Miniaturize Your Casseroles: Corn Pudding

Yes it is that time of year when we bring out our prettiest casserole dishes, favorite casserole recipes, and gorge ourselves with their creamy, buttery, cheesy goodness. Ah the casserole. A guest at every holiday table, sometimes marching in with armies of their calorie laden comrades. They bring with them memories of holidays past, caked on hard to clean 9 x 13’s, and indigestion. As good as they are, they do lack that, hmm how does one put this- sophistication.

I’m not trying to put down one of my favorite food groups, I’m just sayin’. They are great for company but what if you wanted go all fancy schmancy on them. How can one wow a group with one’s favorite family casserole? You know, send it over the top so to speak. Cupcake it. What? Cupcake it. We are in the foodie age of cupcakes, everything individual, everything portioned, everything cute. So why not turn your favorite casseroles in to miniature works of food art?

This corn pudding sets up nicely and could be baked in ramekins or these foil cupcake cups on a tray. This whole idea was my brother’s. He has an aversion to casseroles. Broccoli, Rice and Cheese sends him into seizures. He made fun of it once in front of our Ma causing her to scoop it up with her bare hands and smash it into his shocked little face. He’s worn her mashed potatoes too. But give him his portion in a ramekin and he thinks it very posh (except Broccoli Rice and Cheese.) It is a great idea. I remember eating at a restaurant a few years back and they did just this. I ordered a steak dinner and it came with mashed potatoes, asparagus, and my own little ramekin of corn pudding. I thought it made a smashing presentation.

So when you want to add a little pizazz to your casserole for company, miniaturize it, they can always have two. Or three.

Corn Pudding- Adapted from Alton Brown
1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
3 T. unsalted butter
1 t. fresh thyme, minced
1 t. fresh rosemary, minced

1- 15 ounce can creamed corn
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
1 t. baking powder
1/2 cup self-rising yellow corn meal mix or Jiffy corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 t. Kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups cubed fresh bread

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions and herbs in butter until the onions are translucent. In a large bowl mix onion mixture with all the other ingredients and stir well. Pour into a greased casserole dish or into greased muffin foils, or ramekins. Bake the casserole for about 45 minutes or until golden and set. For the ramekins start with 15 minutes and check for doneness, proceed baking in 2 minute increments until done. Serves 6-8.

Note- If your casserole is one not to “set up” then stick to the ramekins or you will have a mess.

My Ma finally signed up for my newsletter! Have you?

1. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

I love doing things in unexpected ways and have been playing with cupcake forms for a while — the silicone ones are pretty and wash out well. The pudding recipe sounds very good.

2. Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

Wonderful idea Robin Sue. Thank you for sharing it.

(Great photos, btw!)

3. Rob
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

I still prefer using broccoli & rice casseroles for facials instead of eating them. Just the memory of that taste makes me *shudder*. Sorry Ma!

4. Muse in the Kitchen
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 10:49 AM | Permalink

We just had corn pudding for the first time recently and loved it! These mini versions look good and sound incredibly savory. Another one on our “to try” list!

5. Sophie
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

Such a cute idea, it makes serving and clean-up so much easier. This would be ideal for a big Thanksgiving dinner or even an appetizer :).

6. biz319
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

Yum all things casserole!

I thought I would make individual apple pies in ramekins – I am testing it out tonight – I’ll let you know how it comes out!

7. That Girl
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 2:55 PM | Permalink

We never had casserole growing up, I wonder if that’s why it fascinates me so much now.

8. Tracy
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM | Permalink

Those do look very elegant! I’d be impressed if I was served those.

Posted November 18, 2008 at 8:03 PM | Permalink

Foodalogue- Thanks I think it is great to think outside of the box or casserole!

Mari- Thanks so much, hope you use it!

Rob- That was the funniest night. The kids love to hear that story, have you told your own?

muse- this is my favorite corn pudding recipe. That Alton he is great!

Sophie- Yes a Thanksgiving table of everything cupcake, Cupcake Mashed Potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes….! I think it would be a hoot!

biz319- Can’t wait to hear how they come out! I love little pies, but have never made them my self.

thatgirl- you will have to give one a try!

tracy- I would be impressed if someone just served me!!!!

10. Sheila
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM | Permalink

I love this idea. This would make a great lunch idea. You know I was saying my kids get bored with sandwiches; these are similar to mini quiches. I will have to try this.

11. Grace
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

what a unique idea! i would personally prefer a single serving, handheld wrapper full of pudding to a massive casserole…as long as i could have three or four. 🙂

12. Nicole (Nico's Eats)
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

Must try this one, too…. Yummy yum. I love all things corn. And all things pudding.

13. noble pig
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 3:37 PM | Permalink

You are a genius. How perfect is this. I swear mini’s make the most plain and normal dish seem so special. I’m trying this.

14. amy grace
    Posted December 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

i made this for thanksgiving! regular casserole though. turned out awesome and was a big hit! planning on doing it for christmas, probably, too.

15. Angel
    Posted November 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM | Permalink

I’m curious, if you replace the jiffy mix with cornmeal – does it taste the same? Do you not need to add anything else with the cornmeal? I thought jiffy mix was like cornbread cake mix. (With a rising agent etc) thanks so much!!

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

If you do use plain cornmeal you would have to add a rising agent.

16. campbell
    Posted November 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

What do you think would happen if I substituted whole corn kernels for half of the creamed corn? I’d like to have a pudding with a little more texture and tend to find canned creamed corn kinda yucky. Thoughts?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

I think it would be fine. Enjoy!