Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce

Get your pen out and copy this recipe down right now. It is that good. I have had this recipe for 15 years. I got it from my MIL when I married Himself. I have so many of her great recipes that I make over and over again. This Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce is from an old newspaper clipping she had from many years ago and this recipe is a family favorite; all the daughter-in-laws make it. You must cook this on the stove until thick but once it cools it gets even thicker, spoon bending thick. A quick reheat and you are back in business. We love this over ice cream but it can be used over cakes and other desserts. The fudge posed with its favorite old recipe card that is tattered and well used.

One year, at Christmastime, I made this fudge sauce for my co-workers and jarred it up prettily for each one of them. After the office party one of the gals approached me and asked if the Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce was good in the bedroom. I told her it is good in any room. After she shrugged and walked away, I figured out that that was not what she meant.

Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup peanut butter, I used chunky, it was all I had
1 – 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1/4 t. salt
1/4 cup butter
1 t. vanilla

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix all of the ingredients. Stirring continuously, bring mixture to a gentle boil. Stir until smooth and thickened. About 10-15 minutes. Do not burn, do not stop stirring. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into a quart jar. Cool and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. To serve spoon out a small portion into a microwave safe bowl, cover and heat on half power in microwave in 20 second increments until warm. Makes one quart.

Note- This makes a great gift!

Guess who ate that cute little cup of ice cream? My flab can answer that one.

1. EAT!
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

I still love to write recipes on scraps of paper – even in this computer age. My purse is full of recipes I have written down from magazines whil waiting for my kids doctor’s and dentist appointments.

Thanks for the recipes!!

2. HoneyB
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

I’m definitely keeping this recipe around for when I need some sauce 😉 Looks delicious!

3. j*amy
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 9:13 AM | Permalink

mmm looks yummy!

4. Lisa
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

You gotta love those good old recipes. But I would think this would be a little messy in the bedroom.I hope you told her that:)

5. Denise in PA
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

I’m making this one! I think Santa will be giving some for Christmas too!

6. Alexa
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

This is a great gift idea. I am always on the lookout for recipes like this one to make for the holidays. Thanks for sharing it, Robin Sue!

7. That Girl
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

This sounds SO good!

8. Sheila
    Posted November 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM | Permalink

Yum, yum! Peanut butter and chocolate, what could be better. I am definitely making this.

9. sra
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 1:42 AM | Permalink

It’s good in any room – that’s so funny! Found you through the Foodie Blog Roll.

10. MrOrph
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 6:07 AM | Permalink

Ooooo you got you chocolate in my peanut butter!

As much as I love Reese’s, I’d bet I’d really like this.

11. ARLENE
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM | Permalink

I call my well-used recipe cards “scratch n’ sniff” because you CAN. This looks like a keeper. I’m bookmarking it and your blog! Found you via the Foodie Blogroll.

12. Grace
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 11:16 AM | Permalink

well, i didn’t write it down, but you’d better believe that this page has been bookmarked. lovely recipe, robin sue. all i need is a spoon. 🙂

13. Nicole (Nico's Eats)
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Damn! I was trying to lose a little weight, and now I must make this!

Posted November 20, 2008 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Eat!- I am just like you! I love to write out recipes and write out my menu. Forget spread sheets!

HoneyB- It is yummy!

j*amy- Thanks!

Lisa- I was speechless!

Denise in PA- It is a great gift and well received!

Alexa- Thanks, I hope you can find a way to make it gluten free so that you may enjoy it too!

thatgirl- Thanks!

Sheila- I think you family would like this one!

sra- Welcome! Take a look around!

MrOrph- You are so funny. I loved those commercials. This is a great sauce!

Arlene- Now I have a new name for my recipe cards. They are just that! Thanks for stopping by!

Grace- Hope you likey!

Nicole- But if you bless it before eating aren’t the calories gone? Thanks for stopping in!

15. Anonymous
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM | Permalink

Dang! There goes the secret family recipe! Love you Sister!

16. noble pig
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM | Permalink

Oh this is a great gift. I want to give it to myself, I’m selfish.

17. Vickie
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue!
    I love your blog and I can’t wait to try this sauce. What a cool gift. Thank you for posting it.

18. debzy
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 11:38 PM | Permalink

ooooOOOOOooooh I’m so making this! Thanks for sharing the secret family recipe!!

Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM | Permalink

Sis- Yup the secret is out!

noble pig- great idea!

Vickie- Your welcome!

debzy- Your welcome. Thanks for the comment!

20. Dani
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

officially on my to make list 🙂

21. Anonymous
    Posted December 20, 2008 at 9:15 AM | Permalink

i have just made this. It is absolutely fabulous! Can’t wait to give this to friends at Christmas dinner. I am a Scottish bloke so if I can do this anybody can.

Thanks

Ewen

Posted December 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM | Permalink

Ewen I am so glad you liked this. Merry Christmas!

23. Girl Fisher
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM | Permalink

I made this today! And recently found your blog. This sauce is great! I made it to give away, and wish I was keeping some for myself!

24. Anonymous
    Posted November 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

I was wondering, if you let it get hard after cooking, could you cut it up in squares and eat it like candy? Would it hold up to fingers and should you refrigerate it? thanks, I don't cook much but I tried it as a sauce and it is delicious! Now I want it as candy.

Posted November 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

Anon- It does get thick once chilled but I don't thick enough to cut and eat by hand. Try a little and see?!