Spaghetti Pie

I don’t do pie crust. My mother has repeatedly shown me how to do it. I used to watch my grandmother, Mammy, make it by the tons but me? Forget about it. But Spaghetti Pie is a whole other ball game. This crust I can do. Spaghetti Pie comes from one of my old college roommates, Lorraine. When she made this we were all very happy. A spaghetti crust filled with ricotta, a thick meat sauce and topped with cheese has to be the best little Italian Pie supper ever.

Spaghetti Pie
6 ounces spaghetti
2 T. butter
1/3 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 well beaten eggs
1 pound ground beef or Italian sausage out of the casings
1/2 C. chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 C. (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
1 C. favorite spaghetti sauce
1 C. mozzarella cheese, divided

Cook spaghetti and drain. In a large bowl mix spaghetti with butter, Parmesan cheese, and eggs. Stir quickly and well. Form spaghetti mixture into a crust in a greased pie plate. In a skillet over med-high heat cook beef or sausage, onions, and garlic until meat is browned and onions translucent. Drain off extra grease and stir in spaghetti sauce. Heat through. Spread ricotta over spaghetti crust and top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with meat mixture and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake in 350° oven for 20 minutes. Serves 6.

Tomorrow in BRK- Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars.

1. Sabrina
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Yummm. I always make too much spaghetti and sauce. This will be a great way to serve again. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks

2. Sheila
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM | Permalink

It does look good. Much less work than a lasagna but very similar.

Sabrina, great tip about leftovers. I always have to make an extra package of noodles for my family and end up with lots left over.

3. Anonymous
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

I wish I had read this recipe before I went to the store. Loved Sabrina’s suggestion also.
    This is too yummy not to try immediately!

4. Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, it looks terrific! I have never made Spaghetti Pie, I think it’s about time. 🙂

Thank you for the recipe. Great photos as always! ~m.

5. FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

Hey Robin, I’ve doing something similar for years…adding bacon, veggies, whatever. Also a neat thing to do is put them in mini muffin pans and serve as hors d’oeuvres.

6. That Girl
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM | Permalink

It’s almost like a spaghetti lasagna!

7. Marysol
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

Robin, that looks so comforting!
    It takes me back to my HS days (5-6 years ago) 😉 when the mom of one of my best friends made it. And it was love at first taste.
    I think I need to re-live that moment. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

8. Janine
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM | Permalink

This looks so good and it’s funny because my son’s friend had a spaghetti pie the other day and I was going to look how to make one!

9. biz319
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM | Permalink

Yum! I wish my daughter liked sauce though – she eats her pasta with just butter and garlic!

Maybe I can make a mini-version for me. Sadly, hubby has gone back to low carb, i.e., meat as an appetizer, meat as an entree and meat for dessert!

I am actually going to try to make ricotta cheese when I am off of work over the holidays – its supposed to be way better than store bought!

10. noble pig
    Posted December 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM | Permalink

This sounds wonderful, I always love spaghetti pie!

11. Sara
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM | Permalink

Your pie looks delicious, great comfort food!

12. Kristin
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

I made this last night for supper. My husband really dislikes Spaghetti Pie, but was in love with this recipe! This was such a huge relief as I love Spaghetti Pie!

I followed it exact, and it was amazing. Thanks!

13. Lisa
    Posted December 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

So good!

14. Grace
    Posted December 13, 2008 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

my brother would eat spaghetti every night if he could, and since he’s slowly becoming more of a cook, i think i’ll pass this on to him. it might become his specialty. 🙂

15. PaniniKathy
    Posted December 16, 2008 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

I’m so glad you posted this recipe. A restaurant near me makes a wonderful spaghetti pie and I’ve been wanting to try making one myself (although have been too lazy to look up a recipe!). Now I’ve got excuse!

16. Terry
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM | Permalink

Try substituting cooked rice for the spagetti. It’s good, that way, too.

• Robin Sue