Brunch Part III: Scotch Eggs

There is nothing more simple than a Scotch Egg. Well maybe a hard boiled egg itself. We have discovered that Scotch Eggs go wonderfully with Hot Fruit Salad. The sweetness of the salad needs something to cut that sweetness and the salty savoriness of the Scotch Eggs needs something sweet, preferably gooey. A Brunch Marriage. Over the years we have enjoyed the usual breakfast casseroles but we do come back to the Scotch Egg for its ease and presentation.

Scotch Eggs are usually deep fried but I like to bake them in a very hot oven. These little meal in ones are also great for picnics or the lunch box. There is really no recipe other than putting sausage and an egg together then baking. Simple.

Scotch Eggs
1 1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage- I used Jimmy Dean
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chilled

Divide sausage into 6 portions and flatten between palms. Carefully wrap each egg smoothly and completely with the sausage. Place them on a foil lined, shallow pan. Bake at 450° for 15-17 minutes, or until browned through. Drain on paper towels. Slice each in half and serve on a pretty platter along side Hot Fruit Salad or warmed Chunky Apple Sauce. Makes 12 halves. Serves 6-10.

Note- I always check one for doneness. Mine were slightly pink at 15 minutes but 2 minutes more and they were perfect. All ovens vary, so check to make sure all pink is gone.

Tomorrow in BRK- Brunch Part IV: Yeast Biscuits. They are light and fluffy, easy to freeze, and fuss free. Have as many as you want, when you want.

Related Posts
Brunch Part I: NJ Coffee Cake
Brunch Part II: Hot Fruit Salad
Brunch Part IV: Yeast Biscuits

1. Sheila
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

This would be an instant hit in my house; everyone here loves sausage and eggs.

Excellent tip about the lunch!

2. Anonymous
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:19 AM | Permalink

Thanks for this cooking suggestion. When we were living in London a friend who was a chef at a pub instructed me on the way they were prepared–Take your softboiled eggs that have been peeled and chilled and wrap them with your favortie breakfast sausage–dips your hands in very cold water to keep the sausage from sticking to your hands–heat produced by your hands causes the fat in the sausage to come apart and not seal well around the eggs–roll the finished product in fine bread crumbs and then deep fat fry till done. The coating is sensational! Then serve with a mayo/sour cream horseradish sauce or my husbands favortie is just plain old ketsup. Delish! Leslie

3. Dawn
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

I just love how clever you are. I’ve never heard of these, but am so glad to have found them because they are easy to make. And eye appealing too.
    And your NJ crumb cake looks super easy. I agree with the ratio, more crumbs, less cake. Oh yes!

4. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Brilliant! I’ve only seen these once on Anthony Bourdain. I didn’t know they were that easy. My son asked this morning for sausage and eggs. I laughed saying, “What do you think I am, a short order cook?”. He would love these.

5. Kate
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

There is a British-owner as-close-authentic-as-one-can-have-in-California pub not far from my house and everyone raves for their traditional Scotch Eggs (crumb coated and deep fried). I’ve meant to try them time and again, but have not gotten around to it yet.

Your version is much easier — baking is the way to go (I even bake my sausage and meatballs for pasta, and now pancakes of course).

My only concern is this: an overcooked hard boiled egg is grim. When it overcooks, you get that green halo around the yolk. Your eggs don’t have that green halo … so are you using slightly underboiled eggs, which then finish baking off in the oven? Or do you find the Sausage Insulation (hah! sausage insulation! I think I have lots of that) doesn’t affect the egg yolk?

6. grahamstravelblog
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

I’ve heard the term scotch eggs before but I never knew what they were until today. I’m not a fan of eggs (unless they are in a cake or something) so this is an automatic pass for me. This somehow sounds like a recipe I’d find in the Joy of Cooking and come away scratching my head.

Posted January 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM | Permalink

Sheila- Yup great for those hungry children!

Leslie- I will have to someday try them fried like you described. Thanks for the comment and tips about wrapping the egg!

Dawn- These are yummy on those cold days!

Joie- My kids think I am a short order cook too! I say, “What do you think this is, a deli?!”

Kate- I am dying to try the fried kind now as you are the second one to mention it. I brought my eggs to a boil then put the heat on low for 12 minutes. Drained and poured lots of ice and cold water over them. They are dry but with the moistness of the sausage they are fine and like I said the Fruit Salad or apple sauce is usually served on the side. Like someone else said they can be served with a favorite condiment as well.

Graham- It is funny that I will not eat a plain hard boiled egg but if it is this way I will eat it. My hard boiled eggs have to be deviled or in egg salad for me to eat them too. When I was little my Ma would put a peeled hard boiled egg in her gravy (Italian red sauce) and cook it for a long time until it absorbed the flavors of the gravy. We would fight over the egg!

8. That Girl
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM | Permalink

I’ve heard of these before, but for some reason they scare me! And I consider myself so brave!

9. Rachael
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM | Permalink

I am so glad you posted photos of these. I checked out a Southern Recipes cookbook from the library yesterday and a “Scotch Eggs” recipe was in there.

I read the recipe, but was having a hard time visualizing what the finished product would look like.

Very interesting way to serve hard boiled eggs and sausage. My family likes both of those things, so we might have to give them a try 🙂

Thanks for sharing that!!

10. Joan Nova
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM | Permalink

Believe it or not, I have never eaten this. Why? In fact, I’ve only become aware of it since I started blogging. You sure make it look easy and pretty!

11. noble pig
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM | Permalink

Wow, that’s nice…I have never seen this and would be a perfect side at any breakfast!

12. Anonymous
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM | Permalink

My first Scotch egg was eaten at the MacKenzie-Childs Oulet store near Rochester, N.Y. They served a little lunch there and you could watch the peacocks strutting around and admire all her “crazy pottery and furniture”. Oh, to have some of her furniture and dishes. I will tell you that your Scotch Eggs look so much better. The ones served were fried not baked. A bit hard and crusty with not a lot of sausage.
    Thanks Robin I’m inspired to make some – YUM YUM –

13. Lisa
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM | Permalink

These brunch dishes are just killing me who is eating healthy right now. I would love to have one of these.

14. biz319
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM | Permalink

What?? I think if I made this for my hubby he would just love it!

Thanks!

15. PaniniKathy
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM | Permalink

I’d never heard of scotch eggs before – I’m intrigued! Will have to give these a try.

16. Grace
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 7:48 AM | Permalink

here we have further proof that i live in a cave–this is a brand new concept to me. and clearly, it’s fabulous. so…when’s your next brunch?

17. Cate
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM | Permalink

I never knew how simple it could be to make these – printing now, thanks!

18. Mark
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 11:21 AM | Permalink

I’m afraid I’m deeply suspicious of any scotch egg that doesn’t display its natural plumage of golden breadcsumbs…I’ve ever seen a naked one in my life!

Posted January 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate all your words of kindness!

Mark- They are naked the naughty like things!

20. Anonymous
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

Being Scots (unlike the eggs which are an English creation) these were an integral part of growing up as snacks or as part of cold lunches/picnics. We can get them ready made in supermarkets but strangely the egg rolls about inside the sausage meet and they are indeed coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

There is another variation and that is mini scotch eggs which involves chopped up boiled egg mixed with the sausage meat and then crumbed and fried. They are perfect finger food for parties. I’m afraid I usually buy them and then sit and eat them in the car park of the supermarket before I get home. I don’t think I’ve ever had them hot.

They are right up there on the list of things not to eat to avoid heart disease, lol (but oh so tasty)

21. Mike
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM | Permalink

Yum! I lived in Edinburgh for a while, and I definitely miss the scotch eggs.

22. Anonymous
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 1:53 AM | Permalink

Hmmm,

I remember my childhood. we had a chef in our officers mess who used to make these using goat. it tasted heavenly.
    I have made it using potatoes and it tastes good too.

Cheers

23. George Erdosh
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM | Permalink

I also love scotch eggs but I certainly suggest to try sausage meat a grade better than Jimmy Dean’s. A good butcher shop or even meat department of a market will improve your scotch eggs significantly. of course, it will cost a little more…

Check out my latest (Nov/08):

Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods

24. Anonymous
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

This looks like a great idea. I’m thinking I might try it with some chorizo sausage and serve with fresh slices of avacado.

Posted January 15, 2009 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

George- I agree, there are way better sausages to use but I fail to have access to a good butcher:-(
    I think other types of sausages would be great too!

Anon- Now that sounds like a winner!