Two Ingredients Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

You heard me. Two ingredients. Count them. One. Two. When my friend Bobby told me about this cake and that I would loooove it, I had to try it right away. It starts out with a cake mix *gasp* beat with a can of pumpkin filling. That’s it. The batter color was beautiful and since it had no raw eggs I got to taste that thick and creamy batter without fear. Delish. Bobby said that I could use any cake mix I wanted and that chocolate was delicious. I still needed to bake this up before I could say for sure that it would be a success. I have done all those fat free cakes in the past with apple sauce in place of oil and had to swallow tough and gummy cakes, pretending (hoping) each bite improved. When I removed this cake from the oven I was pleased with the beautiful color and texture. After it cooled I wanted a nice glaze, something with spunk. I thought to make up a glaze with apple cider to enhance the pumpkin flavor. The cider glaze was over the top good and I will make it again for other Fall-time cakes. After dinner last night, I served this cake and it was a hit with my family. It had the texture of a sponge cake and was not chewy at all. The taste was nice and I could not really distinguish a distinct pumpkin flavor but a nice flavor all the same. If you are in a hurry and need a quick, pretty, and tasty cake, try this one.

Pumpkin Cake
One Cake mix- I used yellow
1 -15 ounce can 100% pumpkin- puree, not pumpkin pie filling

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl mix cake mix with pumpkin filling using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Serves 8.

Apple Cider Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T. apple cider
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice

In a small bowl blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour over Pumpkin Cake letting it drizzle down the sides of the cake. Let set before covering.

Thanks Bobby!

UPDATE- Read through the comments and see how others are making this cake. Carol made hers into soft cookies! Cathy from Noble Pig loved this cake too!

Update 9/28/11- Just made these the other day baked up in 8 (8 ounce) wide-mouth mason jars for my kids’ lunchboxes. Under baked them a few minutes so they would be a bit puddingy and kept it really simple by sprinkling them with powdered sugar. They loved these!

You may also like my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

1. EAT!
    Posted March 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

I’m making this today!!

2. Greg Johnston
    Posted March 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

I made this and love it. The only problem I have is that the cake kind of falls apart, and no matter how I coat the pan, a lot of the top sticks to it. Pointers?

The any cake mix is true, but you can also use other filling to a similar result. I pureed a can of strawberry pie filling (not too fine, though) and mixed it with a box of white cake mix. It was delicious, moist, and every so often you’d get a bite with a strawberry in it. Definitely not as healthy as the original, but c’mon, we make it cause it;s easy!

• Susan Catron
      Posted June 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM | Permalink

I use spice cake mix and pumpkin and 1/3 cup water, no glaze. I make big muffins out of it and they are perfect for snacks or breakfast. They are smaller than a cake and come out of the pan easily. I have also made this in a bundt pan and it stuck majorly, so I use my big muffin tin.

Posted March 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

Greg- I have no idea why yours is sticking. Mine popped right out. Hmm? Maybe you can line the pan with parchment paper, that may help. The strawberry idea sounds marvelous! Thanks!

4. Jen L.
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM | Permalink

I’ve had this cake and a chocolate version of it, but I’ve never had it with a glaze! That looks great!

5. Unconventional Mummy
    Posted April 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

I am so pleased and grateful to you for posting this recipe. My husband has a severe egg allergy so we have not been able to eat a egg free cake (that tastes great) since I met him. The pumpkin taste was non existent in the Betty Crocker devils food cake mix… it was the most delicious moist cake ever. THANK YOU !!!

6. Jen
    Posted April 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

My husband made this cake — it is amazingly good like all the recipes on your site 🙂

7. Anonymous
    Posted April 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM | Permalink

I just made this cake yesterday; double batch (layered german chocolate and dark chocolate fudge) topped with toasted coconut marshmallows. No need for frosting; truly the most delicious cake EVER… had to increase baking time to ~40 minutes

8. Anonymous
    Posted May 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM | Permalink

Hi there…just came across this on Stumble and put one in the oven with spice cake mix and pumpkin…I’ll let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

9. Kate Fisher
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

I came across this recipe on allrecipes.com this morning as well. What a fun recipe! Very interesting to see what others experience has been with it.

I see several folks have made it into muffins. I'm curious about putting it into to two 9 x 5 loaves. With it being so simple I might just have to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Kate

• Susan Catron
      Posted June 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

works great in loaf pan too!

10. Annie
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, I have been following your blog for some time now, but this is my first comment. First of all, thank you for giving me ideas–especially easy family friendly ones. I like your blog because you don't overdo "making things from scratch" and makes me feel good to take some short cuts.
    I wanted to write a comment on this one particular because I have been looking for a birthday cake for my baby daughter who hasn't had any eggs yet. She will be 1 very soon and I wanted her (and me) to experience birthday cake all over her face and this will be perfect!!

11. plainsgal
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 10:56 PM | Permalink

I think someone's early comment about the outcome depending on the kind of cake mix is right. I used a Duncan Hines Devil's Food, and it was so thick I could hardly get it out of the bowl. The mini-muffins I made were ok, but really lumpy and didn't spread like I'd expect. Next time I'll follow my instincts and add a little liquid. : ) They still taste good, though, just look a little strange! Certainly an inexpensive experiment, too.

• Susan Catron
      Posted June 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Adding about 1/3 cup water helps.

12. Kathleen
    Posted October 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM | Permalink

I love to bake from scratch but sometimes you just cant beat the convenience and taste of a good ole cake mix. Can't wait to try this one. Love your blog!!!

13. MaryM
    Posted October 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

This sounded great for a pumpkin-food-themed party – baked as directed, toothpick not clean. Baked another 5 min., then another 5, then another 5 then raised the temp 25 and baked for another 8 then gave up! Flavor of the baked edge is wonderful – the middle, not so much. YMMV – I HATE my oven!

BUT
    thanks for posting. I will keep trying this one.

14. Kristofer
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

I found this recipe last year shortly after you first posted it and made one just for giggles. When mixing it I thought it would never come together, but it did. And it came out GREAT! I ended up making a couple more last year for family and friends and word has gotten around. I've already been asked for twelve this year. Maybe I'll just hand out recipe cards.

15. FoodieBear
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

I made this recipe and while easy thought the flavor tasted like raw flour and was on the dry side. However after reading so many wonderful comments Im determined to try again! 🙂

16. Meagan
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM | Permalink

I was out of apple cider, so i used a container of gerber's applesauce baby food, molasses, and pumpkin pie spice, and it gave a rich apple flavor while staying smooth.

17. TaGa_Luto
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM | Permalink

Hi, Thank you for sharing this very interesting cake recipe. What got my attention was your title, i was a bit iffy until i made it last night. This is my kind of cake since i'm not a baker. I'm posting it in my blog and link it to yours if you won't mind.

18. Anonymous
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM | Permalink

I love this cake. I made mine w/ a Carrot Cake mix and 1 can of pumpkin. It was really moist and slightly spicy like gingerbread. I topped it w/ a plain powdered sugar glaze.

19. Tanya @ Online Colleges
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

WOW! This looks so good. Can't wait to make it. Have you added chocolate chips before? I wonder how it would turn out with chocolate chips. I'll have to try it.

• KayB
      Posted September 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM | Permalink

It is great with the mini chocolate chips. I also got a very similar recipe at Weight Watchers and put in the chips. YUM!!!

20. strangelensgirl
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM | Permalink

OK … I just made this cake …. I used spice cake and it tastes wonderful! … one word of caution – let it cool completely before you try to take it out of the pan or it'll fall apart

21. Katey
    Posted November 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM | Permalink

I have this cooking in the oven right now…it smells delicious. I don't have any apple cider but I'm assuming apple juice will work for the glaze… I guess I will find out!

I used a reduced sugar yellow cake mix. I bought the mix by mistake actually, I meant to buy the regular one(for a different cake), but I'm glad to be able to use this one for something!

22. Anonymous
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

Looks tasty, but Cake Mix isn't one ingredient. I may be a biased purist, but that's some Sandra Lee jargon.

23. White Tiger
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 12:35 AM | Permalink

It smelled great while it was cooking and it tastes great too! Thank you!! The best part about is I have something that my picky kids will eat for dessert that's not just vanilla!

24. White Tiger
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM | Permalink

It smelled great when it was cooking and it tastes great too! And my children love it!!!

25. g
    Posted February 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM | Permalink

I MADE THIS WITH THE SPICE CAKE PUMKIN AN ADDED APLE CIDER IN THE CAKE JUST TO MAKE IT A LITTLE THINNER AND THEN USED THE ICINH GLAZE AS DIRECETED IT WAS AWSUM MY FAMILY LOVED IT THNKS