Brunch Part IV: Yeast Biscuits

My Ma made these first and now I think the whole family makes these biscuits. They are something between a biscuit and a dinner roll. Light like a biscuit, but doughy like a roll. One of my favorite ways to serve these is with some ham and honey butter. A good old fashioned Ham Biscuit. Now that is a meal right there. Serve these with brunch or with Sunday Dinner, they will not disappoint. Make some now, make some later. I love the convenience of this biscuit. Roll. Biscuit. Roll. Biscuit.

Yeast Biscuits
5+ cups AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 T. yeast
3 T. warm water
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature

Place yeast in water. Mix yeast mixture with buttermilk, sugar and salt. Set aside. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Cut in butter. Add liquid ingredients. Mix lightly. I do this in my stand mixer with a dough hook. I mix until it all comes together. It you feel it is too wet add a little more flour. I used about 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 cups flour. Do not knead. Refrigerate overnight in a ziptop bag that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. When ready to bake, pull off amount needed and knead slightly, roll out on floured surface, and cut into biscuits. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter as that is what I had. No need to allow the biscuits to rise. Bake in preheated 450° oven for 9-10 minutes. Makes about 36 biscuits depending on the size of your cutter.

Note- The dough can be refrigerated up to 5 days. Pinch off as much as you need. Also can be rolled out, cut, and frozen individually on a sheet pan, then stored in a ziptop bag in the freezer for future use. Let defrost about 20 minutes then bake as directed.

PS- After I made my biscuits tonight I thought that I should simply roll out and cut in squares. It seems if I make rounded ones, I have to re-roll the scraps into a ball, roll out and cut again over and over until the dough is all used. The more I manipulate the dough the tougher the biscuit. I think I will do squares next time. Not as pretty but probably lighter. Any thoughts?

Related Posts
Brunch Part I: NJ Coffee Cake
Brunch Part II: Hot Fruit Salad
Brunch Part III: Scotch Eggs
Cheddar Biscuits and Bunny Hutter
Lime Honey Butter

Have a great Weekend!

1. Linda
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM | Permalink

BAD, BAD, BAD. I just read about Tanya’s mashed potato casserole on her Sunday Baker blog…now gorgeous yeast rolls. I am having a huge carb craving right about now! These look WONDERFUL…and I especially like the part about the honey!

2. Sheila
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

This sounds like a roll/biscuit my children would really appreciate. I have made some rolls they like and some biscuits they really like, but these have the texture they always long for from a pilsbury biscuit (which I hate buying and making).

Thanks!

3. JEWEL
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM | Permalink

What could be better than warm heartshaped carbs!Robin I think square would be great too. They would be especially nice if you were planning on little sandwiches. I do that for teas. Enjoy, oh I wish I had one now with my coffee.

4. HoneyB
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM | Permalink

Oh my, these look scrumptious! I love the photo with the ham sandwiched in! 🙂

5. Rachael
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM | Permalink

My hubby is the “dough guy” in our family. He makes rolls, pizza crusts, etc.

He would LOVE this recipe…I will make sure and show it to him 🙂

Yummy!!!

6. Karen
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

I like the heart-shaped biscuits! I came *this close* to using a heart-shaped cutter when I made english muffins yesterday!

7. Patsyk
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

I love that you used the heart shaped cutter. But, I imagine you are right,the more you work the dough the tougher the biscuit. Nothing like biting into something you can’t chew. I’ll have to try these, I like that you can freeze them after they are cut and just take out what you need.

8. Sabrina
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM | Permalink

looks like even tough those rolls would be good

9. That Girl
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

These would be perfect for a special occasion dinner!

10. Grace
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

these morsels of magic would be the perfect vehicle for chipped-beef gravy consumption. they are simply perfect.

11. biz319
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

You posted this recipe just in time for me! My husband requested biscuits and gravy for breakfast tomorrow since I had so much leftover gravy from the monkeyball sandwiches I made.

Do you think these will work for biscuits and gravy?

12. Joie de vivre
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM | Permalink

Those are so sweet! Have a great weekend!

13. noble pig
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM | Permalink

Wow, those are easy. I love the hearts but I get you with the squares. I like that they don’t have to rise either.

Posted January 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

biz319- I think they would work unless he really likes a traditional biscuit. These are between a roll and a biscuit. Doesn’t hurt to try!

15. James
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

Those are beautiful! I’m going to have to borrow this recipe and try it out. I really like the non-traditional shape. I’ll have to look and see what cookie cutters I have for my son. Maybe dinosaurs!

16. Sara
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

These are beautiful, I haven’t found a great biscuit recipe yet, so I’ll definitely be trying this one!

17. Jennifer
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

Those look fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

18. Anonymous
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM | Permalink

Dad had the biscuit with white gravy the other night and seemed to enjoy it. I do not roll the dough, I just pinch a piece off and roll it in my hands. Ma

19. RecipeGirl
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

These are beautiful! I’m thinkin’ pulled pork sandwiches w/ those beauties!

20. biz319
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this recipe. The best biscuits I have ever made!

Biscuits have always been one of my failed attempts after trying DOZENS of recipes. This one not only is easy, but the fact that you can make the dough the night before is great!

Thanks!!

21. jancd
    Posted January 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

Those biscuits look wonderful. I need to stay far away from them!!

Made your Jalapeno popper dip today for our Bible Study Class. It was a huge hit and many wanted the recipe. I shared it with them directly from your blog with your address attached. Thanks.

22. recipes2share
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM | Permalink

I love the heart shape – they look fantastic!

23. Laura
    Posted January 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM | Permalink

These look awesome! I have been known to use a pizza roller or chef’s knife and cut my biscuits into a grid to avoid having to re-roll scraps.

24. mallardhen
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM | Permalink

What does AP flour mean?
    Biscuits look great want to try them but I can’t figure out what AP means.

• Robin Sue
      Posted April 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM | Permalink

All purpose.

25. Leona
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

Do you use any specific flour?
    White Lily?
    King Arthur unbleached?

• Robin Sue
      Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

unbleached flour- King Arthur works well!