Two Ingredients Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

You heard me. Two ingredients. Count them. One. Two. When my friend Bobby told me about this cake and that I would loooove it, I had to try it right away. It starts out with a cake mix *gasp* beat with a can of pumpkin filling. That’s it. The batter color was beautiful and since it had no raw eggs I got to taste that thick and creamy batter without fear. Delish. Bobby said that I could use any cake mix I wanted and that chocolate was delicious. I still needed to bake this up before I could say for sure that it would be a success. I have done all those fat free cakes in the past with apple sauce in place of oil and had to swallow tough and gummy cakes, pretending (hoping) each bite improved. When I removed this cake from the oven I was pleased with the beautiful color and texture. After it cooled I wanted a nice glaze, something with spunk. I thought to make up a glaze with apple cider to enhance the pumpkin flavor. The cider glaze was over the top good and I will make it again for other Fall-time cakes. After dinner last night, I served this cake and it was a hit with my family. It had the texture of a sponge cake and was not chewy at all. The taste was nice and I could not really distinguish a distinct pumpkin flavor but a nice flavor all the same. If you are in a hurry and need a quick, pretty, and tasty cake, try this one.

Pumpkin Cake
One Cake mix- I used yellow
1 -15 ounce can 100% pumpkin- puree, not pumpkin pie filling

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl mix cake mix with pumpkin filling using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Serves 8.

Apple Cider Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T. apple cider
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice

In a small bowl blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour over Pumpkin Cake letting it drizzle down the sides of the cake. Let set before covering.

Thanks Bobby!

UPDATE- Read through the comments and see how others are making this cake. Carol made hers into soft cookies! Cathy from Noble Pig loved this cake too!

Update 9/28/11- Just made these the other day baked up in 8 (8 ounce) wide-mouth mason jars for my kids’ lunchboxes. Under baked them a few minutes so they would be a bit puddingy and kept it really simple by sprinkling them with powdered sugar. They loved these!

You may also like my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

Posted November 12, 2008 at 7:42 AM | Permalink

Anon Nov 11, 2008 7:45 PM- Hmmm?

Anon Nov 12, 2008 12:24 AM- Thanks!!

2. Anonymous
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

This sounds like it was made for me, it’s two of my favorite things mixed together.

3. JEWEL
    Posted November 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM | Permalink

Definately have to try this out .. its sounds delicious! Thanks for posting!

4. Frantic Home Cook
    Posted November 16, 2008 at 8:56 PM | Permalink

Recipes like this = love. I use a chocolate cake mix with the pumpkin for “muffins” and the girls eat them up. They get chocolate, I get them eating a vegetable.

5. Carol
    Posted November 17, 2008 at 12:25 AM | Permalink

I decided to turn the batter into cookies instead…they came out perfect. Super moist! I used spice cake mix with the pumpkin…just those two whipped up the perfect soft cookie. Top it off with the icing and it’s super perfect!

• Jessica
      Posted November 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM | Permalink

How long did u cook them and what temp?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

I am assuming you are talking about the muffins? 350 for about 20-25 minutes. A little less time than the cake.

6. Anonymous
    Posted November 18, 2008 at 2:54 PM | Permalink

I tried this recipe out as cupcakes for my co-workers. Very moist! I also topped it with eggnog frosting – the combination was fabulous!

7. Anonymous
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM | Permalink

made this with cream cheese frosting, all in all less than $6, and? delicious!

8. Anonymous
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

OMG! I made this for my son’s birthday, and I’m blown away!

9. Jennifer
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM | Permalink

made this for a Thanksgiving potluck and it was amazing!! I added pumpkin butter to the glaze (about half a cup) and it came out even better! thanks for posting!

Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. Love what you all are doing with this recipe. Mmm cookies! Cinnamon! Cream chesse frosting! Pumpkin Butter! Wow these are great ideas!

11. Ashley
    Posted November 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM | Permalink

I used this for cupcakes, but I used a spice cake mix, reduced the wet ingredients by 1/3, and added a little more cinnamon and nutmeg. I made a cream cheese icing too. They came out so good! Great and simple recipe idea! loved it

12. wilben
    Posted November 26, 2008 at 7:26 PM | Permalink

Made it today so easy to do and it smells and tastes wonderful. should be a real hit at our thanksgiving meal this year !!!

13. Anonymous
    Posted November 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM | Permalink

This came out great. Thanks!

14. Anonymous
    Posted December 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

Just a note – I believe the recipe might need some clarification – do you mean it to be made with canned pumpkin pie filling MIX (which has eggs, milk, spices in it) or just canned 100% pumpkin, as shown in the picture? Making it with plain pumpkin leads to a dry, crumbly mixture that can’t even possibly turn into a cake. Making it with the pumpkin pie filling mix results in the nice cake shown in the pictures.

15. Cher
    Posted December 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

Amazingly easy! Definitely have to do this one!

Posted December 8, 2008 at 6:03 PM | Permalink

Anon- I used the can of pumpkin as in the picture and had no problem with the texture. I imagine you can use Pumpkin Pie Filling that has all the additives too?! Try it.

17. Kristin
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM | Permalink

Last night I made this cake (along with your Spaghetti Pie recipe). Instead of using yellow cake mix, I made it with spice cake mix. After reading the comments on this post, I decided to also make your Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting as well. This was AMAZING! My husband quoted “Yum wrapped in awesome with a side of wicked good.” Everything I have tried off your website, which was recently discovered, has been a huge success! Thank you!

18. Anonymous
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

I’ve made this for years with spice cake mix instead. BTW– if you make it into muffins, each one is only 1 point on Weight Watchers.

19. Anonymous
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Found this via StumbleUpon a few days ago, and I happened to have the ingredients on hand, so I tried it. Wowzers. Yummy and super simple. Definite winner. 🙂

Posted February 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM | Permalink

Anon- Thanks for stopping back by and letting me know you liked it! I appreciate that.

21. Kristen
    Posted February 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM | Permalink

I got this recipe from one of the first Weight Watchers meetings I went to, but they did it in muffin form. I use the spice cake mix with the pumpkin. Yum!!

22. Liz
    Posted March 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

I made this for a company Christmas party. I didn’t have apple cider on hand so I used apple juice. This WILL be made again!!! Yummy

23. vdavisson
    Posted March 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

Ironic that at the end of the blog was a link to the Organic Products Institute. The cake looks good!

24. appledrop
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

Your directions are not very specific.
    Yes, you use a cake mix, but do you first follow the directions on the cake mix? (add water, oil, egg, etc)

Please be more specific.

If you say two ingredients do you mean you mix only the powder with the pumpkin?

Thanks.

Posted March 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM | Permalink

appledrop- Yes it is two ingredients- the cake mix powder and pumpkin puree. That’s it, so easy. enjoy!