Two Ingredients Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

IMG_6414.jpg

You heard me. Two ingredients. Count them. One. Two. When my friend Bobby told me about this cake and that I would loooove it, I had to try it right away. It starts out with a cake mix *gasp* beat with a can of pumpkin filling. That’s it. The batter color was beautiful and since it had no raw eggs I got to taste that thick and creamy batter without fear. Delish. Bobby said that I could use any cake mix I wanted and that chocolate was delicious. I still needed to bake this up before I could say for sure that it would be a success. I have done all those fat free cakes in the past with apple sauce in place of oil and had to swallow tough and gummy cakes, pretending (hoping) each bite improved. When I removed this cake from the oven I was pleased with the beautiful color and texture. After it cooled I wanted a nice glaze, something with spunk. I thought to make up a glaze with apple cider to enhance the pumpkin flavor. The cider glaze was over the top good and I will make it again for other Fall-time cakes. After dinner last night, I served this cake and it was a hit with my family. It had the texture of a sponge cake and was not chewy at all. The taste was nice and I could not really distinguish a distinct pumpkin flavor but a nice flavor all the same. If you are in a hurry and need a quick, pretty, and tasty cake, try this one.

Pumpkin Cake
One Cake mix- I used yellow
1 -15 ounce can 100% pumpkin- puree, not pumpkin pie filling

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl mix cake mix with pumpkin filling using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Serves 8.

Apple Cider Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T. apple cider
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice

In a small bowl blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour over Pumpkin Cake letting it drizzle down the sides of the cake. Let set before covering.

Thanks Bobby!

UPDATE- Read through the comments and see how others are making this cake. Carol made hers into soft cookies! Cathy from Noble Pig loved this cake too!

Update 9/28/11- Just made these the other day baked up in 8 (8 ounce) wide-mouth mason jars for my kids’ lunchboxes. Under baked them a few minutes so they would be a bit puddingy and kept it really simple by sprinkling them with powdered sugar. They loved these!

You may also like my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

1. Veronica
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 8:37 AM | Permalink

Get out!!! Two ingredients?? That looks delicious! What a perfect easy recipe to prepare for a potluck.

2. Lisa
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 9:24 AM | Permalink

I have made this before as cupcakes with devils food cake and they came out great. I love the cider glaze.

• Cathy
      Posted November 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM | Permalink

I got pumpkin mix is that the same?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM | Permalink

It has to be pumpkin puree not filling.

• Krissy
      Posted November 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM | Permalink

I made this last month and again today for Thanksgiving. I used the Pumpkin Pie mix both times and it turned out great. I don’t follow the glaze proportions as it directs here, I just kind of eye ball it and make waaay more than what this calls for. I also put cinnamon in the glaze. Basically I just keep adding the ingredients until I get the amount and consistency that I’m looking for.

3. Dawn
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I love easy recipes like this when I am strapped for time.
    I just made your corn dogs. They were fabulous! Come check it out.

• Kara
      Posted October 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Do you need eggs and oil like a regular cake mix or just pumpkin and the mix?

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 6, 2015 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

Just the pumpkin and the mix

4. grahamstravelblog
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

That looks pretty good. I wonder about the “you can use any cake mix” comment though. I have a couple recipes that use cake mix and the results vary wildly depending on what mix I use.

At any rate this one looks pretty good. I don’t have apple cider though but I bet the icing would still be good if I used sour apple schnaps. Though I just left my bottle at a friends house because I was sure that he would get more use out of it than I would. If you are in the market for a solid green apple martini recipe just let me know.

• lisainwisc
      Posted September 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM | Permalink

Great with cream cheese frosting ….even store bought;)

5. Tanya
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM | Permalink

I really love recipes like this, especially when I want something quick. I’m not opposed to using a cake mix every now and then.

6. Theresa
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

How easy is that!!! Nice and quick and easy. Love that.

7. Sophie
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 4:55 PM | Permalink

Apple cider glaze looks and sounds like the perfect touch, this is a mighty tasty cake :).

Posted November 6, 2008 at 6:07 PM | Permalink

Veronica- Yup it is easy and good too. Bonus!

Lisa- I would like to try it with Devil’s food next. I like the pumpkin and chocolate combo.

Dawn- Thanks so much! Loved the Corn Dog post and your addition of cheese and cayenne. HOT!

Graham – sour apple snapps would work just fine. I was even considering Bourbon. I think a Bourbon glaze would do nicely too!

Tanya- A cake mix now and again can be a real time saver indeed! Thanks for your comment!

Theresa- Thanks for stopping by. Yup super easy!

sophie- Thanks! It is super delicious too! I love easy!

• Patty
      Posted September 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM | Permalink

I haven’t made this yet, but I think I would make it a poke cake, so the glaze would go into the cake.

9. Satria Sudeki
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 6:09 PM | Permalink

It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative article. I will tell this information again to my friend, oh yes I suggest you to check my blog on http://www.cake-world.blogspot.com , I hope the article on my blog will be usefull for you… and we can share each other. thank you… 😉

10. noble pig
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 11:52 PM | Permalink

I AM TOTALLY MAKING THIS…couldn’t be simpler!

11. That Girl
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 1:11 AM | Permalink

Without the oil and eggs this sounds super healthy!

• Bonnie
      Posted October 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

Without eggs and oil makes it super healthy? Have you read what’s in cake mix?? 😉

12. Anonymous
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

Miss Robin Sue,
    I made two of them today! It was the perfect thing! Thanks!

13. Grace
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM | Permalink

well hot diggity dog! what a great idea–kudos to the gal who first came up with it! i love your glaze, too–lovely touch. 🙂

14. HoneyB
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

Something quick and easy is sometimes the best thing! I like convenience too!

15. Ingrid
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

Man, it doesn’t get better or easier than that! Your photos are droolicious!
    ~ingrid

16. Ellie
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM | Permalink

Would it taste wierd if you added pumpkin pie spice to the batter to emphasize the pumpkin flavor?
    Yum! Thanks for the great tip!

• Laura
      Posted October 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

I added the spices for pumpkin pie to the batter – DELICIOUS!!!! Very moist, tender and it was pumpkin pie in cake form!

Posted November 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM | Permalink

Satria- Thanks.

Noble Pig- Make It Now!

Anon- I am so happy you liked!

Grace- Thank you! And Hurray for the first one who thought of this!

Honey B- Thanks for the Stumble! I appreciate it big time!

Ingrid- Welcome glad you like this idea. Try it out!

Ellie- Thanks for stopping in. I don’t think it would be weird at all!

18. j*amy
    Posted November 7, 2008 at 2:56 PM | Permalink

ooo…this looks yummy! i want to make pumpkin cupcakes for thanksgiving – this would work for that too, right? but i’m not a huge pumpkin fan…could i use a 1/2 can? i’m going to do cream cheese frosting though 🙂

Posted November 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

j*amy- this would work for cupcakes too. My kids did not think this tasted overly pumpkiny so a whole can is fine and have you tried my Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting- it would be perfect for this cake!

20. Meg
    Posted November 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

Fabulous…and so easy to make! I love it!

21. Lynne
    Posted November 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

We made this last night and it seemed a little “bland”. I think I will add in some pumpkin spice and a little bit of oil.

The glaze was delish though!

• Susan Catron
      Posted June 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM | Permalink

I used a spice cake mix instead of the yellow and its superb! I also add about 1/3 cup water and make the big muffin size cakes and they are perfect for a snack or breakfast, and no glaze topping, it doesnt need that.

22. Twin Tables
    Posted November 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

I love diet cake! This also works with a can of diet soda. Two ingredients: box cake mix, one can diet soda. Mix and bake. This provides a soft, absolutely delicious cake. Check out my blog on this delight: http://twintables.blogspot.com/2007/05/diet-cake.html

Posted November 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM | Permalink

Meg- Yes very easy!!

lynne- Thank you for your honest opinion. Yes the cake is very simple tasting therefore the yummy glaze. This recipe can go in so many directions with a little spice, chocolate, nuts, etc. I baked it in the purest and simplest form so I can know how to doctor it in the future and I bet many will be playing with this recipe for years to come. It will be fun to see some of the combinations people come up with. Thanks for stopping by!!

Twin Tables- Thanks for stopping in! I bet it is nice with a can of diet soda. It seems like we can almost add anything to a cake mix and come out with a decent cake! Cool! I’ll stop in and check out your recipe!

• Jenna
      Posted September 16, 2016 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

I saw another recipe with pumpkin that used a caramel glaze. Do you think that would be good here ????!

• Robin
      Posted September 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

That would be nice!

24. Anonymous
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

Awesome, I thought this looked familiar! Thief.

• anne thompson
      Posted October 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

make it with yellow cake mix and here in canada used e.d.smith canned pumpkin….was awful……..dont know what i did wrong….the texture was awful and they tasted mussy with no taste…….

25. Anonymous
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 1:24 AM | Permalink

The hell? You dummy, did you even read what you linked?? Here, let me help you:

“I saw this recipe for Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze on Robin Sue’s blog, Big Red Kitchen, I knew I had to give it a shot.”

Get out.