box Confectioners sugar
6 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
7 t. milk, I used whole
peanut butter for spreading, I used TJ’s Organic Crunchy PB

Using a stand mixer or very strong hand mixer, mix sugar and butter until blended. Add milk one teaspoon at a time until the mixture pulls from the edge and almost makes a ball. I used 7 t. milk. Too dry and your dough will crack, too wet, it will be sticky. Roll into a ball then roll out into a 9 inch by 14 inch rectangle, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. It is easier to roll between two sheets of plastic wrap on top of the bottom side of a jelly-roll pan.

Using a sharp knife cut a slit down the center of the dough longways. Spread each side with a thin layer of peanut butter, not to edges. Chill for 15 minutes to help it set a bit.

With the assistance of the plastic wrap, roll the dough into logs starting with the long edges, then seal the seams by lightly pinching and smoothing them. It is a bit tricky and the dough will crack, the peanut butter will ooze and the edges may not seal, but take a deep breath it will all be OK. It is supposed to look a bit rustic!

Using a sharp knife, gently cut the rolls into 1/2 inch pieces. you will get about 24-30 pieces. Place in paper candy papers on a candy dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap (they can dry out quickly) until ready to serve or store, wrapped well, in freezer up to 3 months.

Tomorrow in BRK- How I handle leftover Halloween Candy. It will either make you laugh or make you sick. Stop on in!

1. Melissa
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

Those look yummy!

• ricky mendenhall
      Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM | Permalink

maken them right now, so far so good, in the fridge now, dreden the next step

• ricky mendenhall
      Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:55 AM | Permalink

7 t of milk seems to be the right amount

• Posted February 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Don’t waste your time and ingedients making these. I have been cooking for 40+ years and cannot get these to turn out. I always check to see if they will roll up before I put the peanut butter on. Never turns out!

• linda
      Posted November 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

l have been looking for this recipe for years. The only other thing I found close to it was the potato candy one and it never ever turned out right. Now Im in the middle of making this and its just a bowl of frosting. Followed the exact measurements but cant get it to thicken. If I keep adding powdered sugar its going to take a lot more than 1lb

• barbara A
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

I have made potato candy for years, my mom always made it, so I learned from her. She made it before eletric mixers! and use a fork to mix…really difficult! it’s just a medium cooked potato, add powered sugar, use mixer, till it makes a ball stiff enough to roll out about 1/4 inch thick, spread with peanut butter, roll up, slice. thats it! no butter no milk needed. freezes well.\or eat as you slice it. lol

• Sheila C.
      Posted December 15, 2015 at 8:25 PM | Permalink

Barbara A. Is correct!! My dad made this candy every year on Christmas, it was tradition!! I sat in the kitchen and watched him. He boiled and peeled a small to med. potato, added powdered sugar until a stiff dough forms… Roll it out, spread your peanut butter, roll into a log, and slice it!! No need for those extra ingredients.
      It does get hard fast, so it’s not something to work real slow with. Lol.
      When I would take some to work, and tell people it had potato in it, no one believed me!!

• Cae McCreary
      Posted February 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

i grew up Pa dutch. these candies wee a childhood reat. we also had them made into suckers but the candies were flattened when on a sick. we were lucky to have our own chocolatier/candy maker in my small town. thanks fr the memories

• Winnie
      Posted February 19, 2016 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

My Dad made these every Christmas. Good memories

• Teddie
      Posted December 9, 2016 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

I have never heard of the use of butter and milk. Here in the mountains of Kentucky, we use 1/2 cup of potatoes, that has been boiled, peeled, and cooled.

2. Lisa
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

These look great and I have never seen them before.

• ricky mendenhall
      Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

DONE!! that wasn’t hard at all just take youre time rollen them up, there awesome!

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

Thanks Ricky, so happy you liked the candies!!

3. Chocolate Shavings
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

What a great way to remember those patients who were dear to you. Those look absolutely delicious.

4. Stargazer
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM | Permalink

Found these on Tastespotting, looks like a great gift to make for my husband for Christmas. He REALLY likes peanut butter, without the competition with chocolate. These should be great.

5. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Not for my taste but they look so pretty (good photography!) — and I’m sure the little ones will love them.

6. Katy
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

really cool! it’s almost like peanut butter and a really stiff buttercream frosting — sounds amazing!

7. Dawn's Recipes / The Baby Blog
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

I saw something similar made by a woman I used to work for. Instead of mixing powdered sugar into butter, she mixed it into leftover mashed potatoes. It might have been tasty, but I couldn’t bring myself to try one. It just sounded wrong…haha! Your recipe sounds MUCH more appealing! I’ll have to give these babies a try!

• Angela
      Posted October 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM | Permalink

We always called this potato candy. I’m 40 and my Mom and Granny have made these as long as I can remember. Mom always boiled a small potato and mashed with just a touch of butter, then added confectioner’s sugar until stiff enough. The potato is actually more of a binder than anything. You never taste it. I also add a shake of salt b/c it cuts down on the sweetness of the sugar part of the recipe. These are so easy to make and they do NOT last at my house, nor anywhere we take them. Give them a try!!! YUM Think I’ll make some tomorrow. My mouth is watering! Mmmm. 🙂

• Dawn Short
      Posted November 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

Yes! I’m from the south and my grandmother used mashed potato too! You don’t tase it at all. These are so good, and remind me of home!

• Lori
      Posted November 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM | Permalink

Our family “Irish Potato Candy” recipe, calls for “a potato the size of your fist, boiled with its jacket on and butter the size of a walnut…” My mother always made it at Christmas. I’ve started making it for St. Patrick’s Day. People who try it, love it. People who freak out because of the potato, don’t know what they’re missing!

• Denise
      Posted November 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

I am also I’my 40’s and my mom made the same thing with
      Boiled potatoes. Delicious and so easy to make. Miss her
      Making this now.

• Lynn
      Posted November 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM | Permalink

My mother used to make these cookies using a couple of boiled potatoes instead of butter…forgot about these yummy treats that we made at Christmas time. Thanks for bringing this up!

• Sonia Darby
      Posted December 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

My mom used to make these potato candies also! Christmas dinner is being held at my house this year and I will be making these delicious morsels of yummy! I can’t wait to see my family’s face when they see these!

• Leisa Rigby
      Posted December 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM | Permalink

My mum used to make this candy at Christmas. It is actually called Irish Potato Candy. AND Yes! it is made with a potato. Not only does it give it substance for the rolling process but it adds a nutritional value. Think about the potato farms in Ireland and how they came up with so many recipes calling for potatoes. Then think about the potato famine in Ireland; that is how so many of them arrived in America. They needed to escape starvation and death. I love this candy…it reminds me of my mum who is no longer with us. That is why I opened up the pin. Thanks for sharing.

• Elois Taylor
      Posted June 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM | Permalink

My sister makes these with potatoes. They are delicious.

• carolyn farvour
      Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

You still use the powdered sugar and add
      mashed potatoes about the size of an egg They are delicious.

8. Fearless Kitchen
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM | Permalink

This looks absolutely wonderful, and the story behind it is very nice too. I’d love to make this sometime soon.

9. Liesl
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

I am so going to make these!! I love peanut butter and these look delicious!!! Thanks for the post!

10. grahamstravelblog
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

Those almost look like a really soft version of an Abba-Zabba, which is one of my favorite candies. Since I’m gearing up for holiday candy season I’ll probably give this one a shot.

11. noble pig
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

MMMmmmmmmm, those sound and look delish! Thanks for another great one.

12. Marysol
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM | Permalink

Looks absolutely delicious!

13. Theresa
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM | Permalink

What a cookie and story!! I never seen these before.

14. T.J.'s Mommy
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

Oh, these look sooo yummy! Sometimes the recipes that are the simplest taste the best! 🙂

15. That Girl
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

This is a really interesting recipe!

16. Karen
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

Couldn’t be any simpler! The recipe reminded me of one we used to make when we were kids. Powdered sugar and mashed potatoes… put some peppermint extract and red food coloring… voila: Mints! They were so good!

17. Rachel
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM | Permalink

Found these via tastespotting…

They sound absolutely wonderful. My version of “Himself” just retired after 20+ of jumping from perfectly good airplanes at Bragg…well, in between deployments, lol.

Great sounding recipe, and I know my children will love them…thanks!

18. Nicole
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

How fun. You made Abba Zabas!!! Have you ever had one? It is a very old fashioned candy and I know not all candies from here are available out there. http://www.annabelle-candy.com/abba-zabba/

Yours looks good!

19. Amanda
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

My grandmother used to make this. She also added 1/4 tsp. of vanilla to the dough.

20. Amberleigh
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM | Permalink

O my word! You make the most incredible things. I am dyining looking at these.

Posted November 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

Melissa- Thanks I will have to make some for school sometime!

Lisa- Thanks apparently they are like an abba zabba which I have never had!

Chocolate Shavings- Yes my patients were very special! Thanks for stopping by!

Stargazer- No chocolate in site so he should like these! Thanks for the comment!

Foodalogue- We all can’t love everyting! Thanks for the comment about my pictures!

Katy- It is just that, a very thick buttercream! Thanks for stopping by!

Dawn’s Recipes- Yes these are just like potato candies minus the potatoes! Thanks for the visit!

Liesl- Thanks for the comment. If you make these let me know how they turn out!

Graham- That’s right you are a candy guy. Well I hope you make these and like them!!

Noble Pig- Do make them!

Marysol- Thanks for the visit and comment!

Theresa- Thanks, they are a good treat!

tj’s mommy- Yup I like simple things. Thanks for stopping in!

That Girl- They taste great too!

KAren- I have heard of potato candies but never made them before. Thanks for the comment!

Rachel- Thanks for stopping by! Wow 20 + years. Thank you!!! Hope you like the candies!

Nicole- Thanks for the link, I have never had an Abba Zabba. I’m sure my hubby has, he is the candyman. I will take a look. Now you have the recipe for the home made version!

Amanda- I bet the vanilla makes it nice! I will have to try that next time!

Amberliegh- I’ll bring some to school sometime!

22. Grace
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

i thought i had seen every christmas candy known to man, but this is completely new to me! i can’t believe i’ve gone all this time without eating massive amounts of these–they’re fabulous!

23. Anonymous
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

My mother used to make these…except she used a mashed up potato in it. It was called potato candy. Really good…but really sweet. -Angela 🙂

• Diane
      Posted November 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM | Permalink

Memories Memories…My cousin (Darla) and Grandma always made these and then I helped eat them! We added the mash potatoes also…and you never tasted it but it helped hold it all together 🙂

• Cathy
      Posted October 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM | Permalink

Irish Peanut Potato candy. This has been a family favorite for over 75 years. That I can remember that is. Peel a medium potato. Cook till tinder, Mash with a fork. cool. then add powder sugar. Continue till stiff to roll like pie shells (about the size of nice bite size candy) Roll Long and narrow Spread with peanut butter ( chunky, creamy) Roll up like Jelly Roll and slice. Yummy Let set for a few hours to set up Then place in containers between wax paper. Rolling them long and slim keep the pieces from getting to be. You the have to slice the slice smaller. not the same Jelly roll look. Enjoy!

24. Sophie
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM | Permalink

These look so fun, they remind me of little snowball rolls, except with peanut butter :).

25. Meg
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

These look so delicious and SO fun to make!