Fancy Nancy Party and Children’s Party Tips

Daelyn turned six on Christmas Eve and that is a tough day for throwing a party. This year I waited until just this past weekend to give her a party. What a fun time we had! Daelyn loves to read and one of her favorite characters is Fancy Nancy. She also likes to get fancy. Fancy Nancy is the easiest theme to do, it’s so eclectic.

Shopping for this party is so easy, especially now that all of the Valentine’s products are available. Pink and purple everywhere. Fancy Nancy is about a little girl who loves to make everything fancy. While the girls were doing their crafts, I introduced them to Fancy Nancy by reading them one of the books. They all enjoyed getting fancy and having their pictures taken.

FANCY ACTIVITIES

You can see from the picture that each child got to decorate their own polar fleece scarf with pieces of feather boas. They also decorated tiaras and a picture frame to hold their fancy picture. They were very quiet and pensive while beading their own candy necklaces. So different from boy parties!

FANCY FOOD

The food really wasn’t fancy at all, just made it look fancy. The party was in the morning so we hosted a brunch.

NJ Coffee Cake
Pancake Squares
Fruit
Crackers and Cheese
Italian Meat Tray
Yogurt
Popcorn

You can see from this picture above that I used a mish mash of leftover plates. The girls liked the idea of getting their “own” styled plate.

FANCY CUPCAKES

The ladies got the opportunity to fancy up their own cupcakes. I placed the un-frosted cupcakes on a stand and then when it was time to eat, we helped them frost and decorate their own cupcakes. They were very serious about how nice their cupcakes looked. Their initial was the going design.

FANCY DRINKS

I offered the girls a variety of drinks. Orange juice, sparkling cider, and a Milk Bar which included vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate milks. This was very easy to do but was a big wow factor with our guests. I also set out plastic stemware with little umbrellas and some Fancy Nancy cups I found on clearance. Fancy can be very simple too!

SOME TIPS ON CHILDREN’S PARTIES

1. Be sure to have a variety of food with healthy choices.

2. Adults usually stay to avoid riding back and forth so it is nice to make them feel welcome with enough food to feed them too. Coffee is a must!

3. There may be a child that holds back and does not participate. Give that child space. Try to include them but do not push. They may come around and join the fun on their own, but do pretend you don’t notice or you may lose them again.

4. Keep the crafts and activities simple. Avoid painting or anything that can mess up party clothes, unless you give fair warning of course.

5. Use little accessories as decorations. You may be surprised what you can find around your own home.

6. Serve the children small portions of food. They are much too excited to eat a proper amount of food. This will help avoid waste or make the child feel like they must eat everything.

7. Be sure to ask parents if their child has allergies.

8. It is OK to have “down” time or free play. It is important to keep things moving but let them play a little too. If things get a little crazy, sing. Children love to sing. Try “John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith” or “Row Row Row Your Boat” in a round.

9. Forget the take home treat bags. The crafts they make at the party are their take home treats.

10. If some adults have stayed, ask them to help and participate. I enjoyed conversing with the other moms while we assisted the girls with their crafts.

I am sure I could have gotten way more fancy that I did but I like to keep things as simple as possible. It’s the little touches that are nice. Like a friend once reminded me…

Keep it Simple Stupid!

What are some of your favorite children’s party tips?

1. Rindy R
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 7:38 AM | Permalink

What a fun day – and Daelyn is BEAUTIFUL fancy or not! What a neat mommy.

2. Rachael
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM | Permalink

What a great idea…it turned out perfectly:-)

I love those books! Since I have no little girls…I send them to my niece. She loves to call me from Calif. and tell me all about what “Fancy Nancy” is doing. I even found “Fancy Nancy” dress- up clothes at Target a while back!!!

Daelyn is absolutely adorable and I am glad she enjoyed her special day πŸ™‚

3. Sara
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

What a great party, I’m sure everyone had fun. Daelyn is so cute!

4. Dawn
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

What a spread! Can I have my next birthday celebration at your house? LOL
    Love the decorate your own fleece scarf…fabulous!

5. Karen
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

I’m far from 6 years old but even I would love a party like this! How fun!! I love the “drink bar” with the different flavors of milk and a cupcake tastes so much better when you can decorate it yourself! Nice post πŸ™‚

6. Sheila
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

You know I love children’s parties. Unfortunately I have only “little” boys left (Abigail thinks she is so grown up).

The milk bar is a fabulous idea, I can’t wait to use that sometime soon. I never would have thought of that!

Posted January 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

Rindy- Thanks! I had a great time doing the Two Cheap Chicks thing today.

Rachael- They are great books, so very colorful too. Thanks!

Sara- Thanks for complementing Daelyn!

Dawn if the two of us got together, I don’t think anyone could contain us! It would be a huge party!!

Karen- I agree, fresh decorate it yourself cupcakes are the BEST!

Sheila- I get alot of my ideas from a great website called The Par Tea Planner

Risa does such a lovely job and has so many great ideas. Check out her many galleries and blog.

8. Grace
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM | Permalink

even though i’m unfamiliar with fancy nancy (and 25 years old), i would’ve had a blast at this party. πŸ™‚

9. biz319
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

Great job Robin Sue! What a great time!

I loved having parties for my daughter when she was little!

One of my favorites though was a fashion show. About 2 months before her 8th birthday, every Saturday I went to a bunch of thrift stores and bought all kinds of prom dresses, wedding dresses, gloves, glitty shoes, you name it, I found it!

My two friends came over and since my parents house was bigger, I had it there. We made the dining room the “back stage.” My dad put a curtain between the living room and the dining room.

One of my friends did hair, one did make-up and I helped them get dressed. I asked the parents to come 15 minutes before the end of the party, and had the living room arranged with chairs for the “audience” to watch the show.

One by one I introduced the ladies, described their clothes, etc. It was so much fun!

Miss those days!

10. noble pig
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

These are great tips and it looks like you all had a fancy time. I love the theme makes me wish a had a girl too! Happy Birthday Daelyn!

11. Cate
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM | Permalink

how fancy! you did nancy proud!

bonne anniversaire! and thanks for the tips.

12. Sabrina
    Posted January 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM | Permalink

What great ideas. Daelyn is growing up so fast. She is gorgeous.

13. Laura
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 12:41 AM | Permalink

My kids are too young for me to have party tips (I have to throw them parties??!? πŸ˜‰ ) but ohmygosh my eldest (3 1/2) LOVES Fancy Nancy. I must show her this post tomorrow morning!

14. Navita
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 4:58 AM | Permalink

God Bless Daelyn.

Hi First time here n u sure have a treasure trove of tips & great recipes…loved it n wud be back for sure.

Stopped by to say HI as i'm on a frend-making spree..;p
    u c i'm new to the blogosphere..3 months old only. πŸ™‚

tada!

Posted January 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM | Permalink

Grace- You seem like such a fun person that you would be the life of any party!

Biz319- That is the best idea ever! I will have to try that one out someday, she would love it!

noblepig- Thanks! You will have DIL’s! He he!

Cate- Thanks!

Sabrina- I will tell her your compliment!

Laura- This was Dae’s first bday party ever. We had family gatherings but nevr with friends! So no pressure to throw a party!

Navita-Welcome to blogging! Thanks for the comment!

16. Marysol
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

Wow, what a treat. And what a beautiful birthday girl. This is one event Daelyn, nor her friends, will ever forget.

17. Nicole
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

What a cool party. My daughter and all her friend love Fancy Nancy too. I will have to remember this. I love mixing and matching plates as well. One time a roommate hosted a tea at our house and she went to a thrift store and got all sorts of random tea cups. Everyone got to keep her own. This would be fun for a kids party too.

18. nicisme
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

What fun! Happy belated birthday to your beautiful daughter.

19. Anonymous
    Posted October 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM | Permalink

Hi,
    I am gearing up for my daughter's Fancy Nancy party and read about yours and got some neat ideas. Thank You:)