How To Jazz Up Your Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes: Boursin Potatoes

I am utterly speechless when I eat these potatoes, except of course for the mmm-ing I’m doing. These are the best mashed potatoes ever and we love them at our house. This recipe is adapted from my SIL, Tonya’s, Sour Cream Mashed Potato Recipe. The original recipe calls for cream cheese but someone in the family thought the Boursin would be a great addition. Was that you Ma? Anyway this is a super dee duper dressed up mashed potato that is no harder than regular mashed potatoes. In fact you don’t even have to peel the little things. The red skins are so pretty and add such a nice flavor and texture to the dish. After trying these you will never go back to regular. I am giving you the basic recipe but I really enjoy when you all make my recipes and comment back with your own additions of creativity. Give these a go and let me know!

Boursin Mashed Potatoes
2 lb. bag organic little red potatoes, scrubbed
one package Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese
1 T. dried shallots or dried chives
1 t. Kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper, as much as you like
1/2 cup sour cream

In a large pot of salted water, boil potatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and add to the bowl of your stand mixer or in a bowl to use with your hand mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix on medium speed until the potatoes are creamy and smooth. Place in a pretty serving bowl and top with a tablespoon of butter. Serves 1. No, it serves about 5-6. You may want to double this it is that good.

Note- If you have fresh herbs then use those. If you use the shallots fresh then you will have to saute them a bit to soften.

A Constant Source of Entertainment: More ICU Days
One night I was assigned float nurse on our Unit. It is a great job in which you get to do so many different things like; check the code cart, assist other RN’s with procedures, bed baths, get the doctor when some one needs him/her, and assist in all codes. On this night we had a patient that we knew was going to crash, just a gut feeling. I helped the other nurse set up her room for the pending code while our favorite doctor gave many orders. All we could do was wait. We were all pleased that on this night this doctor was on call. He was dedicated, passionate, intense, and good. I checked and restocked the code cart and busied myself while the doctor went to the on-call room for a quick nap, it was going to be a doozie of a night. Before he went to sleep, he told me to get him ASAP when the patient even looked like they were going to code. I assured him I would and off he went. Sure enough the patient didn’t even give a decent enough clue but outright flat-lined. The other nurses immediately ran the code while I ran to get the doctor. I burst in the on-call room and yelled for him to move it. He slipped into his loafers and bolted out of the room while I yelled, “Wait you forgot something!” He yelled back over his shoulder, “I don’t have time!” I shrugged and picked up his pants from the back of the chair and ran to join the code.

Have a wonderful Fall-time weekend, make hot cider, sit by a fire, read a good book.

1. HoneyB
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

These look really awesome! I am going to have to try this!

2. Anonymous
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

Yes, that was me for the Boursin. I fixed these potatoes for a large function at church and Robin, I think it was your idea to use instant mashed potatoes which no one knew that they were, We followed the directions on the box but then added (at least I did) extra butter and the above ingredients in your recipe. While the potatoes were still in the pot, I added the above ingredients so it all melted together. I did not even use a mixer. Ma

3. JEWEL
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

I never thought of adding Boursin. I am going to try adding it to my mashed potatoes. Thanks for posting this recipe.

4. grahamstravelblog
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Well, I’ve never heard of Boursin so I guess I’m going to have to look for that the next time I go to the store. Thanks for yet another delicious looking recipe. Mmm, potatoes.

5. Marysol
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM | Permalink

Robin, I love potatoes in any form, but add Boursin with Herbs to mashed potatoes, and suddenly, it’s a party!
    And your pictures make me want to head into the kitchen and make some, even if it is only 10:30 a.m.

6. Kate
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM | Permalink

Oh, I’m definately making these for Thanksgiving. My mom and sister are visiting me, and we’ve decided we really don’t care about Turkey anymore. We just want side dishes and dessert, so we’ve decided to make all our favorite side dishes, only, and a big cake for dessert. I predict this will be the best meal ever!

7. Ingrid
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Okay, that story was hilarious and your mashed potatoes sound DELISH!

I love the funny stories that are included with your yummy recipes, THX!
    ~ingrid

8. Tanya
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM | Permalink

Mmmm….I love me some mashed potatoes! These look so good!

Your stories are hilarious! Keep ’em coming!

9. bobi
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM | Permalink

Robin thanks for the new twist on mashed potatoes – and I thought I had the best potato recipe by adding cream cheese. Can’t wait to make. Bobi says give the Big Red Kitchen a thumbs up!!

10. Karen
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM | Permalink

Hmmm… now why didn’t I think of this?! Something so simple that I’m sure tastes SO good! I’m keeping this one in mind. The ICU story was great… love those!

11. That Girl
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 8:03 PM | Permalink

I love cheese and potatoes!

12. Wendy
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 10:06 PM | Permalink

Can’t wait to try these over the weekend.

I’m dying to know…..was he wearing boxers or briefs?

13. noble pig
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 3:48 AM | Permalink

Costco currently has a coupon for Boursin right now and I’m going tomorrow. I will try this! Thank you!

Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Honey B- Thanks, I hope you like! Thanks for the Stumble.

Ma-Thanks~

Jewel- Enjoy!

Graham- I hope you like the Boursin once you find it!

Marysol- Yes make some soon!

Kate- I could do without the Turkey too. Unless it is fried!

Ingrid- Thanks! Enjoy!

Tanya- Thanks for always being so encouraging!!

Bobi- I hope you like them with Boursin. I love it. Thanks for the thumbs up!

Karen- Thanks for loving the stories too!

That Girl- Then you will love these!

Wendy- Thanks, I hope you love them. Thong!

noble pig- Ooh a coupon, I have to get me hands on one of those!

15. Grace
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

it’s good to know that some doctors have their priorities straight. 🙂
    i love your taters, and i love your bowl. 🙂

16. Sara
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

These sound great, every once in a while I put cream cheese in my mashed potatoes!

17. Stacie
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

Ok, I have to know how you get red potatoes so creamy?

When I mash red, they always turn to a sticky glue-like texture even if I only add warm ingredients. (I seem to be able to only mash gold and plain old idaho brown?)

Posted November 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

Grace- Yes he was a great Doc. The bowl is from Poland. Thanks!

Sara- Do try the Boursin!

Stacie- Are you over cooking them. I add the other ingreadients while the potatoes are hot and I beat them hard and fast in my KitchenAid. You can make this with the other potatoes, I would peel them though!

19. Dawn
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

Oh goodness isn’t that a bowl big of pure decadence. I love potatoes and cheese. And now you’re adding Boursin to it? Geeeez!!! You evil woman you! LOL

20. biz319
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 2:47 PM | Permalink

Oh, my mouth is watering just looking at those potatoes!

Mashed potatoes are hit or miss with me – I think I’ll have my mom make them!

21. Gina
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

they lok awesome,but where can I find this Bourisin guy?..Help,thanks for sharing

Posted November 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM | Permalink

Dawn – It is evil isn’t it?!

biz319- Hurray for mom!

Gine- Boursin can be found in any cheese section of your favorite grocer. Thanks for stopping by!

23. Sabrina
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM | Permalink

Made these tonight for dinner absolutely wonderful. I didn’t have boursin cheese but found a recipe online for a homemade version and used that. MMMMM so good. Thanks for the recipe

24. Alexa
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Your mashed potatoes sound delicious, rich and perfect. I am taking your advice: sitting by the fire with hot tea and a good book. 🙂

25. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM | Permalink

mashed potatoes is one of my favorite sides. these look great!