Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Boy oh boy, I wish I had one of these right now, but I ate them all lickity split they were so good. Shame on me for not making these more often too. I got this recipe from my SIL, Ellen over ten years ago and I have only made them three times. Why? I have no idea because I love the chewiness of the oatmeal, of course the chocolate, and the subtle peanut butter undertones. This is a delicious bar and very perfect for this time of year for Christmas Homemade gift giving. Give this to your oatmeal, peanut butter lovin’ friends.

Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
1 C. packed brown sugar
2/3 C. butter, softened
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
4 cups quick oats
2 cups chocolate chips, divided
2/3 C. peanut butter
1/2 C. chopped peanuts

Beat brown sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla, stir in oats and press mixture into greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes; cool slightly. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and peanut butter gently in the microwave until smooth. Spread over oatmeal base. Sprinkle with peanuts and the remaining chocolate chips, pressing down slightly. Chill one hour in refrigerator until set. Set on counter top until room temperature again then cut. It will be impossible to cut if cold. Makes 24 bars.

A Constant Source of Entertainment: Children and Spilled Milk
A long time ago, when I was home alone all day with two little baby boys, my life was very exhausting. I cleaned, mopped, laundered, bathed babies, changed diapers, and did it all over again an hour later. One day, I had just mopped the floor. You know, the good mopping. Moved furniture, got the baseboards, corners, scraped up who knows what. When I was done my 3 1/2 year old promptly spilled an entire glass of milk on MY CLEAN FLOOR. I got back down on the floor and as I was wiping up the spill, almost in tears, I said, “Who am I?”
Dryden, looking perplexed said, “You are Momma.”
“No, who am I?” I said again more frustrated.
“You’re Momma!” he said.
“No WHO am I?” I asked very angrily, closer to tears.
“Momma?” he asked, now very upset, lip quivering.
“No, I’m Cinderella because all I do is clean up after you kids all day.” I proclaimed loudly.
“You’re not Cinderella,” he cried, pointing his little finger at me, “you’re the Wicked Step Mother.”
Then we both cried.

Have a Great Weekend! Enjoy your babies, spilled milk and all because look- they grow up.

1. RecipeGirl
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM | Permalink

YUM!

2. Anonymous
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

Now let me tell you a story about Robin when she was about 1 1/1 yrs old. I put her down for a nap and thought she was sleeping instead she got the baby powder and proceeded to sprinkle the wood floor, using the whole container. I tried to vaccuum it, that did not work. I tried sweeping, mopping, nothing worked. So her Daddy ended up refinishing the floor. Poor Robin has never lived it down and now all the bloggers out there know the story. Anonymous, Ma

Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

I bet you both cried too! But I was so doggone cute. That’s what always saves the kids, their cuteness!

4. Linda
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

OK Robin, you were learning how to “bake” and sprionkle your creations with confectioners’ sugar!!

These peanut butter bars look awesome! Another keeper recipe.

5. Sara
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

These bars look delicious, cute kids 🙂

6. Sabrina
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

your not the wicked step mother…. just wickedly funny. You should make the bars for the cookie swap.

7. grahamstravelblog
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 12:02 PM | Permalink

Those bars look pretty darn good. Though I’ve had my run in with some bars that just rubbed me wrong: bars are bars and shouldn’t be allowed in a cookie contest, grrr.

Anywho, I may give these a try since they are purely pantry item goodness. RobinSue, your mom is funny.

8. biz319
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

Those bars look so good! Thanks for sharing the milk story! I think we’ve all been there at one time or another!

Have a great weekend!

Posted December 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM | Permalink

Graham where you in a cookie contest and lost to a bar?!

10. Jen
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

Chocolate and peanut butter – my favorite combo for desserts! I may have to make these as gifts, if I can restrain myself and my man from eating them all 🙂

11. JEWEL
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM | Permalink

There is really nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate. My boys will love these!

12. That Girl
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM | Permalink

These look chock full o’ goodness

13. Dawn
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 3:16 PM | Permalink

I really should not be reading all this on an empty stomach!! Looks too good!

14. Tanya
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

Ooh wee those look good! And your kids are hilarious!

15. Alexa
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM | Permalink

Wow, these bars look so yummy Robin Sue!
    Thanks for your kind words… I am starting to feel better. Have a great weekend!

16. noble pig
    Posted December 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

Oh my word, sinfulness in a bar…love it…I mean classic, yummy ingredients.

17. Grace
    Posted December 14, 2008 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

these puppies have all the components of a tasty treat. not many people could pass these up, most of all me. 🙂

18. Laura
    Posted December 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

OMG I just had this moment today. My youngest spilled her milk and then promptly so did my eldest. I got upset, the eldest kept saying “It was an ACCIDENT” as though that excused all ills…. Sigh.

I am copying this PB recipe right now. Looks divine.

Posted December 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM | Permalink

Laura- Had a big spill tonight too! Poor little thing was cleaning up her spill and slid into the chair and smashed her arm. Lots of tears! Oh boy.

20. anudivya
    Posted December 17, 2008 at 1:45 AM | Permalink

They look fabulous! perfectly cut into squares too… great job!
    Love your blog too