Homemade Christmas Part III: Rindy’s Candied Nuts

I have made pecans from my Ma’s recipe for years using this type of meringue but I have never done it with mixed nuts. I have had Rindy’s Candied Nuts before and they are delicious, so much so I can’t stop eating them. I chose to do her recipe this year in place of mine. But I did add 2 tsp. of cinnamon just because, well, because. Shrug. But here is where it gets crazy. I read Joie’s Blog, An Amateur Gourmet’s Guide when she wrote up her entire Thanksgiving Celebration and if you have not seen it you must. She did the entire meal based on recipes her children could help her make and would eat. It is such a happy post. But in that post she makes her nuts in the crock pot. Yup the crock pot. So Rindy’s recipe, Joie’s method. Love it!

Since I doubled Rindy’s recipe I had to tweak things to work. I melted one stick of butter in the crock pot then added the 4 pounds of nuts stirring well to coat the nuts in the butter. See that lovely meringue cloud in that picture above? That was stirred into the nuts too. I cooked the whole deal on high heat for 5 hours with the lid OFF. I stirred that batch every 45 minutes. This worked out well as I had so many other things to do, like spend time with my family eating dinner and watching George C. Scott’s version of the Christmas Carol. I was able to get 18- 6 ounce bags of nuts to give a gifts. Thanks Rindy and Joie!

Tomorrow in BRK- How I barely survived the Red Velvet Cake Roll with only a few naughty words. I didn’t say them but I thought them. Oh boy did I ever. Genuflect, spit spit, salt over the left shoulder, or is it the right? Argh!

1. Rindy R
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 9:09 AM | Permalink

Oh my word – I would never guess you could do those in the crock pot – and I don’t think I would have ever tried it that way for fear I would ruin all my nuts. Thank you for trying, Thank you for sharing! How neat is that?

2. noble pig
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

Lovely, I am so making these!

3. Grace
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM | Permalink

4 pounds of nuts, eh? that’s a whole lot of nuts. i’m a whole lot of nuts right now too. this is what i get for being a procrastinator. 🙂

4. Sandy
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM | Permalink

i love seeing everyone’s last minute recipes – baking crunch-time!
    we love nuts around here …

5. Lisa
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM | Permalink

Great post! I love to find recipes you can make in the CrockPot, especially ones that sound so unusual and delicious.

6. Melissa
    Posted December 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM | Permalink

What a neat idea to make these in the crock pot. They were delish!

7. Sheila
    Posted December 23, 2008 at 12:12 AM | Permalink

I love crock pots. These were great!

8. HoneyB
    Posted December 23, 2008 at 6:43 AM | Permalink

I have to try these! he he, can’t wait to see the red velvet cake roll post. 😉

Posted December 23, 2008 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

Rindy- It worked in the crockpot! I took a chance and was so happy I did. A little longer but really freed me up!

noble pig- Enjoy!

Grace- I am queen of procrastination!

Sandy- Thanks it is crunch time. And munch time!

Lisa- Thanks I hope you try these sometime!

Melissa- Glad you liked them. Merry Christmas!

Sheila- Merry Christmas! Can’t wait to see which of the children is Grumpy and Dopey!

Honey B- The Red Velvets were tough this year!

10. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM | Permalink

Robin, Since I left for Hawaii so soon after my Thanksgiving post, I missed this. Thanks so much for the link and the mention. Your description of my post as, “it’s so happy” made me smile.