Cranberry Salsa Black Bean Dip

Looking beyond Thanksgiving I see a long weekend of football, from pro to college ball, this is a time when I need to have at the ready some football food. You know what I am talking about, don’t you? Nachos, popcorn, dip, dip, and more dip. Sure there are plenty of Thanksgiving leftovers but one must have the football food. My friend Rindy at Kitchen Klique makes a great layered bean dip that uses raspberry jelly but I wanted to change it up a bit to fit in with the Thanksgiving theme and substituted cranberry sauce for the raspberry jelly. I used Trader Joe’s Cranberry Orange Sauce from their fresh food case. It is delicious, that is if you are a citrus person. Their version of cranberry sauce is refreshing and really pops with every bite of turkey and stuffing. Give it a go.

First off let me tell you how I like to “make” salsa when I don’t have time to make salsa. I like fresh salsa but it doesn’t stick together so it can be difficult to scoop up. I like TJ’s Fire Roasted jarred salsa, so I combine the two to get the best of both worlds. I get the freshness of the fresh made salsa with the thickness of the jarred version for perfect and delicious salsa every time. Be sure to drain the fresh salsa well before mixing with the jarred salsa.

Here is how to make this layered dip. Spread a brick of cream cheese in the bottom of a greased baking dish.

Top with one can of drained and rinsed black beans.

Top the beans with 1 cup salsa mixed with 1/4 cup cranberry sauce or cranberry relish as I have seen it sometimes labeled when it is fresh and not canned. Top the salsa with one cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese. Bake in 350° oven for 20 minutes or until mixture is melted and bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips. Serves 6. All the photos are of an individual serving I made for myself for lunch one day last week. It was a great lunch that day!

They’re back! Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe Joe’s! These are our favorite cookies this time of year. We like them plain or dunked into hot chocolate.

How do you eat your Joe Joe’s?

Tomorrow in BRK: The best Taco Soup, perfect for post Thanksgiving-I-don’t-want-to-cook-another-blessed-thing!

1. Rindy R
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 8:33 AM | Permalink

Oh my word – I totally forgot about that dip. I do love it and I think I will be making it soon – thanks to you!

2. Lisa
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM | Permalink

I would never think cranberry sauce would go with salsa and cream cheese but I bet it’s good. I went on a TJ shopping spree and have some mint O’s too. Did you see their new sipping chocolate?

3. Sara
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

I LOVE Joe-Joes, especially the holiday ones. Your dip sounds very festive!

4. biz319
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Oh, I bet the sweet/hot combo is great! Thanks for this recipe!

5. Karen
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

No Joe-Joe’s for me… TJ’s isn’t anywhere around where I live 🙁 This dip is so simple and looks so good!

6. That Girl
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM | Permalink

chips and salsa is one of my favorite snacks!!

7. Christine
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

Oh, yummy dip recipe!

We looove Joe Joes too! I ate an embarrassing amount of them last Christmas-time (was 5 months prego with my dd)

I like to make Peppermint Cheesecake, and use these as the crust, instead of grahams. Yummy!

8. noble pig
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM | Permalink

Absolutely fabulous and festively delicious!

9. EAT!
    Posted November 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM | Permalink

Oh now I have to make a trip to TJ’s for the Joe Joe’s. I am a little afraid to go the day before Thanksgiving though. I may just have to give it a go.

10. Grace
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 5:44 AM | Permalink

robin sue. good grief. i say this a lot to various bloggers, but this is amazing. sweet and spicy AND beany. i vow to make this immediately.

11. to2sassy
    Posted November 28, 2008 at 3:28 PM | Permalink

I can’t wait to try this one. I LOVE cranberry. I have made and featured both your Jalepeno Popper dip and Buffalo Chicken wing dip on my blog. I have gotten rave reviews for both! You definately have a knack for the “man food”! You must have the best football parties!!