Baconnaise and Bacon Salt: Crab Casino Canapés

There are foods out there that are just plain fun. Like this one; Baconnaise. This bacon flavored mayonnaise developed by Justin and Dave touts their motto- “Everything Should Taste Like Bacon.” Amen and amen! So many other foods have had their shot at the alter like peanut butter and chocolate but now it’s mayonnaise and bacon’s turn at wedded bliss and let me tell you, there is no divorce in the future for this-honeymoon-will-never-end couple.

Trevor at J&D’s, also the makers of the already famous Bacon Salt and the good fellas behind Operation Bacon Salt, sent me a generous box of bacon in various forms; Baconnaise, Bacon Salt, and Bacon Lip Balm. Opening the box brought much laughter, I mean think of it, everything bacon! Doesn’t bacon put a smile on your face? Well unless you are Kosher. But wait this product is Kosher, so smile away! Vegetarian? Smile, you too can have this. That next evening, we had a neighborhood gathering to kick off the Holiday Season and I thought that would be a good time to bring on the bacon. I placed a bowl of Baconnaise out with some crackers and here are some of the responses I heard:

“Now this is something I would buy.”
“It’s Kosher too?”
“This stuff is fantastic, perfect for a BLT.”

I also put out the Bacon Salt for my guests to sprinkle on their popcorn. If you know me well, I always have a big bowl or two of popcorn out when I entertain large crowds. They sprinkled Bacon Salt with reckless abandon over their popcorn and all agreed it tasted just like bacon. They thought the Bacon Lip Balm was a hoot too.

I PROMISED A RECIPE

Baconnaise can be substituted anywhere one would use mayonnaise, at least in savory dishes. Other than the obvious uses; potato salad, deviled eggs, BLT’s minus the need for bacon, Baconnaise can be used in the most succulent dishes. I promised Trevor a recipe and after some thought I came up with Crab Casino Canapés. These little bites are perfect for our family during Christmas. We like to follow the Sicilian tradition of Seven Fishes at Chirstmas; we only do five as seven are too many. Crabmeat is one of our favorite seafoods and what goes great with crab? Bacon. This canapé recipe is based on the classic flavors of Clams Casino which includes garlic and red pepper, Parmesan cheese, and bacon combined with the classic appetizer called the Crabbie. A cheesy, bacon spread is made to canopy fresh English Muffins and baked to a bubbly, golden appetizer to wow all holiday-makers.

Crab Casino Canapés
1/2 cup Baconnaise
1- 5 ounce jar Kraft’s Old English Cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. red bell pepper, tiny dice
Dash Tabasco Sauce
6 ounces lump crabmeat
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
6 English Muffins, split

In a medium bowl mix the first five ingredients until smooth. To remove cheese from the jar, microwave uncovered jar for 20 seconds. Gently fold crab into the Baconnaise mixture. Spread crab mixture evenly over each English Muffin half. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 t. Parmesan cheese and bake on a cookie sheet in a 400° oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool 1 minute before slicing in half. Serve on a pretty platter arranged to look like crab claws. Makes 24 pieces.

Remember my Jalapeño Popper Dip? I substituted the mayonnaise in that recipe with Baconnaise and it was fantastic. Served as our Thanksgiving appetizer, everyone gobbled this right up.

WHAT ABOUT THE BACON LIP BALM ROBIN SUE?

The Bacon Lip Balm is the perfect gift for guys who hate when their lips are chapped and all wifey or girly friend has in their purse is Maybelline Long Lasting Fire Engine Red Lipstick. It is lightly smoke scented with a bit of a sweet taste on the lips and goes on smoothly without that overly waxy feel. Move over smoky bedroom eyes, here comes smoky bedroom lips. Heck with the guys, I liked it too.

Here are some lip balm recipes for giggles:

Bacon Lip Balm + Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Lip Balm= Kinky Foodie Threesome Kissin’

Bacon Lip Balm + Cheetos Lip Balm = That Cheeto Orange Glow Tells Momma Who You Been Kissin’

Bacon Lip Balm + Pop*Secret Buttered Popcorn Lip Balm = Greasy, Messy, Sloppy, I Need a Napkin Kissin’

Trevor sent a little card in with the package of bacon glory, stating for me to have fun with their crazy bacon products. And you know what? I did, I really did. Thanks Trevor!

PS- To my wicked good friends in Boston, if you find their Bacon Suit, give it back, ‘k.

1. Rindy R
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

Oh my word – I always tell my husband there is nothing more attractive on a man then the smell of bacon on a Saturday morning! I WANT this product! Bacon and Mayo together – I’m in heaven! Do they sell in the Virginia area or is it all mail order?

2. HoneyB
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM | Permalink

I’m super intrigued with this bacon salt! I have never seen nor heard of it before. I need to find me some! I’m going to check that jalapeno popper dip out because I’m trying to figure out what else to take to our Christmas party on Friday!

3. Sheila
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

Those look and sound great! I will have to try.

I might disagree with your comment about only being able to use the baconaise in only savory dishes. For some reason, bacon and chocolate chip cookies seem to be gaining a following. You might just be able to use it in a recipe and cut out some of the butter or oil. Who knows?

4. Linda
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of this, but I love the smell of bacon cooking in the morning…or when I make a BLT…or to add to a baked potato…OH heck. I love bacon!

5. noble pig
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

Oh my where has this been my whole life…good grief I need to get some…wow!

6. grahamstravelblog
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

I saw an ad for the bacon salt before, but I had no idea about the lip balm. That’s just plain brilliant, and worthy of being tracked down. Now if I only had that last week when my lips were all chapped in Russia…

On bacon and sweet: I did see a recipe for candied bacon not too long ago. It was a lot like making candied orange rinds. I could see dipping the candied bacon into the bacon mayo.

7. Karen
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 2:04 PM | Permalink

Have never heard of Baconnaise – wouldn’t that be great in, well,*everything*!!

8. Dawn
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

Girl you totally speak my language: baconnaise!
    I am so getting this–I love it.
    I took another one of your funky creations and turned up it a notch or two. Come take a look….

9. Emily
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

I own bacon salt (and have met the boys behind it) and love the stuff… but never even imagined making somethign this divine out of it! Thanks for sharing your recipe! We’re having a party food recipe contest and would love to have you enter this or another favorite recipe. I’ve linked to the contest through my name.

10. That Girl
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 4:59 PM | Permalink

I’ll have to send this to a friend who is totally bacon obsessed.

11. Sabrina
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

Oh my heavens…. Baconaise that is a glimpse into heaven. I want that.

12. Melissa
    Posted December 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM | Permalink

What a neat idea! Especially the bacon lip balm.

13. Grace
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

talk about an ode to bacon! and although i wouldn’t necessarily like to eat any, i get tickled just saying the word “baconnaise.” 🙂

Posted December 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM | Permalink

Rindy- I thought you would like this!

HoneyB- I think you would like the Popper Dip. Very nice! Thanks for the nice comments as always!

Sheila- I wonder what it would be like in a cookie. I could see it more in a cheese straw though.

Linda- Yup most of us sure do like our bacon. Thanks for stopping by!

noblepig- I think maybe you could find a nice wine pairing for this too!

Graham- The lip blam is pretty cool especially when you are hungry. That smioky smeel on the upper lip is great! Will have to try the candy bacon sweet concept for sure.

Karen- We tried it in many things and it was great! My son kept sneaking it on crackers, I could barely make my recipe!

dawn- Thanks for making the ham and cheese sliders and posting on them, great ad ins!

Emily- I will have to look into that, I have never done that type of contest before! Thanks!

That Girl- Yes it is good for the bacon obsessed.

Sabrina- I bet you all would love this!

Melissa- Keeps my lips from chapping just perfectly!

Grace- It is a funny name to say three or four times in a row!