Post Thanksgiving Football Weekend Taco Soup

All Thanksgiving weekend the TV will be on so that Himself can watch all the football anyone ever wanted to see. With so many leftovers around, meals during this weekend are a snap. But after all the turkey and stuffing I want something else and I don’t want to cook it either. Here is where this soup comes into play. It is easy, no mess, and nothing really to cook, only heat. For being so quick and easy, I think this is a very delicious and super flavorful soup. You all have probably seen this soup in some form or other but here is my version.

Taco Soup
2 cans Ro*Tel tomatoes, do not drain- hot or mild, your choice
2 cans cream style corn
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans hominy, drained and rinsed
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet Ranch Dressing Mix
1- 12 ounce package andouille sausage, diced- I use aidell’s
1-2 cups water, optional

Place all ingredients in a large pot cover and heat to a simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Also perfect in the crock pot for when you come home after all the Black Friday shopping. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips or corn bread, and whatever else you love. Serves 12-14.

Note- I place all the beans and hominy in a colander and do a quick rinse.

A Constant Source of Entertainment: Vincenza
Vincenza is my grandmother on my Ma’s side. Grandma was from a small village in Sicily and after moving to the United States still carried many superstitions and practices from the old country with her. One of these being a professional mourner. Not that she got paid for it but it was a great past-time of hers to mourn at the local funeral homes for those she knew who had passed. Here is how it worked: Grandma got dressed to the nines, walked to the local funeral parlor, dragging my cousin Maryanne with her, looked for the names of the deceased she knew and proceeded to the appropriate room then began the mourning ritual. This ritual included screeching, crying, wailing, pulling one’s own hair, laying on the floor, slapping oneself, and sometimes climbing in the casket with the body. Maryanne said that Grandma would hit the door in full character and was quite the show woman. One day she entered a room, wailing, slapping, pulling, genuflecting, crying, hugging the other mourners and by the time she reached the body she was a site. She knelt over the body, looked in the casket and said, “Sommada *Bleep* (female dog), I dona knowa thissa won!” Straightened her hair, grabbed my embarrassed cousin, and walked out of the parlor with her head held high, as onlookers gasped and whispered, only to start the ritual all over again in the correct room.

Every Thanksgiving Day, for the last five years anyway, my children have enjoyed playing Thanksgiving Day Parade Bingo and Football Bingo. Click here for details.

Have a Happy and Thankful Thanksgiving!

1. Lisa
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

Funny story. Have fun!

2. Sabrina
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 11:02 AM | Permalink

That is a great Taco Soup recipe. And I love that story. So funny.

3. biz319
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

Ha, so you are a football widow too? And we have the superfan package, where one channel has ALL the games and highlights in red when a team is within the 20 yard line ready to score so you can jump to that game!

I don’t mind though, he loves it and I get to stay in the kitchen and watch food t.v. all day!

Great story about your grandma! My husband’s family is from Italy and he is first generation American, so I am Italian by marriage!

Have a great day!

4. That Girl
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

This is a great break from turkey!

5. noble pig
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Can I have this instead of turkey? Looks delish.

6. Joie de vivre
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 6:49 PM | Permalink

Not only are your recipes wonderful, but your stories make me laugh out loud every time I read them. Your grandmother would actually CLIMB INTO the casket with a dead body? Did she just like the attention or was she in it for the free food? I’m adding you to my blog roll list. I cannot miss another one of your wonderful postings.

7. Sandy
    Posted November 27, 2008 at 12:30 AM | Permalink

can you believe i’ve never made taco soup? i should try yours!
    HAPPY TG robin sue!

8. RecipeGirl
    Posted November 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

I love to find good football game watching soups and chilis. Bookmarked for sure!!

Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

9. Grace
    Posted November 28, 2008 at 9:08 AM | Permalink

when they aren’t out hunting, my brothers only leave the tv (tuned to football, of course) to eat and use the bathroom. if i thought this soup would keep them away long enough for me to watch a movie, i’d make it in a flash. 🙂

10. Sara
    Posted November 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

This looks great, I love the addition of the sausage.

11. Laura
    Posted November 30, 2008 at 1:31 AM | Permalink

I love southwestern soups like this one. But holy cow this is a funny story about your grandma.

One Trackback

1. […] Chowder Crock Pot Minestrone Soup Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chili Meatball Alphabet Soup Post Thanksgiving Football Weekend Taco Soup WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH KALE AND TURKEY ITALIAN SAUSAGE Disneyland’s Loaded Potato Soup […]