Ma Cooks Mammy’s Chicken Fried Steak

Ma, Robin Sue’s mother is back at Big Red Kitchen for more cooking with a memorable recipe from Mammy, Robin Sue’s grandmother.

When I married my husband I did not know how to cook because my mother did not let me in the kitchen. It was my mother-in-law, Mammy, who taught me the basics. She was a wonderful woman and we all loved her very much. I watched her cook for many years and I learned so many things from her. Although her recipe file was limited, everything she cooked was amazing. She made the best fried chicken, fried pork chops, and chicken fried steak. She would get in that tiny 8×8 kitchen of hers and cook the most plentiful and delicious Southern meals. She had 6 kids and they all liked different vegetables so she had at least one vegetable for each child. There were lots of veggies! Her simple mac and cheese, a mix of whatever leftover cheese she had, butter, and milk was delicious too. Her cakes were made from scratch without a recipe and were the most mouth watering, light cakes that I ever tasted. Shame we do not have that recipe. Mammy cooked most things from scratch so we had to watch to learn how she cooked since there was no recipe to follow.

When she fried chicken or anything else, she did not use an egg wash, she just floured the chicken and fried. She seasoned her flour well with plenty of salt and pepper, that’s all it needed. The following is one of her best recipes. Every now and again my husband asks me to make him a Mammy Meal and I know exactly which one that would be. Mammy’s Chicken Fried Steak with tons of vegetables, mashed potatoes and white gravy. Scrumptious. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do, it brings back so many fond memories of all those kids stuffed in that tiny kitchen eating Mammy’s big, big Southern home cooked meals.

COOKING MAMMY’S WAY

Place flour on a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix. Give it a taste, you should taste the salt. Flour both sides of the cube steaks. Do not throw the flour away! You’ll see why in a minute.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat canola or vegetable oil. Fry the cube steaks. Cook 7-10 minutes on each side. Fry the entire batch. Place on a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in oven.

Once the steaks are fried, pour out excess oil leaving a little in the skillet as well as the browned bits. Place the skillet back on stove and loosen browned bits with a fork. Add flour. Turn on heat to medium and add milk. Continue loosening bits and whisk into gravy. Cook until desired thickness. Check the seasoning and re-season if needed.

Once the gravy is finished place in a bowl and serve with the steak and the rest of the meal.

Chicken Fried Steak
1 lb cube steak
about 1/2 c. all purpose flour
salt & pepper to taste
4 – 5 T. canola oil

On a platter, mix the flour with salt & pepper. Flour the meat. Heat a frying pan til hot. Don’t get it too hot. Add the oil. Heat to medium heat. Place steak in pan. Do not crowd meat. Fry til golden to dark brown about 7-10 minutes on each side. You can place a lid partially on the pan to control splatter. Place meat on plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm. Do not throw the flour away. Use to make the white gravy. Recipe follows. Serves 6.

White Gravy
1-2 T. Flour leftover from dredging meat
About 1 c. milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

Remove grease from fry pan. Do not wipe pan. Add 1-2 T. Flour to pan. Whisk or scrape pan with a fork. Flour will be moist and lumpy. Turn flame on and add the milk stirring or whisking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium to high heat, stirring constantly til thickened. This makes about a cup of gravy. We like the gravy thin the reason for only 1T. flour. If you like it thick, then add 2 T. flour. If it’s too thick, you can always add more more milk. Makes one cup gravy.

Serve this dish with mashed potatoes, corn and green beans and if you are still hungry, add a salad and of course you can’t forget the sweet tea.

Update- Please check the cooking times on this as they have been changed to reflect what really happened and you do flip the steaks over! My Ma said I screwed this post up when I typed it for her. Forgive me! It is correct now. But she put me in time out anyway.

Other Posts by Ma
Ma’s Bracciol
Ma’s Ravioli with Ham and Peas

Ma

1. Joan Nova
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

What fun for you…to blog with your Ma!

2. EAT!
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM | Permalink

What a treat to have your Ma in your kitchen. Some of my favorite recipes come from my Mom.

What a perfect meal for this frigid weather we are having.

3. Rachael
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 8:25 AM | Permalink

What a great post and recipe!

Your ma made it look so easy….she’s a natural 🙂 It’s so neat that she is cooking your mother-in-laws recipes!

4. Sara
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

This looks great! Would you believe that I’ve never had chicken fried steak? I know, it’s practically un-American!!

5. recipes2share
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

yes, great fun to have such a wonderful blogging partner – lucky you!

6. Sheila
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

She makes it look so easy! I have tried to make this twice in my life and I have ruined it each time. It is Amber’s favorite meal. I will have to try this along with “Ma”:)

7. Theresa
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

What a great way to share recipes from generations past and to have your Mom in your kitchen with you. My mother was the same way; no written down recipes.

8. noble pig
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

I loved the story…LOVED IT! And the chicken fried steak sounds mouthwatering and delicious!

9. Karen
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM | Permalink

Some of the best meals are prepared not with recipes but from memory – and with memories 🙂

10. biz319
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 4:02 PM | Permalink

Oh, can’t wait to try your recipe – I did it once and the recipe said to use round steak and to cook each side for 10 minutes. It was so overdone!

I’ll use cubesteak this time!

My hubby will thank you! 😀

11. bakingblonde
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM | Permalink

I do not like country fried steak but those pictures may make me change my mind and give it another try! YUMMMY Especially with the potatoes and gravy

12. Jen
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM | Permalink

Chicken Fried Steak is my guilty pleasure! I just love it to all its gritty bits and greasy pieces 🙂 Thanks for sharing a family recipe!

13. Grace
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM | Permalink

oh, sweet south, how i miss thee. this is full of yum–your mammy (a term of endearment of which i’m particularly fond…) knows her stuff!

14. HoneyB
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM | Permalink

I guarantee this meal would be grumpy approved!

Posted January 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Thanks for all the nice comments on my Ma’s post. She says thank you! to all of you. I hope she will do more posts for me in the future. I love her home cooking and she has so many good recipes up her sleeve.

16. Ms Whit
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM | Permalink

I know this is a recipe site, however, I need prayer from everyone out there.

My husband’s nephew, 6 year old Dylan Moore, from Gaston , North Carolina , been diagnosed
    with Fanconia Anemia and is very sick in the hospital at Minneapolis Minn . where he has had a bone marrow transplant.
    Around Christmas time his kidneys failed and he had to go an dialisyes and be put on a ventilator.
    Well he sort of improved after people and churches prayed for him in mass numbers.

Now he has a fever of 105 degrees, has developed tumors behind his heart and the lymph nodes.
    His oxygen level has decreased and he has infection in his lungs.
    The doctors have done a biopsy on the tumors in the lymph nodes, no report yet, and they are talking about
    going into the ones behind his heart, which I understand will be very serious surgery.

Dylan has been thru so much, I don’t know how much more his little body can take.
    I am asking all of you to
    pray for him, take it to your friends, family and Churches, ask God to heal
    him so he can come home a healthy little body.

There is a site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylanmoore
    that tells about Dylan. Please log into it and read
    it and tell your friends to please pray for him.

This is from his Granny Frances and Papa Whit http://www.mswhit36@embarqmail.com
    We are the closest thing to grandparents that he has.

Thank you for letting me put this on your site.

You can send Dylan at card at

Dyan Moore
    920 Delaware St. S.E.
    Apt 2024
    Minneapolis, MN 55414

His parents have an apartment there and he will get the mail quicker than sending it to the hospital.

University of Minnesota Children’s Hospital-Fairview