Pumpkin Cake Rolls

Right before Thanksgiving break from school, our school hosted a big pie bake sale. Being a big fraidy cat of baking pies, I don’t do pie crust, I volunteered to bake the Pumkin Cake Rolls. This time of year I like to bake Pumkin Cake Rolls and freeze them for all the holiday festivities and they make great Hostess Gifts. I decided I would make 18 rolls, 16 for the school and 2 for our own consumption. Here is a picture post of my kitchen a few Saturdays ago. It was quite an undertaking that from start to finish took 5 hours and 10 minutes (that did not include the shopping!)

First I placed all the dry ingredients in 20 ounce Solo cups in assembly line fashion.

I topped each with the pumkin puree.

Placed each cup of ingredients in my KitchenAid stand mixer added the eggs and mixed. I did these 2 and 3 batches at time to make it go quicker. After I mixed everything I poured the batter back into the Solo cups. I did need a few extra cups as each individual batter was about 22 ounces once mixed.

I poured the batter into greased 11 x 15 inch aluminum jelly roll pans that I had purchased for quick cleanup. I had both my ovens going and baked four cakes at once. As the cakes baked, I cleaned, blended more batter, removed caked from ovens, rolled, and cleaned more.

Once out of the oven the cakes were removed from the pans, rolled in paper towels dusted with powdered sugar, and set to cool. I re-sprayed the pan and refilled with more batter to bake some more cakes.

After all the batter was blended, I was able to wash my mixing bowl and start making the cream cheese filling in small batches.

I have never seen so much filling in my own kitchen before. I wanted to play like the God Father and just smash my face in there because that big bowl of cream cheese love would be my drug of choice.

Once the pumpkin rolls had cooled it was time to unroll and fill with about 2+ cups of filling, reroll, sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar, and double wrap in plastic wrap.

I thought it would be pretty to wrap each roll in cellophane as well and tie each end with raffia.

I affixed each with a label I had printed off from my computer. I placed on the label how to serve the cake, what ingredients, and the expiration date. I also made sure each person purchasing the roll knew that these cakes freeze especially well.

Dust with powdered sugar, slice and serve! I used a non-melting powdered sugar that I had purchsed from the Baker’s Catalogue.

Once done, clean up the entire kitchen!

Here are a few tips I have learned from doing this project:
1. Be sure to have every ingredient needed. I had to send Himself out for more eggs.
2. Measuring out all the ingredients in assembly line fashion was very fast.
3. Use as many dispossible helps as possible like aluminum baking pans and Solo cups.
4. Clean as you go so that your kitchen is not in a big mess at the end.
5. Order take out for dinner or have something ready in the crockpot. I made the mistake of not having anything ready. It was WWIII.
6. Never stop, keep moving and drink water as you work.
7. Have as much done prior to baking as possible. Kitchen clean, no dishes in sink, all wrapping and ribbon cut, all labels made.
8. Be sure you have room to store your baked goods.

Pumpkin Cake Roll
3 eggs
1 C. sugar
Beat for 5 minutes then add:
2/3 C. pumpkin
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 C. flour
Grease and flour a standard jelly roll pan. Mix batter together, pour in pan. Bake 15 minutes a 375°. Take out of oven and remove from pan. Put on towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up in towel. Beat until creamy:
8 oz. Cream cheese
4 T. butter
1 C. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
When cake is cooled, unroll and spread with filling. Re-roll. Refrigerate or may be frozen. When ready to serve sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes one roll that serves about 10. To make 18, multiply everything by 18. Wink.

Note- I did not beat the eggs and sugar separately. To save time I beat everything together and my cakes were fine. We sold each cake for $8.00.

For our Christmas Bake Sale I plan to make Red Velvet Cake Rolls.

Tomorrow in BRK- More adventures in the Italian North End. See what I found. Plus another ACSOE– A Constant Source of Entertainment.

1. Rindy R
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM | Permalink

My baking hero! Wow what an undertaking – you make it look so easy. What a delicious, yummy holiday treat!

2. EAT!
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

It is my dream to have a reason to buy so much cream cheese. I love projects like your pumpkin roll baking day. They look awesome!!

3. bobi
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 9:42 AM | Permalink

I loved looking at your pictures but I was EXHAUSTED knowing you had actually performed the task of baking soooooo many pumpkin rolls. Now when do you go into hibernation for that long awaited rest?

4. Susan
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

You are so amazing. What a wonderful project-I would love to bake with you for 24 hours!
    I sure hope your school appreciates you!
    I want to make this pumpkin roll…
    how yummy!

5. Sara
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 10:12 AM | Permalink

Your cakes are beautiful! I’ve never made a rolled cake before. I took some classes at a local culinary school and they had all our ingredients lined up in cups like that!

6. Annemarie
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

You are brilliant! This is so helpful. I just may have the courage to pull this one off! I’ve been in need of a divine red velvet cake recipe…

7. Sheila
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I love the cup idea! Now I know your secrets;)

8. Karen
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

Holy moly! What an undertaking – they all look beautiful! I love the tip: Don’t stop! LOL I suppose if one did, that’d be the end of it!

9. biz319
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

What a great idea to use the cups like that!

They look amazing!

10. Tanya
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Holy &*!%! You actually did all of that? I'm so impressed! I love how you had everything set up and ready to go. It makes things go that much quicker and less stress-inducing. The rolls look delicious! I'm sure there will be some very happy recipients!

11. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM | Permalink

If I made rolls they would probably fall apart. Let me know when you are going into business. I would buy them all the time:)

12. Reeni
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

You are an amazing machine! They look so delicious!

13. Dawn
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

LOL drink water!
    Girl, drink a martini!
    I’m tired reading this!
    Pass me a bon bon!

14. JEWEL
    Posted December 4, 2008 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

Robin this looks awesome. What an undertaking. Thanks for sharing. I want to make just one! well maybe three.

Posted December 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM | Permalink

Rindy- It went fine but at the end I was getting grumpy!

Eat!- It is good to sometimes do it all at once and get it done with one big mess, isn’t it?!

Bobi- Boy oh boy did I ever rest!

Susan- I really appreciate my school, that is why I do it!

Sara- I bet you can make a roll cake without any problem!

Annemarie- With some organization anyone can do this. Red Velvet will be done in a few weeks!

Sheila- No secrets here!

Karen- Oh if I stopped that would be the end!

Biz319- Thanks!

Tanya- When working alone one has to be very organized or I would have given up and cried! Believe me I’v done that before!

Lisa- Ugh a business would kill me. Been there done that!

Reeni- Thanks so much. Welcome!

Dawn – A martini, a great idea. I am a Cosmo girl too!

Jewel- At least make two, one for now and one for the freezer for later!

16. dobetter
    Posted December 5, 2008 at 12:28 AM | Permalink

AMAZING! I wouldn’t even know how to begin such a thing. Wow, I am so inspired. Thanks!

17. HoneyB
    Posted December 5, 2008 at 5:03 AM | Permalink

That is a beautiful slice of pumpkin roll! I have left an award for you on my blog!

18. Grace
    Posted December 5, 2008 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

what an endeavor! i think that, other than on the grocery store shelf, that’s the most cream cheese i’ve seen in one place. and the results look spectacularly delicious. 🙂

19. noble pig
    Posted December 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM | Permalink

You are so resourceful! I love this idea for mega cake making! You rock!

20. Tammyfaye
    Posted December 6, 2008 at 10:00 AM | Permalink

What an inspiration you are! I can’t wait to try this project on a smaller scale. Thanks for taking the time to document and share this great idea.

21. Amy
    Posted December 6, 2008 at 6:16 PM | Permalink

That’s a very impressive undertaking! Your rolls look delicous. I will have to give it a try.

22. Shannalee || Food Loves Writing
    Posted December 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM | Permalink

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with those who think you’re AMAZING. Love the assembly line. Incredible!

23. Rachelle
    Posted December 7, 2008 at 4:23 AM | Permalink

Wow that is amazing! Job well done! The rolls look great! I’ve never made a cake roll before, but I’m going to have to over come my fear and just try them.

24. debbie
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM | Permalink

i made 38 for a fundraiser for my uncle to have a kidney transplant. I just have to say I was tired afterward and my kitchen looked like a whirlwind went through it, powdered sugar in the cracks of hardwood floor and dust over the furniture, but it was an accomplishment, a challenge and I made it!d

25. Katie
    Posted November 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM | Permalink

Did you use all purpose flour?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM | Permalink

Yes. Hope you like the recipe! Enjoy!