A Proud Sister Moment

Last week while millions of you were watching President Obama’s Inauguration, I was watching an entirely different show. I did watch the Inauguration but in my office I had my monitor set on the whitehouse.gov website. This was an exciting time in our family as my brother, Rob, the White House Website Executive Producer and a team of many were ready to launch the new administration’s site at exactly noon. At 1159 my monitor showed this….

Right at noon while Yo Yo Ma was playing I clicked my refresh button. The screen went blank, I waited, I hoped, I crossed my fingers, I prayed, I held my breath, this was huge, the world was watching, and then…

Yippee he did it! They did it! This was a very successful launch. So after months of preparation, sleeping in his office 2 nights in a row during Inauguration, and eating goodness knows what, Rob can now add this major success to his collection. Last Saturday Himself and I enjoyed watching my brother’s footage of the launch, video of him walking opposite the DC crowds to get to the White House, and other great video he took of being there. I really enjoyed watching twitter on Inauguration Day as virtual high fives went out to Rob and the media team. Millions of people made it a great day for our new President and I was so proud that my brother was one of them. Check out the new White House website and blog.

PS- About a week before Inauguration Day, Obama popped down to meet his new media team and got the privilege to meet my brother and shake his hand.

Related Posts: The White House Christmas Tour

1. Rindy R
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Your brother is such a great guy – what a computer genius – and wonderful chef to boot! If things don’t work out on the program side – maybe he can just become the White House chef!

2. Ann
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

Well, just so you know, I was also watching whitehouse.gov!

I had decided about an hour before the gov’t change to see what was going on on the white house website. Saw the GWB site and decided to take a screenshot of it to see how it, and if it, would change. Then everyone on the news was talking about how Obama is officially the President at
    noon. So, me and my clever self thought, hmmm… I wonder if the website will change at noon.

So, I started tweeting it and asking my tweet friends if they thought the site would change. And lo and behold, I refreshed at noon… waited a second… and there it was. The new site! Flawless!!

Please tell your brother that there were definitely people watching the website, while millions were watching the inauguration!

3. Anonymous
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM | Permalink

My hubby runs a New Media Marketing company here in NYC and he directed me to the white house site shortly after noon. We were both really excited! I am so happy to see the new administration embrace the latest technology. Tell your brother we think he’s doing an awesome job!!

Cindy

4. Lisa
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

Wow! Congrats to your brother!

5. ~Vanessa~
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

Robin,

I can’t wait to show this post to my high school senior son after school. I am in awe that you posted this. One of the main things that impressed my son so much was the website changing exactly at noon and the completely different look. He actually made a big deal of it to me and made me immediately go look at the new site.

I also heard the new President mention on a talk show that the recipes section is one of the most heavily hit on the site. Us foodies! LOL

Hats off to your brother and if he would ever think about a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains I know a classroom in Maryville TN that would love to hear him speak.

Oh my son is going to be tickled…… thanks for the great post!!

Vanessa

6. Sabrina
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

How uber cool is that. Way to go Rob! I’m sure having an awesome big sis like you made a huge impact on him. I am going to hop over there now and check it out.

7. j*amy
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

that’s so awesome!

8. Karen
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM | Permalink

Yay, Rob! The new site is beautiful… congratulations!

9. Kate
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

Hoooooray! Hip Hip Hooorayyyyyyyyyyyy! That’s wonderful, and kudos to your brother.

10. That Girl
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

So you’re two degrees of separation from the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!

11. Debbie
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 2:11 PM | Permalink

yes, I have to agree.. WOW. very impressive. I would be a proud sister too.

12. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 2:13 PM | Permalink

Wow! I feel as if I am two degrees separated from internet greatness. ๐Ÿ™‚ At about 1:00 inauguration day, I visited the first ever blog post of the new administration. I was impressed with the site. I will check it often.

13. Rachael
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

That is fantastic! Good for your brother!

And you know what I love about this post….you said “Obama got the privelege of meeting your brother”. So true…..those that work behind the scenes are VERY important to the success of this administration. Your brother is obviously an incredibly talented guy.

Congtats to him:-)

14. Rob
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the shout out, big sis! ๐Ÿ™‚ And for everyone's comments!

Noon on Tuesday was quite the nail-biting moment– months of saying "Yes it will!" to the question, "Is it going to work? Is it? IS IT?!!!" Finally verified by clicking -refresh- … relief! High-fives all around & me sneaking off to my office, closing the door, contemplating a good cry out of sheer joy and relief…

Very honored and glad to be where I was and where I am at this moment in time.

Thanks again!

๐Ÿ™‚

15. Liesl
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM | Permalink

I know this doesn’t relate to your post, but I had to comment back about what you said about the ice cream and I couldn’t find your email!! I think Schwan’s still does the Cinnamon ice cream, but it is a seasonal flavor…or maybe they only still keep it in certian regions, but we still have it. That is so weird, I love the stuff. Actually I just plain love my Schwan’s man, I swear anything he brings is amazing!!! HAHA I will have to try the dulce de leche flavor…I bet I would love it!

16. Lucy
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM | Permalink

Congrats!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

17. noble pig
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 8:42 PM | Permalink

How cool! Did they have to wait until Obama was sworn in or did they just do it at 12? Does Obama know his brother’s sister (you) look exactly like Sarah Palin? You should get yourself an invite to the White House Halloween party and go as her…!

18. tamilyn
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 6:47 AM | Permalink

How cool is that? What a thrill for him-sucess on such a big venture and meeting the president! What a great memory to have. Thanks for sharing it with us!

19. biz319
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

So cool! You should be a proud sister!

20. Laura